PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady felt dissed by Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Blue&Red

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I'm watching NFL replay. And you know when they do those "miked up" type breaks? I heard Brady, in the huddle, and he said "lets go answer the bell". An obvious reference to Peytons "compliments" to Brady. When will people learn not to doubt him . TB showered Peyton with praise. And that pompous *** says "Tom can really answer the bell"? Hey 5 head, hows it feel to get your bell rung?

I'm watching NFL replay. And you know when they do those "miked up" type breaks? I heard Brady, in the huddle, and he said "lets go answer the bell". An obvious reference to Peytons "compliments" to Brady. When will people learn not to doubt him . TB showered Peyton with praise. And that pompous *** says "Tom can really answer the bell"? Hey 5 head, hows it feel to get your bell rung?

This is purely speculation on my part but I don't think they're as `buddy buddy` as the feel-goods like to pretend. Maybe it's my imagination but I've seen a lot of between the line subtleties this week coming from the podium that sounds like a jab straight at Peyton. Belichick's "this isnt fantasy football" can be listed among them. I think Brady said something about stats, too.

This is purely speculation on my part but I don't think they're as `buddy buddy` as the feel-goods like to pretend. Maybe it's my imagination but I've seen a lot of between the line subtleties this week coming from the podium that sounds like a jab straight at Peyton. Belichick's "this isnt fantasy football" can be listed among them. I think Brady said something about stats, too.

Yes! Bill doesn't say much, so when he talks, every word and phrase has meaning. I definitely took it that way when he made the fantasy football comments.

You might be right about PM-TB not being buddies. However, they both are members of an extremely exclusive club. These two are active playing, legendary super star QBs for a sport/entertainment that dwarfs all other forms of American visual media. Every play they make, every play they don't make, every ounce of the massive pressure, every word they say in public is dissected, these are two guys who are scrutinized in real time more than just about anyone (certainly no one in "Hollywood"). It would be very surprising to me if that connection didn't rise above any fan perceived slights from quotes to the media. As a matter of fact, given these two both are well versed in the ugly trappings of what media is about, it would be surprising if they even took the time to hear what the other says to media or takes any of it seriously.

I'd bet the mortgage payment these two, at their age, care about only one thing when it comes to any personal rivalry: Super Bowl victories. How many games you won last year, what did ESPN say about you, why didn't you say I was superman to some mope of a sports reporter etc etc -- I find it hard to believe this is even in the thought process of either PM or TB. They may get some small fleeting charge out of breaking some record but rings is where it begins and ends.

Yes! Bill doesn't say much, so when he talks, every word and phrase has meaning. I definitely took it that way when he made the fantasy football comments.

BB taking a jab at PM? Not likely. PM, like him or not, has played at a high level for many many seasons. Given what BB values, consistently playing at a high level, it's most likely he respects PM quite a lot.

Taking a jab at PM runs counter to BB's own meticulously followed philosophy of say nothing about your opponent (maybe a few complimentary platitudes is about it). So if BB did take a jab at PM he needs to shut up (and, fyi, I'm a huge BB fan). He strongly enforces that 'no jab' rule with his players and he is, IMHO, obligated to be the example of that rule.

We are reading too much into this. As they reported before last yrs game on NBC when manning was hurt , brady was in constant touch and even had inputs about where he should go. Even when manning visited foxboro when he was injured they had a good micd up conversation . And this from Mike Reiss's chat last week
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51293
Mike
(12:08 PM)
Will start with a quick story that I also relayed in this week's P.A.T. video feature. It was 2011, the year Peyton Manning missed because of injury, and he came to town anyway. That was the time he was signing autographs before the game and then after the game, I happened to be waiting in the bowels of the stadium, outside of the Colts locker room and Manning was just standing there waiting. Had to be about 10 minutes. All the other Colts players were making their way to the bus and he's just standing there. Was wondering who he was waiting for and soon enough, Tom Brady walks down the hallway with his wife, Gisele, and the three share an embrace and a chat.

I think manning's words were Brady always answers the bell which makes its totally different. He was really responding to brady's comments of longevity and not being injured other than that one yr and playing QB every single day with consistency.

We are reading too much into this. As they reported before last yrs game on NBC when manning was hurt , brady was in constant touch and even had inputs about where he should go. Even when manning visited foxboro when he was injured they had a good micd up conversation . And this from Mike Reiss's chat last week
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51293

Thank you for sharing this story- it is an accurate depiction of the great respect they have for each other. I believe Manning reached out to Brady when he tore his knee in '09, and Brady reached out to Manning when he was out with that neck surgery.

Thank you for sharing this story- it is an accurate depiction of the great respect they have for each other. I believe Manning reached out to Brady when he tore his knee in '09, and Brady reached out to Manning when he was out with that neck surgery.

That's what we call.... a professional courtesy.

Brady enjoys nothing more than kicking the hell out of media golden child Manning. The fire in his eyes every time those two hit the field to square off tells a story within itself, Tom has took a proverbial s^%t over every peyton nut hugger and every TB12 doubter. War 'BRADY'

"Answering the bell" is a fairly common phrase. I find it hard to believe that this had anything to do with routine compliments they throw at the media about each other.

I think they have the 1991 Bird/Magic thing going but at a reduced level. They aren't buddies but as other posters have said - are contemporaries that are members of an exclusive club.

I don't think Brady and Manning are what I would consider friends. They're not going on vacation together, they're not showing up at each other's kids' birthday parties

They're more like work colleagues who have great respect for each other. Every day at the office, they appreciate and admire what the other does, and it motivates them to do better. They'd grab lunch together while talking shop, but probably not a pint after work, preferring to go home to their personal lives.

I also believe Manning truly meant that as the deepest form of compliment, because despite the records and MVPs, he consistently fails to answer the bell. Even in his Super Bowl season, he played like **** throughout the post-season (3 TDs, 7 INTs, 0 games with more TDs than INTs), and you could argue the Colts won in spite of him.

But I do think Brady's comment in that video clip was based on what Manning said about him. I don't think Manning intended it as anything other than a compliment, but when you're a 6th-round, 4th-string QB, you can't help but carry that chip on your shoulder forever and you look for slights everywhere, real or not.

I think you're supposed to answer the bell.

Judging by the likes it got, a few disagree with you. I'm not gay, so you're out of luck there. Sorry. Good luck with your search.

Just to be clear, I liked the original post because I thought it was funny and not malicious. Brady definitely thought it as a joke too because I do. ;)

To me, it just says that Brady's a competitor and maybe talking a little trash in the huddle. So what? Brady is way too mature a professional to let something like that diss him, if he was referring to it at all.

And as far as ringing bells goes, the only one of these two guys who's going to get his "bell rung" this year is the one who doesn't make it to and win the SB, so maybe both of them. By that score, they both got their bells rung last year, Brady by Manning.

Brady threw temper tantrums when he lost at backgammon to Dan Koppen. He certainly is going to be highly competitive with his "pal" Peyton Manning.

Also, I suspect they're not as close as they used to be, simply because -- I conjecture -- they've already said most of what they have to say to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe