PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount has Highest YPC in Pats Franchise History (min 400 carries)

Status
Not open for further replies.
split of the 400 carries, between those in winning games and those in lost games

Some of the winning games will have a couple of four-minute series in them which will likely bring down the YPC - the objective in those carries is low risk and eat time rather than gain yards. And the losing games will tend to have fewer carries - no idea how that impacts YPC one way or the other.

Injuries to the OL last year had a lot to do with Blount's decline in YPC.

It would be interesting to see a histogram of his runs. YPC doesn't tell the whole tale.

As an example, a fictional player who always get 4.5yd (no more no less) every time he ran and another fictional player than had a 22.5% chance of getting 20yd and a 77.5% chance of getting zero both have a 4.5yd average. But the player who gets 4.5yd each time is way more valuable.

Good article that reveals the following surprising statistic:

... nobody in Patriots history has ever averaged more yards per carry than LeGarrette Blount.

He’s carried the ball an even 400 times, and he’s averaged 4.57 yards per carry. Corey Dillon averaged 4.2. So did Kevin Faulk and Shane Vereen. Curtis Martin averaged 4.0. Sam Cunningham and Antowain Smith averaged 3.9.
. . .

Wow, I mean WOW! That came out of nowhere (for me- haven't been watching stats )

I appreciate the article sticking up for Blount. That said, I think some of the YPC stats are simply cases of truncating the data. That is to say, most of our best backs played their entire careers (or most of it) with the Patriots. They retired/were cut because they weren't good anymore. Those carries factor into overall YPC. Think Corey Dillon in 2006.

Blount's not at that point yet, his YPC is being determined while he is still good and does not include any of his decline. There are only a few Patriot lead running backs who left while still in their prime; Curtis Martin, Robert Edwards (ugh), Law Firm, Stevan Ridley (in theory; his major injury happened at the end and didn't count in his YPC stats with us). Everyone else generally has one year+ of being cooked factored into their stats. It does say something that Blount's YPC is better than Martin's. Curious to see where his stats land once he hits the wall.

Ok, if that's your theory show me Cumars' and dillon's best three years of stats (with the pats?) to compare more appropriately

I appreciate the article sticking up for Blount. That said, I think some of the YPC stats are simply cases of truncating the data. That is to say, most of our best backs played their entire careers (or most of it) with the Patriots. They retired/were cut because they weren't good anymore. Those carries factor into overall YPC. Think Corey Dillon in 2006.

Blount's not at that point yet, his YPC is being determined while he is still good and does not include any of his decline. There are only a few Patriot lead running backs who left while still in their prime; Curtis Martin, Robert Edwards (ugh), Law Firm, Stevan Ridley (in theory; his major injury happened at the end and didn't count in his YPC stats with us). Everyone else generally has one year+ of being cooked factored into their stats. It does say something that Blount's YPC is better than Martin's. Curious to see where his stats land once he hits the wall.

You can always point out data comparison issues. The OL that Dillon was running behind as a Patriots was better than any OL Blount's run behind while here, for example.

Sooner or later, you have to just acknowledge a fudge factor and then run with what you've got.

I always liked Blount. We get good production out of him for the money we spent. He is not an elite RB but he is a really good one. To be honest we haven't had a great run blocking OL while he has been here. There are times when he runs too upright and dances behind the OL for no gain or a loss but I believe that's because the OL has not given him anyplace to run. Even if there is no hole, if he lowers his pads he can manage to pick-up 2 or 3 yards. Give him a hole to run through and his yards skyrocket. He is very quick and hard to bring down once he gets up a head of steam. His TD run where he bulldozed 6 defenders back into the EZ is a good example of the power Blount has. With Blount you are going to see alot of those 3 yard runs with a few decent long runs mixed in. Against a team that has poor run defense he can be dominant. To recap when he lowers his pads he can be a very effective RB but when he runs upright and dances behind the OL he gets alot of criticism.

PS: He averaged 4.3 yards last year behind that beat-up OL.

That's an interesting factoid, demonstrates that he's better than he gets credit for. But I doubt there's anyone outside of Blount's immediate family who would take him--either career-long or in his prime--over Curtis Martin. In general, comparing YPC as an absolute measure of quality across eras is tricky, because it will lead you to weird conclusions like, just to pick one example, Alfred Morris > Walter Payton.

Ok, if that's your theory show me Cumars' and dillon's best three years of stats (with the pats?) to compare more appropriately

I agree that the point you're responding to isn't the real issue, and that the stats don't bear it out. Blount having a better career YPC has more to do with their respective eras and offenses than Martin's last few years weighing him down. Martin didn't really have a pronounced YPC downswing at the end of his career - he was averaging 4.6 as late as his second-to-last season. Part of his claim to fame is that he was able to somehow approach 15,000 career touches without any significant decline until his final season.

Having said that, let's be clear here: Curtis Martin was a much better running back than LeGarrette Blount. That's not a knock on Blount, but Martin was just on another level, in large part but not entirely because of his versatility and durability. In 3 years with the Pats--before his prime, no less--he had just under 4,700 yards from scrimmage. It was a different game back then: offenses ran to establish the pass, which meant more rushes and a lower YPC. If Martin played today, he'd average 4.5 YPC no problem.

Last edited:
not saying it's his fault, but what is "his fault" is his complete inability to make a guy miss when they get penetration. Blount is an adequate back, but we've seen as in last year's Denver playoff game, he's not a guy who can make a negative play into a positive....
Totally agree. He couldn't get any yards from the IR. (sarcasm - he was injured and out for the year)

That's an interesting factoid, demonstrates that he's better than he gets credit for. But I doubt there's anyone outside of Blount's immediate family who would take him--either career-long or in his prime--over Curtis Martin. In general, comparing YPC as an absolute measure of quality across eras is tricky, because it will lead you to weird conclusions like, just to pick one example, Alfred Morris > Walter Payton.

I agree that the point you're responding to isn't the real issue, and that the stats don't bear it out. Blount having a better career YPC has more to do with their respective eras and offenses than Martin's last few years weighing him down. Martin didn't really have a pronounced YPC downswing at the end of his career - he was averaging 4.6 as late as his second-to-last season. Part of his claim to fame is that he was able to somehow approach 15,000 career touches without any significant decline until his final season.

Having said that, let's be clear here: Curtis Martin was a much better running back than LeGarrette Blount. That's not a knock on Blount, but Martin was just on another level, in large part but not entirely because of his versatility and durability. In 3 years with the Pats--before his prime, no less--he had just under 4,700 yards from scrimmage. It was a different game back then: offenses ran to establish the pass, which meant more rushes and a lower YPC. If Martin played today, he'd average 4.5 YPC no problem.

Are people seriously arguing with you on that?

Wow, I mean WOW! That came out of nowhere (for me- haven't been watching stats )

Curtis Martin 95-97:
958 Carries 3799 Yards 32TD 4.0 YPC
117 Catches 890 Yards 5 TD 7.6 YPR

Corey Dillon 04-06:
753 Carries 3180 Yards 37 TD 4.2 YPC
52 Catches 431 Yards 2 TD 8.3 YPR

LaGarrette Blount 13-16:
400 Carries 1826 Yards 17 TD 4.6 YPC
12 Catches 99 Yards 1 TD 8.3 YPR

Curtis Martin 95-97:
958 Carries 3799 Yards 32TD 4.0 YPC
117 Catches 890 Yards 5 TD 7.6 YPR

Corey Dillon 04-06:
753 Carries 3180 Yards 37 TD 4.2 YPC
52 Catches 431 Yards 2 TD 8.3 YPR

LaGarrette Blount 13-16:
400 Carries 1826 Yards 17 TD 4.6 YPC
12 Catches 99 Yards 1 TD 8.3 YPR

Well those numbers validate my memory. Take cumar for a career back, clock-killer for a 3-year period, LGB in a RBBC group. CD my favorite.

Well those numbers validate my memory. Take cumar for a career back, clock-killer for a 3-year period, LGB in a RBBC group. CD my favorite.

Who is Cumar?

Is he the guy that went with Harold to White Castle?

Vereen averaged 4 YPC? WTF.

He had a lot of 10+ yard shotgun draws against dime coverage, I they're what got his average up to 4.

Are people seriously arguing with you on that?

Not explicitly, at least yet, but the discussion seemed to be trending in that direction so I wanted to cut it off before it had a chance to really start. Starting by establishing that YPC across eras and offenses isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

I think it would be interesting to compare various Patriots RBs' adjusted YPC, by comparing their YPC each season (weighted according to total carries) against the leaguewide average for YPC that year. That would be the best way to account for era, although it still leaves role and workload unaccounted for.

Not explicitly, at least yet, but the discussion seemed to be trending in that direction so I wanted to cut it off before it had a chance to really start, more or less. Starting by establishing that YPC across eras and offenses isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

I think it would be interesting to compare various Patriots RBs' adjusted YPC, by comparing their YPC each season (weighted according to total carries) against the leaguewide average for YPC that year. That would be the best way to account for era, although it still leaves role and workload unaccounted for.

It would be an interesting exercise but LG is not even close to being the same RB as C-Mart. I cannot believe people are going there.

Guess we traveled in different circles back then (preinternet days). I never heard of c-mart.

Pre-Internet....wow. How I got around without Google Maps back then is beyond me.

I guess so! Strange that I never heard that before. I'm usually pretty good with that stuff.

The Jets crowd call him than and since I socialize with a couple of somewhat sane Jets fans they call him that. I don't think anyone around here called him that when Curtis was here with us

Blount is a poormans John Stephens. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand