PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady versus Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey all--

I'm wondering if we can convince the major networks to acknowledge that the name of the Brown's new quarterback is Quinn, and that calling him Brady in every headline is a little weird. It's as though they think there's a blood relation between the little Quinn and our all-world QB Tom Brady.

Maybe calling players by their first names works in college, but in the pros I find it really annoying. (See the Seattle Seahawks marketing campaigns...) Some news sources are already realizing this, but I want to stop the trend before it's too late.

LOL, I was about to tell you the same thing assuming you were going to ask if Quinn were likely to be playing when we play the Browns this year.

You're right, it's a pain in the ass. If I hear Brady I expect to hear about our Hall of Fame QB and not some rookie schmuck.

yes, exactly!

I called the thread "Brady versus Brady" just to highlight the irritation and confusion Quinn's first name is causing.

There's an article/post at profootballtalk.com that prompted my post-- Where it says, "Theisman doesn't like Brady." In my haste, I'm like "Whaa?" Why the heck not?

Then it turns out it's silly old man Theisman complaining about Quinn's tie and disheveled hair. Not the story I was expecting from the headline.

They know what they are doing otherwise they would have used his last name.

I thought this thread was about Tom vs. Kyle.

LOL, I was about to tell you the same thing assuming you were going to ask if Quinn were likely to be playing when we play the Browns this year.

You're right, it's a pain in the ass. If I hear Brady I expect to hear about our Hall of Fame QB and not some rookie schmuck.

Take it easy, BF and the rest of you guys.
I like Brady Quinn and I think he will be a good QB.
Afterall, he was coached by a former assistant coach of ours..
I'm just glad the Dolphins didn't have the forsight to draft him at 9.

Well according to Michael Smith, the fact that his name is Brady is one of the reasons he will be a good QB.(WTF?!)

yeah, Charlie Weis and a "B", "R", "A", "D", "Y" does not a pro-bowler make... unless it does!

Maybe I should just go ahead and sponsor a "Truth in Headlines" Act to regulate journalists...

Once he starts winning, if he wins, people will stop referring to him as Brady.
People call him Brady bc of Charlie.

Therefore the media folks made a connection...
Once Quinn starts winning by doing it his way with his players within his offense he will turn into Quinn.

Last week I brought something up to a friend of mine.

I suggested that if Brady Quinn's first name wasn't Brady, I think it would be highly possible he wouldn't be getting as much hype as he is getting now.

I'm not suggesting I think he is a bad QB.

ON the Contrary. I think he is going to be a stellar QB.

But you can't tell me having the name Brady, even if it is his first name, didn't help with the name recognition factor.

Now this may not be a good comparison because they are blood relatives, but I think if Eli Manning was Eli Smith, no way he gets drafted ahead of Rivers.

that's a really good point, i think-- i don't think it's a stretch to say that name recognition is as big a deal in the NFL as it is for, say, Ashley Simpson. The Weis connection gives the Quinn situation an air of plausibility, and it's something people kind of want to believe...

Is it attached to the mythology that now surrounds the Parcells-Belichick-Weiss-Crennell coaching tree? The perception is that someone like Belichick can just create a probowler using string, duct tape and a cornish hen...

The perception is that someone like Belichick can just create a probowler using string, duct tape and a cornish hen...

Blast it, that's the secret! I've been using mallard ducks and wondering why they all come out like Aaron Brooks!

Last edited:
Hey all--

I'm wondering if we can convince the major networks to acknowledge that the name of the Brown's new quarterback is Quinn, and that calling him Brady in every headline is a little weird. It's as though they think there's a blood relation between the little Quinn and our all-world QB Tom Brady.

Maybe calling players by their first names works in college, but in the pros I find it really annoying. (See the Seattle Seahawks marketing campaigns...) Some news sources are already realizing this, but I want to stop the trend before it's too late.

It just happened to me again! I went onto profootballtalk and the headline reads "Brady throws some 'wounded ducks'" and the summary of the story talks about Brady's accuracy problems. Then when I click on the story it's about Brady Quinn! Why can't they just use his last name to avoid confusion?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft