PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring back Hoyer or Cassel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachhead

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Even if we don't trade Mallet today or tomorrow (or before camp) he's in his last year here IMO. Yesterday Cleveland and Minnesota took QBs. That means both Hoyer's and Cassel's teams now have too many QBs on their depth charts.

Should we try to trade for either of these known quantities or try to trade for Glennon or draft a rookie QB?

No, the patriots arent going to trade for either of these guys. If they do trade mallet then they will probably draft a QB.

I don't see either Hoyer or Cassel being available. Cassel will be the starter until Bridgewater is ready and Hoyer will likley keep Manziel on the bench to start the year. Neither Bridgewater nor Manziel is ready to play in the NFL.

The Vikings just paid Cassel a $3M bonus. That's a sunk cost now, but most teams don't think like that. They're keeping him.

I would think that both of their teams would prefer to retain them rather than trade them. I'm guessing that they would want to keep them as a veteran backup, or vet to start the season until the rookie is ready to start.

Cassel is due to make $2,650,000 in base salary plus another $3,000,000 in roster bonus, which from what I have read is all guaranteed; I don't think the Pats want to (or are in a position to) take on that contract with their cap situation. If Minnesota jettisons Cassel then they are back to Christian Ponder as their top backup, and that's a scenario that they clearly would prefer to avoid. The Vikings won only five games in 2013, with three coming with Cassel starting and one more when he played the majority of the game in relief of Ponder. The Vikings have over $10,000,000 in cap space, so I would think that they would keep Cassel and cut Ponder.

Hoyer's deal is for much less - $1,000,000 in base salary and a $250,000 roster bonus - but what makes that appealing to the Patriots also makes it appealing to the Browns to keep him around for the 2014 season. Unlike Minnesota, the Browns do currently have other options at quarterback, but none of them are as desirable as Hoyer. Vince Young hasn't taken a snap since 2011, and deservedly so. Tyler Thigpen has completed six passes since 2010 and was completely out of football last year; his 1-11 career record as an NFL starter says he is nothing more than a camp arm.

While trading Mallet away and adding Hoyer make sense for the Patriots, I don't see the incentive for the Browns to trade Hoyer (or for the Vikings to trade Cassel).

Cassel will likely be the Vikings starter.

Hoyer will probably be the Browns starter, unless his knee slows him down enough that Manziel passes him.

I don't think either the Vikings or Browns will trade their likely starters for a low enough pick to convince BB to pull the trigger on a deal.

Even if Manziel or Bridgewater win the job, their team will still want an experienced backup.

Not this year. Hey, if either are cut and will take a back up job with no chance of starting except via injury, I'd gladly take 'em back for a year as the vet back up while the rookie we drafted in round three (or whatever) gets NFL ready. I doubt they'd stay for longer and would wish them well as they go off looking to start (without being the starter until draft pick is ready - that kinda sucks.)

What is this, the "I miss my ex" thread? BTW, the Jags were the ones who took the best QB. Not Minny or Clev.

Glennon will probably be Tampa's starter again by year end. McCown is 35 for cripesakes.

What is this, the "I miss my ex" thread? BTW, the Jags were the ones who took the best QB. Not Minny or Clev.

Glennon will probably be Tampa's starter again by year end. McCown is 35 for cripesakes.
I'd put Bridgewater and Manziel over Bortles. Bortles = Bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back