PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's Presser 7/29/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually he would have a decent chance. Given that the report says only McNally and Jastremski did it and Brady maybe knew about it. No where does it say anyone else in the Patriots organization knew.
Yeah but i ve read that he missed the appeal date so....
I hope that he has a legal option to win and he actually tries to do it.
That is only option for me to try to forgive him for being...

RE: BB Press Conference "Vintage Belichick !! "
RE: RK Press Conference " Goodel has awakened a a sleeping tiger". Now he knows how Yamamoto felt....

Serious question: Since the NFL will now be randomly measuring footballs for psi and I believe recording the results during the upcoming season, if it is found that the weather/temperature conditions do, in fact, affect the psi ( Green Bay and Buffalo in December come to mind)........and it is found that the Patriot measurements do indeed coincide with the IGL...does Kraft and the Patriots have a chance to get their 1st round pick and 4th round pick returned in time for next season's NFL Draft ??

If Kraft has a successful lawsuit before then, there won't be any more draft. Kind of a catch 22.

Yeah but i ve read that he missed the appeal date so....
I hope that he has a legal option to win and he actually tries to do it.
That is only option for me to try to forgive him for being...

appeal date. lol.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 55m55 minutes ago
Kraft still believes that it is people who work for Goodell, and not Goodell himself, to blame from Patriots perspective. Beyond foolish

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 54m54 minutes ago
Goodell didn't step in and correct initial report. Goodell approved the discipline. Goodell upheld the discipline. It's his bleeping show

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 51m51 minutes ago
I can't take Kraft seriously on this until HE starts telling the truth on this. He's taking the weak, easy way out.

While I like the general approach, he's saying both that Kraft is mistaken and that he's lying, which is somewhat contradictory.

I love BB, but why is he at a press conference about Deflategate, if he's not gonna comment about it. It should have been called a Robert Kraft press conference, nothing to see here, these are not the drones you are looking for (Jedi wave).

There's a difference between:
  1. Not answering questions.
  2. Not even allowing the questions to be asked.
BB lets people ask the same questions that he's going to refuse to answer, multiple times each. It's just how things are done, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

If the press thinks it's their job to say "Upon being asked Question X, Belichick didn't comment" -- well, even if you disapprove, surely you agree that there are many many other problems that are more urgent to fix.

because the press conference was NOT about Deflategate.

It was the scheduled annual start of TC press conference.

Kraft stole the podium to begin.

• The first PC of training camp was ALWAYS going to start with a bunch of PSIgate questions. That was unavoidable.
  • The Pats made a newsworthy statement, then refused to answer any questions whatsoever. That's a good choice, given how wrapped up this all is in court cases, spin, etc.
  • While Bob Kraft's way of not answering questions was to not take them, BB's way was to take and not answer them. Both parts of that make sense to me.

So, now that Kraft has had his "come to Jesus" moment,

Perhaps not the optimal phrasing. :)

is there anything he can do? Does he have any recourse at this late stage of the game?

Straightforward and fairly likely stuff:
  • One small thing he can do is back up Brady's story whenever needed, e.g. in matters of Jastremski and McNally. There are reporters claiming that Brady is a cheater who has successfully hoodwinked Kraft. To the extent Kraft can refute that, great.
  • Kraft can ask uncomfortable questions about the inner workings at league headquarters. Whatever the formalities, it is essentially an operation with 32 co-owners and directors, so a co-owner/director has some clout.
  • The next time the owners actually are thinking of dumping Goodell, Kraft can be influential in getting it done.
What would be great but is unlikely would be for Kraft to publicly undermine Goodell every time he seems to deserve it, ala' Mark Cuban in the NBA. What's Goodell going to do -- fine him every time? A bonus for that kind of plan is that there are benefits to making it obvious to even the dumbest observe that Goodell has grown to hate Kraft, because it sabotages the narrative of "Kraft's minion Goodell is covering up the Cheatriots' wrongdoing."

One thing I took out of the interview is that the Patriots are not going to discuss this anymore and move onto training camp. I know the media is in love with the idea of a "civil war" as they seem to be calling it, but I truly think Kraft is about done with it and ready to let the legal process take it's course. He said what he felt and conveyed his disagreement and I think it ends there. I'd like to see legal action by the Patriots, but I'm not sure we are going to see anymore besides what Kessler and his staff will bring to the table later on down the road.

"I have nothing to say beyond what Bob Kraft said in July, which I agree with" can go a long way. Because the questions will keep being re-asked.

So you're proposing that the NFL will conduct valid scientific experiments and that Goodell is open to changing his mind based on evidence that undermines his beliefs? Goodell lives in his own private Idaho. Even Kraft has come to understand that "this was never about being fair or just."

You're overlooking the scenario in which Goodell pretends that this has been about fairness and justice, pretends that his original opinion was based on incorrect science, and pretends that new scientific information has led him to change his mind.

Actually he would have a decent chance. Given that the report says only McNally and Jastremski did it and Brady maybe knew about it. No where does it say anyone else in the Patriots organization knew.

The entire way that the NFL and Roger Goodell has handled this affair has smacked of a poorly concealed effort to attack, undermine, penalize and defame the Patriots management, employees and athletes. A few (OK, not so few) select incidents (there are many to choose from):

- publicly denying they had any concerns about possible underinflated footballs before the AFC Championship game when, in fact, they were informed before the game about this concern
- the statement at halftime that the NFL was now going to get the Patriots
- the incredibly damaging leak of totally made-up stats about 11 of 12 footballs being 2 lbs. under while all Colts footballs were in the legal range and the refusal to ever (to this day) directly refute this lie. In fact, they forced the Patriots organization to not publicly refute this lie.
- the claim to investigate all aspects of what went on and then only investigate the Patriots, tell the Patriots that they were not going to investigate the NFL's role and then lie to the public saying that they investigated the NFL's actions.
- the claim to hire an "independent" law firm that they actually have a longstanding relationship with to which they pay many millions of dollars a year. This firm made no pretense of independence during the appeals process in fact claiming both attorney/client privilege over all information relating to the investigation while simultaneously acting as prosecuting attorney.
- the Wells report made no pretense to be free from bias as the only evidence ever discussed was always evidence that they interpreted as pointing to guilt. Every assumption made by Wells assumed the worst case scenario for the Patriots. As the WellsReportContext.com site makes abundantly clear, the Wells report consistently presented many half-truths as evidence of improper activity when, in fact, an analysis of all the facts shows exactly the opposite.
- the hiring of the outside firm Exponent which has a long history of doing whatever it takes to produce a report to fit an already determined agenda (think second-hand smoke and asbestos exposure not being in any way harmful to health)
- As the complaint filed in Minnesota makes abundantly clear (what a pleasure to read such a well-written and researched legal brief that didn't sound like legalese), Roger Goodell and the NFL ignored well-established procedures required under their collective bargaining agreement, based their punishment of Brady on parts of the CBA which don't apply to players, created a new standard of guilt ("generally aware") that never existed before in the NFL (and that I've never heard of before in any legal context), consistently throughout the process failed to inform Tom Brady exactly what he was being accused of under the CBA or the possible penalties for his actions (despite this being a CBA requirement which has been consistently upheld by both previous arbitrators and the courts), relied on science which proves nothing without a number of independent assumptions which are impossible to prove (because no records were kept of key data concerning the measurements, the environment and elapsed time) and more (but I'll stop here).
- finally, the NFL chose to smear Tom Brady as it had its final say before court review by making a headline using provocative language of a totally irrelevant act (Brady destroyed cell phone). In actuality, this move to a new phone was irrelevant because the NFL had full knowledge when this announcement was made of the time and recipient of every text message Tom Brady had sent since September, 2014 and the NFL also knew that they already had every relevant text and voice communication that had been requested. This despicable behavior by the NFL is, in my opinion, absolutely grounds for a defamation suit since they knew the only purpose of this headline was to smear (defame) Tom Brady in the public opinion with what is at best a half-truth.

Given these actions and this attitude on the part of the NFL, it is a pipe dream to think that there is any desire for true justice in the matter. The NFL under Roger Goodell's leadership has proven time and again (despite Jerry Jones claims) to be arbitrary, petty, power-hungry and vindictive. (I know, I left out many other choice adjectives that also apply.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back