PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breakdown of Ref's calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On NFL channel coming up will be their usual segment that explains ref's calls.
Should be a good one this week!

PatsChick87 said:
On NFL channel coming up will be their usual segment that explains ref's calls.
Should be a good one this week!

Please keep us posted.

PATSNUTme said:
Please keep us posted.
Please record and mail VHS copies to each one of us tied to one of the cable cartels devoid of NFL Network. :D

Thanks!

Weak answer from the Head of Officials. He said the contact at the 10 was fine, Samuel didn't cut him off as they were looking for the ball. The said the call was an arm bar blocking Lelie in the end zone but that was trash, Samuel didn't have it extended and firm, it was just coming down in it's natural motion and flashed across momentarily looking like an arm bar.

B.S. call all the way.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Please record and mail VHS copies to each one of us tied to one of the cable cartels devoid of NFL Network. :D

Thanks!

Ah, yes!

(Friggin' Charter!)

BelichickFan said:
Weak answer from the Head of Officials. He said the contact at the 10 was fine, Samuel didn't cut him off as they were looking for the ball. The said the call was an arm bar blocking Lelie in the end zone but that was trash, Samuel didn't have it extended and firm, it was just coming down in it's natural motion and flashed across momentarily looking like an arm bar.

B.S. call all the way.

Wow. Pereira can't even admit it.

What about the Bailey play?

BelichickFan said:

B.S. call all the way.

And yet Simms during the game and Boomer at half time said it was offensive pass interference and that Samuel played it perfect. Oh, well what do they know about football.

Last edited:
pats1 said:

You could tell he wanted to admit it but couldn't do it.

On the Watson/Bailey he said that he just couldn't tell and I agree with him on that.

Actually, Pereira said that, as a matter of policy, he wouldn't second-guess judgement calls by the officials, such as pass interference. He never said whether the pass interference call was correct or not.

pats1 said:
Would you expect him to? Last blown call that was admited to just cost the Ref in question a rock through his window in the middle of the night.

hwc said:
Actually, Pereira said that, as a matter of policy, he wouldn't second-guess judgement calls by the officials, such as pass interference. He never said whether the pass interference call was correct or not.
Yes but unless I really misread his body language he disagreed with it. He couldn't point to anything that he thought was PI and just talked around it a lot.

Problem with NFL network explanation....

Here's the problem I have with the NFL network explanation...first they only showed the view from the opposite side of the feild. The official explaining
said he felt the call came because of lelies arm jerking forward as it appeared his arm was being held by Samuel.....problem is the reason his arm jerks forward is because as seen from the endzone camera lelie is actually pulling samuel toward him and into his body with that arm on samuels shoulder pad.....which is offensive PI. NFL network conveniently didn't show that angle. All in all should have been a no call at worst...best case could have easily been an offensive call. Oh well thems the breaks!

well

We can't expect the NFL to admit to a mistake on a team that lost. If the pats one, then I bet they would be out saying such (like the pitt call) but since the pats won, it would be devistating to them to do so!

NEM said:
Bullcrap, allthey had to do ws take another minute to stop and fereze the replays (there were three different angle) and anyone with any intelligence could have determined the ball went over the goal line and out....
:)

There was one angle which made it look like it barely went forward at all. Maybe I have no intelligence but I still don't know where it went out.

You know...I actually have no problem with the Int return...I agree with the official on NFL network.....inconclusive. Shear physics would lead you to believe the ball did cross over the pylon or perhaps inside the pylon. It pains me to say this but the only issue is the fact that we gave up a 99 yard pic return to begin with. Trying to blame the refs and get us of the hook for that mistake just doesn't make sense.....even if they may have erred on the original ruling. That being said....within a week or two the only thing I'll remember from that play is Watsons unhuman like effort to track down the ball.

DelawarePAT said:
You know...I actually have no problem with the Int return...I agree with the official on NFL network.....inconclusive. Shear physics would lead you to believe the ball did cross over the pylon or perhaps inside the pylon. It pains me to say this but the only issue is the fact that we gave up a 99 yard pic return to begin with. Trying to blame the refs and get us of the hook for that mistake just doesn't make sense.....even if they may have erred on the original ruling. That being said....within a week or two the only thing I'll remember from that play is Watsons unhuman like effort to track down the ball.
They showed different shots from different camera angles and that he still couldn't say but that he just didn't know. On the Samuel PI as another poster said they only showed one angle and that the side ref was in the right postition. Of course he never mentioned anything about how that judge never threw the flag. Also never said anything about how the ball was uncatchable to begin with. Lelie sells the whole thing by pushing off on Asante to fall forward at the end, making it look like he was pushed. Great acting job on his part, and IMO, what made the goal line ref throw the flag.

Mike Pereira_Dir of NFL Officiating said:
...unfortunately we had a couple games where we just weren't at our best...we have to focus on going forward to ensure that some of the misteps don't happen again...
Translation: Yup, we screwed up some calls and there is no putting that genie back in the bottle. Live with it.

Watching Mike's replay of the Bailey fumble, 'advance and transfer' (a ship handling term) is obviously not something taught to NFL officials.

The Back Judge called the PI foul on his "judgement" that Asante arm barred Lelie. The Back Judge was the official responsible for calling plays that go 'past' the goal line. The Field Judge was in his assigned spot, stopping just before the goal line, he was not the official making the call. There was no cut-off of the route, both players were playing the ball as pointed out in a freeze frame at the 11 yard line with both men looking up and back for the ball. So, the Back Judge made his call as soon as they crossed the goal line on the "judgement" that Asante arm barred Lelie, he then took an additional few seconds to watch the conclusion of the play and hunt for his hankie.

I have never seen Mike Periera look so flustered as he was on these two segments. Almost stuttering at times. That alone speaks volumes. He referred at one point to "he could see where Morelli began to go down the wrong path" i.e. he confused the rules about a player going down in the act of intercepting and retaining posession with the rules on a player maintaining posession long enough before going down and losing posession following contact and how in Mikes opinion "he basically talked himself into this one". Sad. Especially considering this was a reversal of a correct call.

When they came back to do the Pats he still looked uneasy and apologetic. Basically he made a point of illustrating how Asante did nothing wrong and actually had position on Lelie at the 10. The line judge saw nothing thereafter but after they cross the goal line apparently the back judge can rule on what he sees. He obviously saw the hand fighting but that is no call at best because both players were (and had been since the 10) looking for the ball and playing the ball and there was legal handfighting going on from the 10 on. If anything this was offensive PI on replay as Lelie was holding in an effort to regain position, but as we know it's not reviewable. Which is probably why they didn't show all the angles in this segment. You could tell again by his tone though this was not something Mike would have ever called.

As for the fumble, he said his first instinct was the ball went out of the endzone, and the first replay seemed to indicate that. But of the 3 or 4 other angles available 2 were inconclusive and one actually looked as if the ball may have gone out out of bounds. He sounded fairly tortured - said he's looked at this for days now and still isn't sure what happened. But he also said if it had been ruled out in bounds the replay would have upheld that call too. So basically it was a judgement call that could have gone either way - Triplett just ruled in Denver's favor initially and therefore that's the way it would stay.

Unfortunately nobody has really talked about the muffed punt. I could swear I saw a game this season where the same thing happened and they called interference. The complex explanation given after the fact was you could not interfere with or impede the receivers attempts (plural) to catch and control the ball as long as it remained in the air. I just saw it again on Game of the Week - with 2 slow motion replays, and the defender lunged for Troy the moment the ball bounced up into the air off his hands/chest. Troy was falling/stumbling forward reaching for it as it came down when the guy basically wrapped around him from behind hitting his hand and the ball and sending it to the ground. Oh well....

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:

B.S. call all the way.

I thought it was interesting that Mike Perira kept saying it was a judgment call so he was going to say if he thought it was a correct call or not. He said I will just explain what happened.

What a cop out!

pats1 said:

What about the line movement on the FG, that barely crossed the cross bar? That's should have moved the ball back 5 yards. No excuse for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes