PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best QBs in Patriot History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought Harold came from the Rams? Never knew he was a Seahawk...
Several teams, last year with hawks in '83.

At the time of his retirement, only Don Maynard had more career receiving yards than Jackson. He currently ranks 26th in league history in career receiving yardage. For the decade of the 1970s, Jackson ranked first in receptions (432), yards (7,724) and receiving touchdowns (61). Despite this, Jackson was not one of the wide receivers selected to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1970s and he has yet to be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Several teams, last year with hawks in '83.

At the time of his retirement, only Don Maynard had more career receiving yards than Jackson. He currently ranks 26th in league history in career receiving yardage. For the decade of the 1970s, Jackson ranked first in receptions (432), yards (7,724) and receiving touchdowns (61). Despite this, Jackson was not one of the wide receivers selected to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1970s and he has yet to be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Yep. When I put him in the Pats list, it was based on his time where which was in his 30s but still pretty damn good- especially for a run-first offense

If Jackson spent his whole career in a NEP uniform he'd be in the top 5. Great career and an excellent receiver.

1. Moss
2. Stanley Steamer
3. Wes Welker
4. Troy Brown
5. JE11
6. Colclough
7. Fryar
8.Glenn
9. Gino
10. Harold Jackson

I dunno, in my book anyone who lists WW ahead of JE and either of those two in front of the original TB (downtown Troy Brown), is just as wrong as the guys who had never heard of Stanley steamer.

I dunno, in my book anyone who lists WW ahead of JE and either of those two in front of the original TB (downtown Troy Brown), is just as wrong as the guys who had never heard of Stanley steamer.

Steamer is in a different category. In fact, there is a sizable gap between Morgan and the rest. He and Moss are the only elite HoF worthy talent to ever go thru Foxboro. The fact that he isn't in the HoF is ********.

I'm not going to argue WW at #3. We can agree that TB and JE11 are better football players and athletes but WW's production here is off the charts.

flutie: all the rest are a joke.............

Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Michael Bishop
Top5 Preseason GoAT for sure.

1. Ryan Mallett
2. Tom Flick
3. Tim Dimitroff
4. King Corcoran
5. John "Mr." Friesz

Damon huard, the scout team hero!

Steamer is in a different category. In fact, there is a sizable gap between Morgan and the rest. He and Moss are the only elite HoF worthy talent to ever go thru Foxboro. The fact that he isn't in the HoF is ********.

I'm not going to argue WW at #3. We can agree that TB and JE11 are better football players and athletes but WW's production here is off the charts.
Agree to disagree, I include the "football player" in my wr analysis. And JE ain't done yet, WW is. We'll see how those off the charts numbers stack up when 11 quits.

Agree to disagree, I include the "football player" in my wr analysis. And JE ain't done yet, WW is. We'll see how those off the charts numbers stack up when 11 quits.

Time out! First, your comment about Morgan being left off this list being the same on the silly scale as someone putting WW over JE is laughable.

Also, this whole I include "football player" in my analysis is also kinda. lame WW was a tremendous football player and an elite ST player. JE is more versatile and explosive with a bigger catch radius but WW over JE is a no brainer as all time WR here.

When the discussion comes up about the greatest WR of all time I dont think anyone would arguse that WW would not be in the discussion of slot receivers. JE (As much as I love him) is not in this discussion.. period.

Also, the difference between them in career punt returns is 2 yards per return. And this is with WW having 264 returns in his career (on top of his real job) to JE current 151.

Looking at these numbers:

Some perspective on WW put return ability as compared to another all time great..
WW had 264 punt returns with a 9.8 yard avg
Dion Sanders had 212 returns with a 10.4 average.

Sanders was considered a great return man.

WW was doing punt returns while catching over 100 balls a year (something he did 5x). He was so good at returns and so durable that they risked this guy's health to do this job.
JE was really a punt return guy only when he got here. so for several years that is all he had to worry about and the wear on him was much less
WW also did 48 returns at age 31 and over which will lower his average a bit because at that point he had a ton of wear and tear on him.

WW also averaged slightly higher TD per game over JE despite playing in 76 more games YTD career wise.

WW Yards per game career avg is 14.8 yards per game higher than JE's avg yards per game..

That is with 253 of WWs receptions coming at an age of 31 or older.

Incidently WW had 183 kick returns with a 22.6 careeer yard per return avg
JE has had 28 returns with an avg of 20 yards per return.

So while JE was a 2 Yd better punt returner WW was a 2 yard better KR.

Given the fact that WW is borderline HOF, given the fact that he had 5 seasons over 100 receptions and 2 over 120, given the fact that he was also an elite Special Teams guy, given the fact that WW was a great locker room guy, and probably the most durable player the pats ever had at the WR position (given his incredible production) I am gonna give the nod to Wes here and his 672 receptions for the pats.

Sure, JE made the catch when it counted and if you want to put JE over WW for that go ahead. I just like to be more objective. Its certainly no where near the absurdity of leaving Morgan off a Pats all time WR list. Not even close.

I get it, The trend here is to bash the old and give extra credit to the current and WW did leave to a bitter rival. But that dosent erase what he did here with incredible high level consistency.

Last edited:
Irving Fryar

He might get in a knife fight on Saturday night but show up for the game on Sunday with bandages.
Might have been good to have had him around when the Pats were playing the Ravens and Ray Lewis.

As much as I love JE11 and how highly I think of his career, he's never going to catch WWs production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe