PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Between Lewis and maybe Forte - does this team have the personnel for a top 5 running game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

you don't pay for old running backs. just sign some udfa's...one will be decent.

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a real weapon at the running game like Denver has seemed to consistently have over the last few years. They are doing something right in that department.

Huh?

Broncos run rankings since Peyton started:

2015: 17th in attempts, 17th in yards, 13th in YPC.
2014: 12th in attempts, 15th in yards, 20th in YPC.
2013: 11th in attempts, 15th in yards, 20th in YPC.
2012: 9th in attempts, 16th in yards, 25th in YPC.

They got more efficient this year, but ran the ball fewer times overall for fewer yards.

The big change in the running game over the past few years was getting rid of former first-round pick Knowshon Moreno and replacing him with UDFA C.J. Anderson, who led the team in rushing in 2014 and YPC in 2015 while finishing second to Hillman, who needed a few years to emerge as well.

And why the arbitrary top 5 run game? What does that matter? 2 of the top 5 running teams in terms of yards per game didn't even make the playoffs (#1 Bills, #5 Bucs). The 3 teams between ended up playing each other in the playoffs, and the run game wasn't that big:

#3 Seahawks defeat #4 Vikings: The Seahawks had 97 yards which looks impressive, except 21 came from Wilson, and overall they averaged less than 3.5 YPC. The Vikings gained only 58 yards.

#2 Panthers defeat #3 Seahawks: The Panthers had 144 yards rushing, again looks impressive, but it was a grind as they averaged only 3.5 YPC. The Seahawks had 78 yards on 12 rushes but due to falling behind by a ton, were forced to abandon the run.

Even when the run game was good, it didn't matter.

#17 Broncos defeat #2 Panthers: The Panthers had a good day on the ground, gaining 118 yards and 4.4 YPC but they would lose to the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

It wasn't even a weird year. In 2014, the top 2 rushing teams made the playoffs, while #3, #4, and #5 didn't. The #2 Cowboys rushed for 73 yards in a playoff win, and 144 yards in a playoff loss. The Seahawks and the #1 run game had a very good game against us in the Super Bowl, 162 yards and 5.6 YPC compared to our 57 yards rushing.

In 2013, 3 of the top 5 made the playoffs, and the Seahawks won the championship. Maybe you could point to that year for the importance of a top-5 run game. Although it's worth noting the 49ers outrushed the Seahawks 161 yards to 115 and still lost.

In 2012, 4 of the top 5 made the playoffs (the 5th went 2-14 and drafted 1st overall). But even then, a top 5 rushing team (49ers) lost in the Super Bowl to the #11 Ravens. And they outrushed Baltimore 182 yards (6.3 YPC!) vs. 93 yards (2.7 YPC).

So why are we setting an arbitrary cutoff line of top 5 rushing game needed when clearly it isn't?

It would be good to be able to run the ball. I would prefer having the #1 run, #1 pass, #1 run D, #1 pass D, #1 ST, absolutely. But is it essential to get where we want to go? No.

Why Forte?
Because he can catch the ball. With a terrible run blocking O line and a terrible pass blocking O line, having a double threat RB may force defenses into a neutral mode. With the Blounts and the Jacksons and the Sammy Morris types in the backfield………the world knows the play….and as Emmit Smith so eloquently stated…..they get "all blowed up."
Give the passing QB another tool….a tool that can be deployed on 1st and 2nd down. Retreads from the RB junk yard helped NE secure "worst running team" status".
Fix this BB

Cant telegrapth the play Forte back there teams wouldnt know for certain whether is run or pass.
This would limit the run blitz and allow for more hurry up due to Forte and Lewis being able to execute a fly route a screen a drag a comeback, as well as run the rock.
Invaluable for a a offense to have that kind of flexibility.
You still need a bruiser to finish games and that could be Blount coming back?
Ivory being signed?
Or our Stanford back healed?
Or a rook or free agent not yet on this roster.
Matt Forte is the biggest weapon aside from the second coming of Moss is the biggest weapon the Patriots can add to this offense.
Green Bay be damned.

I like Forte but I think James Starks is the way to go. He is sneaky good and most likely within or price range.

The price would have to be awfully cheap for me to want Forte. If the Pats are looking to spend real money, I'd rather they took a shot at Lamar Miller.

Haven't heard a peep about teams interested in Forte. I've seen reports of teams interested in Martin and Miller, Figured given that the Bears told him weeks ago they weren't re-signing him and he said his goodbyes we'd get the usual "teams showing interest" report.

Makes me think either his agent isn't leaking it or there is a mutual interest between him and particular team that doesn't like their business being blurted out to the media

Yes.

in YAC

The price would have to be awfully cheap for me to want Forte. If the Pats are looking to spend real money, I'd rather they took a shot at Lamar Miller.

I'm with you. I'd much rather see Lamar Miller brought here as well, but his pricetag is likely going to exceed 6m dollars per year. Hell, Chris Ivory is likely to see something in that range, and Doug Martin is a lock to see even more.

People laughed when I said that the RB market bounced back, but it has. I'd love to see Belichick pay 5-6m dollars a year to a "real" RB, but I just don't see it happening. As a matter of fact, I can't even see him going after the guy you don't even want (Forte) due to the price.

green bay is interested in Forte that could just mean they called his agent to see his asking price. my guess is if the pats are not looking to gave 5 million per year he wont be a patriot

It's interesting to see so many mentions of Forte but none about Doug Martin, who will also be a FA. 4 years younger, 2nd in yards last year and played in all 16 games.

Any reason not to consider him? Just curious.

Edit: Why no consideration to bring back Stephen Jackson? He's already got a taste of the system, and the staff must've liked what they saw to bring him late last year.

Doug Martin is the premier RB in this year's market. He's going to cash in nicely, whether that's with Tampa Bay or elsewhere. We should've bought low when we had the chance and the trade rumors were circulating. At this point, there's no way he's accepting anything less than 6-7m dollars a year.

Stephen Jackson had to take a couple of days to see if his body could even withstand the training, before he could commit to a decision when Belichick came calling. It's fairly obvious that his days of playing in the NFL are behind him.

Doug Martin is the premier RB in this year's market. He's going to cash in nicely, whether that's with Tampa Bay or elsewhere. We should've bought low when we had the chance and the trade rumors were circulating. At this point, there's no way he's accepting anything less than 6-7m dollars a year.

Stephen Jackson had to take a couple of days to see if his body could even withstand the training, before he could commit to a decision when Belichick came calling. It's fairly obvious that his days of playing in the NFL are behind him.

Mike Giardi is reporting that the Pats are interested in Bilal Powell.. if they pulled that off their RB's would be versatile..

You are correct it is being reported that Doug Martin is close on a deal with Tampa Bay at around 6.85 million a year..

Report: Buccaneers closing in on deal with Doug Martin

BTW Ivory is reported to have signed with Jacksonville for 6+ million per year..

Last edited:
Foster is still available

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Foster is still available

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Hard to gauge the market for him since he's far from being able to do anything yet. I think this is why the article came out about him needing to be patient. They expect him to be near full strength by training camp.

Foster = 1-year, non-guaranteed, vet-minimum contract, and not one penny more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back