PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Globe Article by Shaughnessy About Patriots Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me guess "the patriots destroyed their tomato can opponent. Their schedule/division is full of tomato cans. If they can't win a championship this year full of a league full of tomato cans it will be a massive failure". Let me know how close I was for those who read it

:eek::eek:

Dude... remember, with great power, comes great responsibility. ;)

Let me guess "the patriots destroyed their tomato can opponent. Their schedule/division is full of tomato cans. If they can't win a championship this year full of a league full of tomato cans it will be a massive failure". Let me know how close I was for those who read it
Pretty much verbatim.

I won't read CHB's article. What does that say about me? It says I have read him nearly all my life. I never cared for his negativity, but he'd have some good articles and he is a talented writer. The teams I followed (Red Sox, Celtics, Pats, Bruins) were always awful or always choked so his negativity wasn't entirely misplaced. But then they started winning and winning a lot with the Pats being the most dominant team in football since 2001 and yet he could always find some negative aspect. So I started reading him less often and then rarely. Then I swore him off, but would occasionally catch an article and remember why I stopped. Now I don't read him at all. If he wrote a positive, well written article, good for him, but I won't read it.

AMEN Brother! Nicely sums up my attitude as well.

If you don't read the article, then I don't understand why you would even bother replying to this thread.
Because we're already so nauseated by what he's done in the past we don't have to get another sample. He continues to use his only true gift, which is to irritate others, for his own benefit.

It's like my old Eastern European grandmother saying "try the head cheese, maybe this time you will like it". Nope, it's still the gelatinous renderings of the head of a pig, and I'm still not going to like it. There's plenty of food I like already and I don't need to resort to head cheese to get through my day.

What's even more surprising is why would anyone bother to read him at all? Just because he writes for a big showy newspaper? Do you think we have some sort of obligation to read him? He surely doesn't show any respect for us, why should we show any respect for him?

I'm done with the CHB just like I'm done with head cheese. No need for another sample.

I'll give Shaughnessy credit for trying to get back on the bandwagon and into the good graces of Patriots fans, but we can never forget his article after Goodell upheld the Pash report on July 29th (Full link below). Thank goodness that writers like Gary Myers and Mike Lupica (in New York ****ing City!) saw through the charade from the beginning.

Dan Shaughnessy. July 29:
"What do you say now, Patriot fans? Still think the NFL is out to get the Patriots? Still think Tom Brady is clean? Still think this is a witch hunt?
"Of course you do. And that is why at a time when you should be embarrassed, you are probably emboldened.
"Please. Give up. It’s time for local loyalists to parachute down from Planet Patriot and get in touch with reality. Stop twisting yourselves into knots to justify the petty crimes and coverups of the Patriots and their quarterback.
"According to the NFL, the Patriots cheated. They tampered with footballs after the balls were approved by game officials. The NFL terms it an ongoing “scheme.’’ It’s not a huge transgression, but the tampering was done to gain a competitive advantage. It appears to have been systematic. Tom Brady knew about it, then he destroyed evidence."

My emphasis in Bold.

Thanks Goodness, also, that the name of the judge was Richard Berman and not Dan Shaughnessy. The CHB would have probably apologized to Goodell for making him go through the trouble of appearing in court to discuss the "petty crimes and coverups of the Patriots and their quarterback."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/07/28/shaughnessy/T32IKjU6IVYjEWml2YfrMI/story.html

I'll give Shaughnessy credit for trying to get back on the bandwagon and into the good graces of Patriots fans, but we can never forget his article after Goodell upheld the Pash report on July 29th (Full link below). Thank goodness that writers like Gary Myers and Mike Lupica (in New York ****ing City!) saw through the charade from the beginning.

"What do you say now, Patriot fans? Still think the NFL is out to get the Patriots? Still think Tom Brady is clean? Still think this is a witch hunt?
"Of course you do. And that is why at a time when you should be embarrassed, you are probably emboldened.
"Please. Give up. It’s time for local loyalists to parachute down from Planet Patriot and get in touch with reality. Stop twisting yourselves into knots to justify the petty crimes and coverups of the Patriots and their quarterback.
"According to the NFL, the Patriots cheated. They tampered with footballs after the balls were approved by game officials. The NFL terms it an ongoing “scheme.’’ It’s not a huge transgression, but the tampering was done to gain a competitive advantage. It appears to have been systematic. Tom Brady knew about it, then he destroyed evidence."

My emphasis in Bold.

Thanks Goodness, also, that the name of the judge was Richard Berman and not Dan Shaughnessy. The CHB would have probably apologized to Goodell for making him go through the trouble of appearing in court to discuss the "petty crimes and coverups of the Patriots and their quarterback."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/07/28/shaughnessy/T32IKjU6IVYjEWml2YfrMI/story.html

Is Shaughnessy pining for a job at ESPN? o_O

Anyone here see Black Mass yet? I suspect that during the Globes's heyday decades ago, the paper ran an operation similar to Whitey Bolger's Winter Hill gang. A bunch of irritable/opinionated/ inflexible Irishman intent on consolidating power and influence ...unafraid to exert pressure on friends and enemies alike no matter the cost. The Globe was the only real media game in town and local sports ownership sheepishly groveled for attention and the price was access. Will McDonough practically co-ran the Patriots....a team that was a distant 4th in the Boston market.
Anyway........the old Irish guard of "opinion makers" are now in their twilight years and only Shank and Borges are still bullying their way into our consciousness....still clinging for one last moment of relevance.

PS......25 years ago, my parents had a neighbor who supposedly had minor connections with the Winter Hill Gang during his youth. Back then, all the Irish thugs in Mass. were interconnected even when not inside associates. The guy was a hoot. A big scary hoot. I occasionally played cards with him and he always lost.....and he would always be saying..."take my money and I''ll whack you." He would carry large paper bags around the house filled with big big cash he called his gambling money.
One story I remember he told: After Godfather 2 was released in the mid 70's, he gets a phone call from some son of a big shot in Boston's "underworld." He's told to meet this guy at Copley Plaza hotel in the lobby. He goes into the lobby and the son says come with me. They walk into another lobby-like room with a giant, expensive oriental rug on the floor. The son says....."I like this rug....help me roll it up." And they do....and proceed to walk out the front door of the hotel with the rug on their shoulders...no questions asked......Just like Godfather 2. He said to me..."I did what I was told."

Last edited:
only Shank and Borges are still bullying their way into our consciousness....

That suggests an even better answer to why reply to this thread: we're sick of the various Globe writers thinking that they have some sort of right to be a part of our consciousness, and we're sick of anyone saying we have to give them another chance.

That suggests an even better answer to why reply to this thread: we're sick of the various Globe writers thinking that they have some sort of right to be a part of our consciousness, and we're sick of anyone saying we have to give them another chance.
My problem with these dinosaurs is their predictability. You know exactly when and what will be written. Like clockwork. Same goes for their "other media" appearances. I can hear the behind the scenes discussions among Comcast producers......."Let's get two hater/curmudgeons on tonight's show so Felger doesn't appear so isolated from reality....wheel in Shank and Wrong."

Anyone here see Black Mass yet? I suspect that during the Globes's heyday decades ago, the paper ran an operation similar to Whitey Bolger's Winter Hill gang. A bunch of irritable/opinionated/ inflexible Irishman intent on consolidating power and influence ...unafraid to exert pressure on friends and enemies alike no matter the cost. The Globe was the only real media game in town and local sports ownership sheepishly groveled for attention and the price was access. Will McDonough practically co-ran the Patriots....a team that was a distant 4th in the Boston market.

Heh. Hence why McDonough hated Belichick with the hatred of a thousand burning suns.

Will McDonough practically co-ran the Patriots....a team that was a distant 4th in the Boston market.

What? McDonough and Billy Sullivan hated each others guts, in fact McDonough was buddies with Brockton's own Al Davis.

Sorry, I can't read it without subscribing.
Open the browser in incognito mode. Google how to do it - it's different depending on browser and platform. For Chrome on a Mac, press the menu button on the far right and you'll see the option to open a new incognito window.

Open the browser in incognito mode. Google how to do it - it's different depending on browser and platform. For Chrome on a Mac, press the menu button on the far right and you'll see the option to open a new incognito window.
Thanks, that worked. Yeah, it's pretty standard Shaughnessy. The march of the tomato cans, if they win, he's got it covered, if they lose, he's smarter than everyone else.

My emphasis in Bold.

This is why sports journalism is the worst. No accountability when you are wrong, just pretend it never happens. Finger wag when things go your way then when the decision is reversed pretend you were anti nfl all along.

The curse of Deflategate, nice angle to a story.

That said, it’s impossible for Football America to ignore the bad luck epidemic that plagues all those who’ve wronged the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST