PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount has Highest YPC in Pats Franchise History (min 400 carries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Good article that reveals the following surprising statistic:

... nobody in Patriots history has ever averaged more yards per carry than LeGarrette Blount.

He’s carried the ball an even 400 times, and he’s averaged 4.57 yards per carry. Corey Dillon averaged 4.2. So did Kevin Faulk and Shane Vereen. Curtis Martin averaged 4.0. Sam Cunningham and Antowain Smith averaged 3.9.
Read full piece here:

Why All The Hate For LeGarrette Blount?

I'm also surprised that there hasn't been more appreciation here for his TD run where he basically carried half-a-dozen opposing players over the goal line.

The article mentioned that it seems people hate Blount in NE but I think it's just a case of the grass always being greener. In a league where there are fewer and fewer elite backs, I think Blount places nicely in the middle tier group. If any of those backs in that grouping were here I think people would say the same things. Blount has done his job here in NE and I think the rotation of him/lewis/white is a solid grouping.

That TD run was awesome. Lowered his shoulder on the Honey Badger then carried 6 guys into the EZ. Incredible showing of power and determination

That's surprising considering how many times he's stopped behind the line
If a RB is getting stopped behind the line then more than likely it's not his fault. AP wouldn't get positive yardage with some of our OL blocking.

When he's given a decent hole he's more than capable of getting to the second level and churning out some yardage. The cutback he made on the 3rd and 11 run was one of the key plays of the game on Sunday.

I've been beating this drum for the last two years. A few others have as well but for the most part he's very under appreciated around here. Especially considering his salary. The only thing I'd like to see more of from him is the potential to get him some dump off's. He's great in space for his size.

I admit to being an Emily Blunt fan but comparing with predecessors Ridly & Maroney production and big plays are much improved. OK, I concede they were not better than avg NFL RBs.

Ignore the noise. Blount is a stud Back when used properly.

What's more amazing to me, is Belichick's ability to get 4.57 YPC out of a guy for three seasons at basically the veteran minimum.

Last edited:
something something, hes a bum, something something, inconsistent, something something lets sign some street free agent that has never been on the team.

What i saw on sunday was a dude getting hit a lot in the backfield. thats not an RB issue, thats an Oline issue.

you know how average works right, well those games against the Colts certainly sky rocket his avg :D

I'm glad people are FINALLY coming around to appreciate the production we've gotten from LGB over the last 3 years. And think about this, he got those numbers despite never really having a healthy. experienced OL in front of him.

And if case I forget, F#ck Felger.

The frustrating thing with Blount is when he dances around trying to look for a hole, because that very rarely amounts to anything since Blount's acceleration is his problem. He is very dependent on the offensive line creating some form of hole at the line of scrimmage. But once he gets past the LOS he is a pretty good RB.

The frustrating thing with Blount is when he dances around trying to look for a hole, because that very rarely amounts to anything since Blount's acceleration is his problem. He is very dependent on the offensive line creating some form of hole at the line of scrimmage. But once he gets past the LOS he is a pretty good RB.

That was my 1st season criticism of him.
However, I have watched him carefully and he has not done this nearly as much since. If you count dancing as occurring when the OL completely collapses around him in the backfield, he still dances.

are there RBs out there who are good at creating their own holes? i'm asking seriously, i don't follow RBs on other teams regularly.

I just can't believe Baddell hasn't taken multiple first round picks for the BB/Blount scheme in Pittsburgh. It's so obvious that BB told Blount to act up and get cut so the Pats could scoop him up.

I swear to God on everything holy I have a Steelers friend (great guy who's typically very reasonable btw) who truly believes that. He was 100% adamant about it. I go back and forth between thinking this kind of paranoia is hilarious or sad.

1. Barry Sanders was "up to speed" pretty much even when standing still
  2. Quickbacks are "up to speed" in 1 step
  3. Normal backs are "up to speed" in about 1.5 steps
  4. Big backs who use momentum (i.e. Blount) generally take 2 full steps to get "up to speed"
  5. A guy like Jerome Bettis, who was a big guy with normal-to-quick back "up to speed" requirements, are not quite unicorns, but they are endangered species level rarities

Steve Grogan: 445 carries, 2176 Yards, 4.9 Avg

OP didn't mention only RB, article did.

Ill queue up a few excuses for Felger now:
  1. "It's the weakest 4.57 YPC I've ever seen. Ever"
  2. "Blount just doesn't pass the eye test for me"
  3. "His yards all come against weak teams"
  4. Of course he has 4.57 YPC. Belichick only uses him at the end of the game when he's running up the score"

Last edited:
are there RBs out there who are good at creating their own holes? i'm asking seriously, i don't follow RBs on other teams regularly.
Of course RBs can't create their own holes. Maybe it was badly phrased by me. The issue with Blount is his slow acceleration, which means that the offensive line has to hold a hole a bit longer for Blount to find it and get through. He just doesn't have the same explosion as a David Johnson for example whose ability to accelerate out of those jump cuts was really impressive. But then again, if Blount had a better acceleration he probably would get a bigger contract and thus not be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back