PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: Teams Are Hard For Our 2nd Rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we trade a few 2nds for moves into next season,I can imagine the uproad here.....I do expect at least 1 of the 2nd rounders to be traded away for a
3rd rounder and a 4th or something like that

One of our seconds should land a high 3rd, 4th and 5th.

If we trade a few 2nds for moves into next season,I can imagine the uproad here.....I do expect at least 1 of the 2nd rounders to be traded away for a
3rd rounder and a 4th or something like that

I do expect at least 1 of the 2nd rounders to be traded away for a 3rd rounder and a 4th or something like that
I hope not, the last thing I want is to trade down from a #2 to a #3 just to get another #4.

#2 this year for #3 this year and #2 next year and I'm with it. But not trading down just to do it. Trading down from #1 makes more sense given the talent I expect in round 2.

One of our seconds should land a high 3rd, 4th and 5th.
I also wouldn't be mad at a 1st next year and 3rd or 4th this year.

a 1st next year, a 2010 3rd and a 2010 5th and we have a deal :)

I also wouldn't be mad at a 1st next year and 3rd or 4th this year.

I think at this point its a foregone conclusion that he's going to trade at least one 2nd rounder to move into the 3rd. It'll be interesting to see what the other picks coming back will be. By the way, the Browns have 3 3rd rounders, maybe our 2nd for two of their 3s?

It looks more and more like he's going to dish one for a 1st rounder next year. While I'm not necessarily a huge fan of that it does make sense. I can't think of any team that has ever had 3 1st round picks and the impact of bringing in that much talent in one draft could easily bring us back to the forefront of the NFLs elite organizations.

I think the key for me is to get two top players in the first two rounds.

I'd be happy with that. There's a few holes to fill.

BB seemed curiously willing to volunteer that information today. Unprompted as well.

Could mean any number of things.

Since the Broncos acquired the Dolphins 2nd round pick and have a serious need at WR and DT, this could make for an opportunity to unload the 22nd pick of the draft for an additional 2nd round pick and the Bronco's third round pick (#80).

Since the Broncos acquired the Dolphins 2nd round pick and have a serious need at WR and DT, this could make for an opportunity to unload the 22nd pick of the draft for an additional 2nd round pick and the Bronco's third round pick (#80).

If we only had a stronger veteran locker room, maybe we could have gotten in on this action. We could have given Denver #47 and #53 in this draft for Marshall.

If we only had a stronger veteran locker room, maybe we could have gotten in on this action. We could have given Denver #47 and #53 in this draft for Marshall.

#47 and #53 = two players, four years, ~$7M total.
Brandon Marshall = $7M+/yr.

There's a chance that Marshall becomes Randy Moss redux catching passes from #12, but there's also a chance that Marshall follows Willie Andrews to Crazytown, and that's independent of the strength of the locker room (after all, Willie went bonkers back in 2007).

Last edited:
Does it make sense to give another team two picks in the second round in order for us to move back up into the mid/lower part of the first round?

Last edited:
Does it make sense to give another team two picks in the second round in order for us to move back up into the mid/lower part of the first round?
Depends who's there, doesn't it . . .

Most likely not, IMO, after guys like Morgan and Spiller go in the early to mid teens (though Spiller could go before that) there's a big group fairly equal IMO. But if the Patriots love a guy then, obviously, we can do it while he's still on the board.

No way they move a 2nd this year for a 3rd and 4th. I'd imagine any deal for a 2nd would have to include a 1 or 2 next year, with a 3rd this year.

No way they move a 2nd this year for a 3rd and 4th. I'd imagine any deal for a 2nd would have to include a 1 or 2 next year, with a 3rd this year.
The problem with that is next year's draft class puts me in mind of 2007's class. NE already has an extra first and an extra seventh next year.

This team is not in a position to trade picks for the future. But if they do, they can easily get a first rounder for one of their seconds. Carolina and Denver were dumb enough to do it last year so it should be pretty easy for the Pats this year.

Last edited:
Based on the "traditional" trade value chart, the Patriots picks are worth:

22 780
44 460
47 430
53 370
119 60
190 19
229 5.8
231 5

3rd round pick values range from 265-116 with 190 at the midpoint

4th round picks = 112-44, 70 midpoint

5th round picks = 43-27, 34 midpoint

For perspective, then, the Rams have the first (highest value) pick in every round and yet the total value of their 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks does not quite equal our 2nd round #47. IOW, almost anyone else's offer for our #47 would necessarily involve a 2011 pick.

HOWEVER, there's also a chance that some team might simply want to move up in the 2nd round and offer to trade their later 2nd-rounder , plus something in a later round, for one of our earlier ones. For example, the Cards might offer to trade their #58 and #88 for our #44. We retain three 2nd rounders AND pick up a 3rd rounder. Or, the Eagles could package their #55, #105 and #137 for our #44. We retain a (later) 2nd rounder AND pick up another 4th and a 5th.

Not to mention that we could actually GAIN another 2nd rounder (and then some) by dealing our #22 to some team that wants to move up.

Lotsa ways this could go.

I don't see the fascination with making moves before your on the clock or before another team is on the clock or you have a specific player targeted. The draft is about team, building, acquiring players that fit your scheme. It's not about making moves simply for the sake of making moves. The only other scenario is if another team makes you an offer you can't pass up, but that will best be decided on draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes