PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boomer Esiason comments on Brandon Lloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boomer is spot on. I'm sure we still have the grin on our face after Lloyd's touchdown, but he is currently not helping the offense much:

Targets-Yards-Average

Lloyd- 40-287- 7.18
Welker- 37-380- 10.27
Gronkowski- 29-260- 8.97

Haven't looked up Branch's stats from last year, but I'll be they are better. 7.18 yards per target is not good. Too many incompletions; I hope they clean it up.

They aren't. Branch had 700 yards. Lloyd is producing at a rate that is 60% higher.

they have been so close to hooking up for numerous big plays....it's coming soon

Still, Lloyd is a way better option at the X than Branch has been the past 2 seasons. Lloyd will get up to speed with #12. And he'll be making lots of long pass plays in no time.

That and the fact that Lloyd cannot get open. He is slow and not sudden; decent CBs can blanket him one-on-one. He makes up for it with incredible hands but he is not an elite WR. He not going to make anyone forget Randy Moss.

I would say that right now the Patriots biggest weakness on offense is the lack of a top WR. They don't have anyone that demands double coverage or take the top of a defense.

its more about playing the sideline than "taking the top off the defense" IMO...considering Welker, Gronk, hernandez all operate mainly in the middle of the field it helps having someone who can draw defenses to the sideline. it allows brady to use the whole field

Lloyd reminds me of Terry Glenn. They both had similar acrobatic styles.

That and the fact that Lloyd cannot get open. He is slow and not sudden; decent CBs can blanket him one-on-one. He makes up for it with incredible hands but he is not an elite WR. He not going to make anyone forget Randy Moss.

I would say that right now the Patriots biggest weakness on offense is the lack of a top WR. They don't have anyone that demands double coverage or take the top of a defense.

A 4 time 100 catch receiver and 2 of the top 4 tight ends in the league and biggest concern is we don't have an elite wr that goes deep? We have 3 of the weaknesses that other teams could only dream to have.

"Excuse me Detroit, Arizona and Cincinnati, um, Patriots aren't stacked enough on their offense for this fan over here in the New England area. Says they need an elite wr like CJ or AJ. Yeah, think you could spare 1? Yeah I know CJ and Fitzgerald just signed 100 million deals and AJ will soon follow but we really need one because its our biggest weakness you see. And yes you should just give one to us. You don't mind paying for him too cuz there is no way we are going to be able to afford him under the current cap restrictions?

Welker frequently draws bracket or double coverage, so I don't know what Patriots team you're talking about. Is it a soccer team or something?

Lloyd's an unusual receiver for the Patriots offense. He's not a guy who gets separation, so Brady would usually not target him. However, he's a guy who wins the battle for the ball, so Brady is essentially having to run two different types of reads on passing plays.

I think that we see it looking forced when it's Brady to Lloyd because it is being forced. Brady's locking in for much longer periods of time on those plays, while he's scanning the field more normally on plays where Lloyd's not the primary.

I grant that this is just 'informed' speculation, but it seems to fit both what I'm seeing and what Brady said earlier in the year.

It goes without saying that he's a hybrid #1 who can do many things well, but perhaps not one thing (like getting deep separation) great.

But he probably has better route running skills than many #1 WRs out there and for Brady and this offense, that's vital, but can be complicated.

That timing and getting the route running down is essential and I don't think Boomer or anyone else expect to see these two completely in sync so quickly. So in that sense, it may indeed be "forced" or a work in progress at this point.

Yet "forcing" 25 catches thus far helps Brady immensely as Defenses do appear to be respecting Lloyd - and if they weren't that diving TD catch will get their attention.

Technically that was either a less than accurate pass or a less than accurate route, because neither Brady nor Lloyd want to see him having to extend like that normally - but man, it sure was a thing of beauty to watch as a great catch!

Last edited:
they have been so close to hooking up for numerous big plays....it's coming soon

Yup - I can think of at least a half dozen "could have/should have" been plays where we'd either be talking a 25 yard pickup or a TD.

Either Brady overthrew or Lloyd under-ran, but I've seen Lloyd open quite often with missed opportunities - and as Deus said it doesn't seem to be a situation where he's beating someone with breakaway speed - it's more quickness and sharp routes where he loses defenders.

But I think its clear what we've seen thus far is an unpolished gem

I think too many people are trying too hard to put Lloyd into some kind of an overly defined role on this team. Like DI stated, LLoyd is is NOT a standard prototype #1 receiver or even #2. People who expect him to be that are going to be disappointed He isn't fast or sudden like Victor Cruz, or big and strong Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Flloyd has a rather unique set of skills that make him an asset for the Pats offense.

I think we forget that Floyd was brought in not be a Ocho replacement, but as a Branch upgrade. It had become clear to the Pats thatby the end of last season, Deion no could create enough separation from tough man coverage to be an effective option on the outside any longer. Most of his production came against zone coverage and the Pats were not seeing that much any more.

Lloyd's hands and body control allow him to be a more effective WR threat who doesn't have to have that wide separation in order to make a catch. He is strong enough and has the body control to make the catch even when nominally covered.

So the Pats don't need Lloyd to be a 10 TD 1100 yd receiver. On the Pats he's just one of FOUR receivers proven to be capable of being that. Against the Ravens he had to be the guy, but the next week it could be Hernandez, Welker, or Gronk. There is no need for Lloydd to be putting up big numbers every week. There is no need for ANY of them to have that kind of burden on a game to game basis ....and even less so if the running game continues to be a factor.

I think we need to see how this offense evolves as Josh sees how his weapons can be used and what options they can go to as we see how defenses are going to attack them. Putting 52 on the Bills in September is not going to be nearly as important as seeing how they can attack a good defense in December

But think about this, because I can't get it out of my head. The Pats put up 52 against the Bills on their turf, despite having Gronk flat out drop 2 TD passes and give up 2 fumbles. How many points would they have put up on a "good" day.

In my eyes this guy has been very impressive and has done things I have not seen in a long while (ever?) from a Patriot WR

Last edited:
Here is something to ponder. Brady is not the type of Qb that Lloyd is accustomed to playing with. We'fe all seen some of Lloyd's crazy catches on sportscenter, he's got that uncanny ability to come down with the ball. Some of those catches are throws made by Qb's like kyle Orton, Sam bradford, shaun hill, Jason cambell, Tebow and Grossman. Not exactly the greatest list of Qb's and not exactly the ones surrounded by a good supporting cast and ones that just may be crazy enough to throw such low percentage throws and hope he can comes down with it due to playing from behind or just wanting to get rid of it before they are clobbered.

Brady is too smart too make those kind of throws when he has higher percentage read to his te,rb or other wr. However Lloyd's ability combined with his smarts still make him a very viable 2nd wr and worthy to share the field. I just think people should temper the expectations of the acrobatics because the play calling and Brady aren't going to put him in that situation too many times. Although ofcourse we will see it from time time.

I agree to an extent, but Brady is off on deep sideline throws often enough for Lloyd's acrobatics and hands to be a significant asset. IMO, that's probably the area of Brady's game that's declined most significantly since 2007 (which is partly a testament to how little decline there's really been).

Last edited:
Brandon Lloyd >>>>>>> Chad Ochostinko

That's all that was needed for the New England Patriots at the wide receiver position for the 2012 NFL Season.

Not sure who's fault it was, but Brady and Lloyd did not have the same timing like they had in Baltimore. Gilmore had good coverage, but had Brady and Lloyd had better timing, the back-shoulder catch would have been there.

Gilmore had great coverage. Sometimes he covered his eyes, hooked his arms, had his throat etc.

His coverage was good, but if he had been called for pass interference once or twice, it would have been a different story.

Looked like that same route from last week where Lloyd was money, it seemed like they Q'd in on it and shut it down. When him and TB start to get more comfortable on different routes and patterns he'll be a bit tougher to shut down.

just my 2 cents.

Either way, he's a step up from Branch and light years ahead of Ocho. Also, almost half as much as Santonio and 2K cheaper than Chad.:singing:

Whats frustrating to watch with Lloyd is every target attempt seems so low percentage. The moment the ball is thrown to him, he's either catching it falling out of bounds or trying to wow us all with some highlight back shoulder fade. That's the extent of his game it seems. There is rarely a routine catch with him---I never realized his ability(or lack there of) to get separation was going to be this bad-for some weird reason, I always had the thought once he signed with us that he had at least middle tier athleticism for an NFL wideout---shows you how many Broncos games I've seen the last few years lol

He rarely catches anything in stride to accumulate significant YAC. That's whats so frustrating with this offense, and it exacerbates matters with Hernandez out.

Last edited:
Was is Lloyd and Brady not on the same page or great coverage by Gilmore?

It was great coverage by Gilmore. That kid looks like the real deal unfortunately.

He is wrong, a guy not on the same page will not be smiling in the air after catching this. This guy is ridiculous.
faehz.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case