Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Boston has lost its charm"

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well, if that one doesn't confuse, there was also the Boston Yanks football team in the NFL from 1944-1948. This was the NFL East in 1947:

Eastern Division

Philadelphia Eagles
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Boston Yanks
    Washington Redskins
    New York Giants

The NFL West:

Chicago Cardinals
    Chicago Bears
    Green Bay Packers
    Los Angeles Rams
    Detroit Lions

That was it.

2. Seacoast Fan

Seacoast Fan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +144 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

:ditto:

Except my advice to Deford would be: STFU and go away.

By the way, Frankie-boy, whatever happened to The National? Were you more loveable..or charming.... back when your ill-advised, flea-ridden and moth eaten venture crashed and burned? :rocker:

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +564 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Yeh, but I didn't feel like listening to you!:eek: But now, I admit you were right shmessy....did I just say that?:rolleyes: I MUST be losing it!

4. Tricorn Hat

Tricorn Hat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry for calling them stupid. I thought they were a soccer team.

5. notex

notex Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wow...i could see the connection he was making when reading the title...but what a ****ty article...oh yeah IMO that is...

6. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +194 / 14 / -3

Parts of the city have certainly lost their charm. Newbury Street for example.

The Pour House was once a biker bar, and then it went Yuppie with neon. There used to be a Mexican restaurant on Newbury that served huge pitchers of margaritas, and I spent many a Spring/Summer afternoon there taking in the sun. Well, it's now a Tapas place that refused to seat me because I was wearing jeans. Whenever I'm in Boston now, I avoid the Back Bay at all costs. I head over the river to Cambridge, sometimes hang out in Allston. People still keep it real in those places.

7. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

the sox were never the lovable losers. that is the cubs. the sox were the "curse of the bambino" and always had to hear it from the ny lovin' media. sorry, i don't recall anyone calling boston "charming". what they need to be calling us now is winners and champs and that's all i care about.

8. patpatriot

patpatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Being lovable Losers is highly overrated. Where this guy has a point is that instead of causing your typical NElander to mellow out and be less of a rude, paranoid, depressive; it seems to have had the opposite effect and turned Boston into a little NY. Ah well, it must be the weather.

And that guy was right, the Russell era Celtics never sold out. Boston was a Baseball/Hockey town.

9. Ahriman

Ahriman Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're missing the point. Those "lovable losers", to the media and outsiders, were the fans moreso than the players; the heartache we felt is what Deford is referring to. The players are in an entirely different 'sphere.

You guys are really searching for any and all possible slights, real or perceived, huh? I think this all stems from people not knowing how to be comfortable with winning -- dominating, in this case. Everyone gave us that proverbial "pat on the head" when our teams were stinking up the sports scene. I don't think we were necessarily wanting everyone's approval for all those years. In fact, I'm fairly certain we weren't, but we sure did get used to it. And now? It seems people are having a hard time dealing with that being gone.

Again, I think people should be thrilled about this. Those old memories of being a sports fan here have been stomped into the ground. We should focus more on the winning than the fact that people don't like consistent winners.

The Pats are the ones that got this whole thing started. For that, I'll be ever grateful.

10. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,164 / 27 / -37

#15 Jersey

11. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,164 / 27 / -37

#15 Jersey

12. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +194 / 14 / -3

Funny to watch Flutie turn around and watch Ozzy as he runs out onto the field.

13. Halifax_Pats_Fan

Halifax_Pats_Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -1

Man, that was an awesome trip back in time, Jonathan was a bad mofo too..thanks for that...

14. Hardboiled

Hardboiled Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Who said anything about going back? Move to Cleveland? What are you talking about?

Speak for yourself about being "tormented." " Maybe others thought, "Oh those Red Sox and Patriots fans - they lose ever year and still root for their team. Isn't that cute."
    But I wanted a winner every year and still do.

You can call Deford the "preeminent writers of his time" but he never did anything for me. Ever hear his pointless essays on public radio? He gets a pass because he appears to be "writer' in a sports world. But to be clear, I also think Leigh Montville is a joke. Sports journalism is about finding filler. Take a thought that should be a paragraph (or less) and stretch it into a column without adding anything of substance.

The honest title should have been "We liked Boston and Boston fans when they was losing." I'm ok with that and understand it. Just remember Frank, it was your perception and only that.

15. Ahriman

Ahriman Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did you even read what I wrote? It sure seems like you're just another one in the endless stream of posters looking any possible way to misinterpret what someone says in order to feel slighted.

You go through the histrionics of feeling offended and then end up agreeing with me. Riiight.

16. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Charm? We don' need no steenkin' charm!

17. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Gotta see a sig with Belichick for that.

18. Hardboiled

Hardboiled Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ahriman,

I don't feel slighted.

You said, "Deford is one of the preeminent writers of his time. Like it or not, we were once the tormented "lovable losers." "

Disagree with both those.

You're fine to like Deford and to have been a tormented lovable loser. I don't think most fans would characterize themselves that way. As Shmessy commented, the paradigm has shifted for the Defords of the media and other outsiders.

If the Cubs ever win a World Series, Deford will write another puff piece about how it was all better when the Cubs were losing. He'll ponder, "Didn't we like Chicago more then?" It's probably already written with keen references to "The Goat", "The Fire", "Mayor Daly" and "Al Capone." Shoot, didn't hot dogs taste better on Clark Street?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.