PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking down that 77 Yard TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to add to this breakdown and focus more on Floyd's block.

I call this post: The Flight of the MouthGuard

upload_2017-1-2_2-33-25.png

upload_2017-1-2_2-37-4.png

upload_2017-1-2_2-38-3.png

upload_2017-1-2_2-38-53.png

upload_2017-1-2_2-39-49.png

upload_2017-1-2_2-42-43.png

upload_2017-1-2_2-43-44.png

Just a little FYI. It bounced. :D
upload_2017-1-2_2-46-33.png

upload_2017-1-2_2-48-38.png

I would like to add to this breakdown and focus more on Floyd's block.

I call this post: The Flight of the MouthGuard

View attachment 15416

View attachment 15417

View attachment 15418

View attachment 15419

View attachment 15420

View attachment 15421

View attachment 15422

Just a little FYI. It bounced. :D
View attachment 15423

View attachment 15424

It wasn't so much that his mouthpiece went flying as it was that he went flying and his mouthpiece stayed there. There's nothing better than a good, clean blindside hit.

It wasn't so much that his mouthpiece went flying as it was that he went flying and his mouthpiece stayed there. There's nothing better than a good, clean blindside hit.

Good point. But being the artsy fartsy type labeling my masterpiece "the suspended flight of the mouthpiece" doesn't work for me. :D

Was re-watching the Fins game, and had to loop the Edelman TD a dozen times, because it is such a great example of an offense playing at its peak ability.

Pre-snap
To start, I didn't realize in real time, but the Dolphins were showing an 8-man blitz against a 3rd and 7.

The Pats spent almost 10 seconds pre-snap to adjust this alignment.

Miami has four down linemen, two linebackers, three corners and two safeties. They've have Bobby McCain showing corner blitz from the left side, and a safety showing blitz from the right side and two linebackers showing blitz up the middle, Alonzo and Paysinger.

Against that, the Pats have 3 WR and 2 RB... Floyd and Edelman left, and Hogan right. In the backfield, they have White and Lewis as wingbacks.

You can tell, watching the tape, that the offense sees what they're up against, and maybe licking their chops. They go through their assignments, and the play clock is ticking down.

Reading the Corner Blitz
View attachment 15400

First, Edelman and Brady simultaneously point out McCain, who is not lined up across from JE in the slot, but is aligned tight against the DL showing blitz. If McCain comes, it's clear pre-snap the next closest defender to Edelman is the deep safety-- who isn't even in the frame. Opportunity knocks.

OL Assignments
View attachment 15402
While Brady and Edelman are discussing the corner blitz, you can also see that Andrews is calling out blocking assignments and the OL are looking to him as he counts out the defensive linemen by hand. Solder = Branch, Thuney = Jones, Andrews = Paysinger, Suh = Mason, Cannon = Wake. The other linebacker, if he comes, they have to drop to the RBs. And if either corner or safety come on the blitz, they will fall to the RBs to pick up, too.

RB Alignment
Then, Brady and the RBs spend a second or two on blocking assignments, first shifting White forward to pick up a linebacker coming up the middle, and then setting Lewis back to protect against the blitzing S on the right side.

They go from here...
View attachment 15405

... to here...
View attachment 15404

After the adjustments, here's what they have...
View attachment 15395

If the Fins send all 8, there are only 7 potential pass protectors, so the math doesn't work out so good. But, if they send 8, then the receivers are all 1 on 1 with DBs, and Edelman in particular is manned up against the deep safety. Is there any question where the ball has to go?

At the Snap
McCain does come from the left.

The safety (Hendy?) on the right does pretty much nothing-- assigned to shadow Lewis who's blocking.

Of the two linebackers, Paysinger comes up the middle in the blitz, met by Andrews. Alonzo drops into coverage, ostensibly to pick up Edelman in the slot. Linebacker on Edelman, lol.

The Pass Protection
In brief, the protection is amazing. Textbook "Do Your Job".

On the left side, McCain is blitzing. Soldier takes Branch and Thuney turns Jones into him. The two of them together move those guys outside and McCain gets kinda caught up, trying to get around the bodies from his corner position. White was initially deployed to pickup Alonzo. But when Alonzo drops into coverage, White swings back to the outside to pick up McCain as he turns the corner. White gets there in time and Brady is clean.

On the right side, Wake and Suh and Paysinger are all coming. As a unit, Cannon, Mason and Andrews stonewall the group and press them together into a big aquamarine mound of flesh that gets nowhere near Brady. On paper, Wake on Cannon and Suh on Mason seem like mismatches. But in the game, the overpaid Miami DL is absolutely stuffed.

Brady doesn't wait to throw the ball. He knows right away where the ball needs to go. Here's what the pocket looks like when he pulls the trigger.

View attachment 15394

In the frame just before this one, Soldier and Thuney are group-blocking three players between the two of them, to give White time to come back outside from the middle for the corner blitz. In this frame, White is there for the corner. But Soldier has stepped left to get a hip on McCain as he comes around, and as a result Jones has leaked through the gap created between Soldier and Thuney.

Brady might have had another half second before Jones got to him. But he didn't need it.

Edelman's Route
I have no idea what route Edelman was supposed to run, but reading the blitz he just runs four yards to an open spot and sits down to get the pass. This was clearly ordained. You can see that Alonzo is late getting there.

View attachment 15396

YAC
Edelman's escapability on display in the open field. Here, the deep safety misses the tackle. Alonzo is tailing the play.
View attachment 15397

The Block
Tony Lippett, #36, the corner who was covering Floyd on the outside runs with Edelman for a while and would eventually have caught him. But, of course, Floyd comes in and pops the guy hard. Lovely to see.

View attachment 15398

That other set of aquamarine feet belong to Kiko Alonzo, still trailing and never a factor at all in the play.

Summary
Top to bottom, terrific execution. Blocking was there, the blitz pickup was there, the ball was out, the receiver adjusted his route to burn the blitz, the open field elusiveness and the crushing block. Picture perfect. Do your job, know the situation, make a play.

The only member of the 11 offensive players that I didn't mention is Chris Hogan, who was lined up 1:1 on the opposite side of the play. He had nothing to do, other than meet Edelman in the endzone for the celebration.
Awesome, amazing. Hope to see some more stuff like that from you.

I'm sure they've practiced this situation many time, and how to beat it. Definitive Belichick.

It's like Ernie said in the "Do your Job" documentary.. games are often won or lost on the practice field. I haven't paid too much attention to the Dolphins DL under Gase as I have watched most of the games in condensed version on Gamepass but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ernie had one of his famous prep cards ready for this and similar looks.

Terrific analysis, the irony is that this play will be remembered by 80% for the huge block by Floyd and not for how the offense was completely in sync for it to happen. Great, great stuff @rookBoston

Beautifully designed and beautifully executed.

Edelaman kinda delays just a for a couple of seconds after catching the ball and that sucked in the DBs.

One of the reasons Brady targets Edelman so much - he always knows where he will be. They are nearly always on the same page and see the same things. I would bet people run different routes than Brady anticipates more often than we realize.

I need to smarten up.

I squalk and complain often TB targets JE11 waaaay to much.

This play is an example of why it is 99% of the time a good thing.

Those two have their own language.

That was like reading a great novel. I need a cigarette now.

d2e4e8dd9ef263e216afa8e306966bb1.jpg

Edleman was a QB and thinks like one although he wasn't a great QB mechanically. The smarts are there.

Others have already mentioned it, but with something this great it's worth repeating.........

This was a terrific breakdown. I can imagine it took some time to get all of the screen grabs, analyze yourself what was going on, and then be able explain it to the rest of us. Well, I'm sure it was a lot of work but I assure you it did not go unappreciated.

I found this to be incredibly insightful and appreciate your efforst in putting it together. Thanks, again.

Terrific analysis, the irony is that this play will be remembered by 80% for the huge block by Floyd and not for how the offense was completely in sync for it to happen.

Yes, agreed. The Floyd block is memorable and dramatic and what everyone will remember. Edelman gets the headlines for playing the starring role.

The more I review this play, I think the unrecognized guy who deserves special credit for converting this TD is James White.

To start, it's just impressive that he was assigned to block Kiko Alonzo, who has 40 lbs on him, and they trusted him to do that job. In the original alignment, the RB with the job to pick up the LB would have been Lewis, but it seems like Brady swapped White and Lewis intentionally; more confidence in White to get that job done?

And then-- this is the part that's really special-- White recognized that Alonzo had dropped into coverage, and diagnosed that it probably means they've sent the corner on the left side. He needs to get outside to pick it up. Realize, from where White is lined up, McCain is not visible through the bodies of the linemen, so he can't know for sure that McCain is actually coming. But White swings back outside to pick it up without hesitation (no time for that), and manages to get to the edge in time. Special read and special play.

You can see from the timing of the rush that if White hadn't shifted back outside quickly enough, Brady would not have gotten the ball off in time. The difference is only a thin fraction of a second, but it's the difference between getting off a clean pass, and a helmet in the chest of the QB just as he releases the ball. That's the difference between a sack or (at best) an incompletion, versus a huge game changing TD.

I expect in the team film review, BB will know to give White the credit he deserves for making this play happen, instinctive and courageous. The fans and media are unlikely to celebrate it properly, so we need to do it for them.

This is a great breakdown rook. Thanks!

And then-- this is the part that's really special-- White recognized that Alonzo had dropped into coverage, and diagnosed that it probably means they've sent the corner on the left side. He needs to get outside to pick it up. Realize, from where White is lined up, McCain is not visible through the bodies of the linemen, so he can't know for sure that McCain is actually coming. But White swings back outside to pick it up without hesitation (no time for that), and manages to get to the edge in time. Special read and special play.

Yep.. when seeing free rushers or missed open receivers fans/watchers of the game often forget that players don't get the nice perspective that we get. Just because you see something from the TV camera angle doesn't mean that a player on the field is able to see it.

The coaching staff really doesn't get the respect it deserves from many people around. Best in the game.

Man, you might have set a forum record for the most highly rated post.

And well deserved at that. You put a lot of work into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents