3. Steve Grogan
4. Eason
5. Babe Parilli
6. Matt Cassell
7. Jimmy G.
8. Flutie
9. Butch Songin

10. Jim Plunkett

Did we have to start another thread that will turn into Plunkett is the GOAT, John Havlicheck could dunk over Shaq, Babe Ruth was faster than Vince Coleman, and Eddie Shore could win the Stanley Cup with just him and a goalie?

#1: Brady (GOAT)

Dead last: Jim Plunkett (trash).

giphy.gif

Mallot?

Good list, but there has to be someone better than Zolak. It's Hugh Millen. He wasn't that bad. I wonder how many numbers you'd have to put up to get to Taliaferro?

#1: Brady (GOAT)

Dead last: Jim Plunkett (trash).

giphy.gif

Actually, RW's list does feel right to me even though I never saw Parilli play. The gif in your post actually makes me smile. I don't know if Plunkett is actual trash though.

Eason was a decent QB and deserves a lot of credit for the Patriots historic playoff run in 85, but still, whenever I think of him the first thing that comes to mind is his complete collapse in the Super Bowl against the Bears

The camera zoomed in on his face before the game and it was easy to see the fear in his eyes

Did we have to start another thread that will turn into Plunkett is the GOAT, John Havlicheck could dunk over Shaq, Babe Ruth was faster than Vince Coleman, and Eddie Shore could win the Stanley Cup with just him and a goalie?
Well, Eddie couldn't but Orr certainly could!!

Eason was a decent QB and deserves a lot of credit for the Patriots historic playoff run in 85, but still, whenever I think of him the first thing that comes to mind is his complete collapse in the Super Bowl against the Bears

The camera zoomed in on his face before the game and it was easy to see the fear in his eyes
It's not his fault he started. Things evolve over time, and at that particular point in football history, just starting a Super Bowl was still an unbelievably huge deal. Seasoned veterans like Craig Morton, Daryle Lamonica, Fran Tarkenton and Joe Kapp are just a few who struggled, albeit against world-championship defenses. Like David Woodley, Tony was young and relatively inexperienced, and also set the record for being sacked just the year before, and had the flu. Grogan's experience, knowledge, and ability to manage and control a game were not only factors which made him astronomically preferable to Eason-and were a huge advantage over McMahon-but also were what led the Patriots into contention at all that year; evidenced particularly in the win over Seattle, also on the road in a dome. By Super Bowl XX, Grogan was healed enough from his previous injury to start. It's not farfetched to speculate that had he, the Dawson injury would not have occurred, and the confidence and concentration and execution by the defense would have been better.

Well, Eddie couldn't but Orr certainly could!!
Well, Shore was absolutely great; Hondo did shoot over Jabbar; and Babe didn't have to run fast after hitting it out of the park...

Well, Shore was absolutely great; Hondo did shoot over Jabbar; and Babe didn't have to run fast after hitting it out of the park...
And Orr could kill a 5-1 penalty!

3 or more starts...

1. Tom Brady
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Steve Grogan
4. Babe Parilli
5. Jim Plunkett
6. Tony Eason
7. Matt Cassel
8. Matt Cavanaugh
9. Doug Flutie
10. Scott Zolak
First, I pay attention to other people's opinions because I usually learn something from them, even if we don't always agree. Second, the criteria can vary depending upon how much numbers are emphasized and how much a player is liked-or not. Third, you must decide whether you're taking into account a player's entire career, or just what he did with the Patriots.

I choose the player's whole career, and ability/success at winning football games. So, MVP's and titles in the CFL matter to me (Kapp, Flutie-or Moon, for example). Brian Dowling is the most amazing quarterback I've ever seen play college football, and if it weren't for **** Rehbein I start to feel sick regarding what would have happened with Tom, but probably something similar to Kurt Warner, I would hope. Previously here, I've compared Tom to Bill Russell, which is the highest compliment I can give any athlete, but got lots of nasty responses from posters.

A glance at his bio: Jim Plunkett - Wikipedia is revealing enough regarding Plunkett's character and leadership; and, along with an endless list of awards and accomplishments in college, Jim was described as the "best pro quarterback prospect I've ever seen" and the "best college football player I've ever seen" by rival coaches in the Pac-8. By comparison, Bill Walton also won two titles which his teams probably wouldn't have without him, and was MVP in the first, and got some other awards in the pros along the way. Maybe basketball is completely different from football. But when I rate them, it's "Who's going to win this football game today?" and I saw it with Brady, Plunkett, Grogan and Flutie.

Actually, RW's list does feel right to me even though I never saw Parilli play. The gif in your post actually makes me smile. I don't know if Plunkett is actual trash though.

Parilli was a very good qb.

Traded for at 31 and was consistent. From the pre-short passing era when 50+% was good.

Last edited:

I've never seen Parilli play either but he had a winning record and for the early days in this franchise that means something. Plus one year he lead the league in TD passes and in another in lowest INT %

Plus according to Robertweathers Sr. says, "He made **** happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye