Big Scores & The Patriot Running Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
There is no way Belichick will approach the playoffs with a sputtering running game. I fully expect Belichick to work the crap out of the running game in one of these final games. Who can forget Antoine Smiths great games when the weather conditions were deplorable ... Belichick is no fool.
He's been there and done that ... with homefield advantage in the playoffs there is no weather gurantee as we all know. Is Maroney our sure handed poor weather runner, I don't think we can count on that at this time.

So I think as early as this evening ... the Randy Moss TD parade may continue ... but only after the ball has gone up the field between the hash marks. Anyone giving the points in these final games may be in for a rude awakening.

Also ... who is our main running fullback right now?

I wouldn't be so sure it's Heath Evans any more. Sure, it's been in garbage time but Eckel's motor has been running at some very high rpm's. I am expecting Eckel to get more carries in these final games, I think he is better than Evans running between the tackles.

Last edited:
There is no way Belichick will approach the playoffs with a sputtering running game. I fully expect Belichick to work the crap out of the running game in one of these final games. Who can forget Antoine Smiths great games when the weather conditions were deplorable ... Belichick is no fool.
He's been there and done that ... with homefield advantage in the playoffs there is no weather gurantee as we all know. Is Maroney our sure handed poor weather runner, I don't think we can count on that at this time.

So I think as early as this evening ... the Randy Moss TD parade may continue ... but only after the ball has gone up the field between the hash marks. Anyone giving the points in these final games may be in for a rude awakening.

Also ... who is our main running fullback right now?

I wouldn't be so sure it's Heath Evans any more. Sure, it's been in garbage time but Eckel's motor has been running at some very high rpm's. I am expecting Eckel to get more carries in these final games, I think he is better than Evans running between the tackles.

Normally I'd agree with you, but there's nothing normal about this season.

It seems like the only thing the Pats really need a ground game for is to eat up the clock once they've got a 30 plus point lead. At that point Eckel and Evans are fine.

During the game we see plenty of short and screen passes going to WRs, TEs & RBs that are as low risk as running the ball - sometimes with some pretty signficant yards after the catch, which winds up being a defacto running game that keeps defenses "honest" and frees up some deep passes for Moss and Stallworth (both of whom have caught their share of short passes as well).

While I'd prefer to have some more depth at RB, judging by the recent team results we should be just fine with the roster as it currently stands.

i also believe BB will focus slightly more on the running game....

i dont see it as it is sputtering however...its a very strong running game...

Through 10 games, the Pats have 1318 rushing yards and a 4.2 YPC. This coming from an air it out team that is typically up by 20-30 points by halftime. Please stop describing this running game as sputtering. It is not.

I think we need to stop thinking in terms of two worlds -- handoff=run and throwing=pass. The Pats use a lot of short passes that are only slightly more risky than a pitch for an old-fashioned sweep and rely on YAC. The WR "screens" are almost like long pitches.

Evans and Eckel can serve the A Smith role -- head down and get that 3 yards.

You can't polish a turd. There will be no running game this season(other than in the 2nd half when we have big leads) because we don't have the backs to pull it off. If we give the ball to Glass too much, than he will get hurt and then there goes our running game altogether. I mean, honestly, if and when Glass gets injured again and is out, do we honestly expect defenses to take Heath Evans and Eckel seriously? No. Maroney is more useful as a decoy more than anything else. Teams see Maroney and they feel the kid at least looks the part and "could" gash them for a long gain(even though he never does). Without Maroney, we will not only have no running game, but we won't even have anyone back there that defenses will even take serious. This is precisely one of the reasons why I feel we need to draft another RB in next year's draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore