PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB will do this at some point and everyone will lose their minds

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not sure if this has come up in this forum, but I saw this this other week and filed it away. Given how BB has swiped other obscure strategies from teams like the Lions (leading to Harbaugh cryfests) my guess is he did too. (Especially considering they play SF this week so you know they reviewed this game.)

That clever Chip Kelly saved four points in an 18-point loss

In short, the 49ers committed premeditated penalties (plural) to burn time and cost the Saints a shot at the end zone just before halftime.

With eight seconds left, three 49ers defenders just grabbed Saints receivers and hugged them as soon as they stepped away from the line. Safety Eric Reid took it a step beyond, tackling Saints tight end Coby Fleener. In case you don’t have your rulebook handy, that’s illegal.

But it was of little harm, because it burned four seconds, and moved the ball from the 49ers’ 13-yard line to the 8-yard line. The Saints settled for a field goal just before the half, and ended up winning 41-23. But it was smart because it kept them from having a chance at a touchdown.

Obviously this was inconsequential so it got no real coverage (I assume, I don't watch ESPN etc. but only saw this one mention on Twitter) but when BB does this the league will go berserk.

IMO this is a genius exploitation of rule loopholes and eagerly look forwarded to BB employing it versus the Ravens and then the crybaby boys club changing it at some point in the off season.

Not sure if this has come up in this forum, but I saw this this other week and filed it away. Given how BB has swiped other obscure strategies from teams like the Lions (leading to Harbaugh cryfests) my guess is he did too. (Especially considering they play SF this week so you know they reviewed this game.)

That clever Chip Kelly saved four points in an 18-point loss

Obviously this was inconsequential so it got no real coverage (I assume, I don't watch ESPN etc. but only saw this one mention on Twitter) but when BB does this the league will go berserk.

IMO this is a genius exploitation of rule loopholes and eagerly look forwarded to BB employing it versus the Ravens and then the crybaby boys club changing it at some point in the off season.

That's nothing new and a lot of people have argued in the SB thread during halftime that he/Patricia should have reminded his defensive backs about it when the Seahawks went for it with single digit seconds left on the clock. In fact if you watch some of the BB coaching clips that are out there on the web you will see that he constantly quizzes players about situational stuff like that.

I agree though that the media would lose their **** if he'd actually come out and say that they did this on purpose.

It also reminds me to some extent to how the Ravens took the safety and milked it for all its worth (including blatently holding opponents) against the 49ers at the end of the 2012 SB.

That's nothing new and a lot of people have argued in the SB thread during halftime that he/Patricia should have reminded his defensive backs about it when the Seahawks went for it with single digit seconds left on the clock. In fact if you watch some of the BB coaching clips that are out there on the web you will see that he constantly quizzes players about situational stuff like that.

I agree though that the media would lose their **** if he'd actually come out and say that they did this on purpose.

It also reminds me to some extent to how the Ravens took the safety and milked it for all its worth (including blatently holding opponents) against the 49ers at the end of the 2012 SB.
Huh interesting. I've been watching football for 30+ years and can't ever remember thinking about it, hearing about it or seeing it. Kudos to game threaders for actually thinking of this strategy live. First productive thought to ever come out of a game thread that I'm aware of. :)

Huh interesting. I've been watching football for 30+ years and can't ever remember thinking about it, hearing about it or seeing it. Kudos to game threaders for actually thinking of this strategy live. First productive thought to ever come out of a game thread that I'm aware of. :)

Wish I could mark this "funny" and "Winner" at same time..

Coughlin did something similar against us in the Super Bowl. Intentionally putting 12 men on the field at the end of the game to have an extra defender at the cost of only 5 yards. Thank god that rule was changed to be a flag pre-snap.

That doesn't seem like anything new. I think about stuff like that all of the time. Such as holding on running plays within your own five to see if you can get away with it for a big gain and if caught you only lose 2.5 yards etc. I believe the Giants did it to us in the superbowl with 12 men on the field wasting our precious clock.

Coughlin did something similar against us in the Super Bowl. Intentionally putting 12 men on the field at the end of the game to have an extra defender at the cost of only 5 yards. Thank god that rule was changed to be a flag pre-snap.
I'm pretty sure he confirmed that was incidental. Otherwise he may as well have put all 45 players out there.

NFL might have called an audible on this ploy:

Remember the play last week where the 49ers intentionally held the Saints receivers with 8 seconds left in the first half so that the Saints couldn’t try for a touchdown from the 17-yard line and had to kick a field goal? The NFL has adjusted. If it happens more than once, the officials have been instructed to call a 15-yard, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a “palpably unfair act,” according to a league source and the time would be put back on the clock.​

NFL Week 10: Big storylines from Sunday's games

Isn't this what you do at the end of basketball games?

NFL might have called an audible on this ploy:

Remember the play last week where the 49ers intentionally held the Saints receivers with 8 seconds left in the first half so that the Saints couldn’t try for a touchdown from the 17-yard line and had to kick a field goal? The NFL has adjusted. If it happens more than once, the officials have been instructed to call a 15-yard, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a “palpably unfair act,” according to a league source and the time would be put back on the clock.​

NFL Week 10: Big storylines from Sunday's games

I guess it will depend how well you sell it. There is obvious, intentional PI that deserves this kind of treatment and then there are you run of the mill PIs that are 50/50.

No way the refs could screw that much interpretative power up.. right ?

I guess it will depend how well you sell it.

But certainly this rule change will make coaches think twice about employing this strategem.

I'm not sure what the "if it happens more than once" part is supposed to mean.

I guess it will depend how well you sell it. There is obvious, intentional PI that deserves this kind of treatment and then there are you run of the mill PIs that are 50/50.

No way the refs could screw that much interpretative power up.. right ?
Plus I'm not seeing how this fixes the problem. Would San Fran really care if the ball was on the 9 vs the 13? Completely missing the mark by implementing something that won't fix the problem, but could impact legitimate play seems about right for the NFL.

Plus I'm not seeing how this fixes the problem. Would San Fran really care if the ball was on the 9 vs the 13? Completely missing the mark by implementing something that won't fix the problem, but could impact legitimate play seems about right for the NFL.

Maybe you missed the part about the time being put back on the clock.

Penalties and how they affect the clock is one of those things that never made any sense to me. If you ask me any accepted penalty should put the amount time back on the clock that the "cancelled" play took.

But certainly this rule change will make coaches think twice about employing this strategem.

I'm not sure what the "if it happens more than once" part is supposed to mean.

I was wondering the same thing. Once per game by a given team? Once per game by either team? Once by any team anywhere in the remainder of the season?

Penalties and how they affect the clock is one of those things that never made any sense to me. If you ask me any accepted penalty should put the amount time back on the clock that the "cancelled" play took.
Yep, completely missed that.

Actually, I think the team accepting the penalty should be given the option as to whether to put the time back or not. (If there are offsetting penalties, put the time back so it's a true do-over.)

Last edited:
Actually, I think the accepting the penalty should be given the option as to whether to put the time back or not. (If there are offsetting penalties, put the time back so it's a true do-over.)

That's an even better idea. Yes.

That's an even better idea. Yes.

I agree. Because - and this is obviously ridiculous but it illustrates the problem with the way things are currently - imagine every play being offsetting penalties.

15:00 - 1-10, 25 yd line - Incomplete pass - offsetting penalties.
14:47 - 1-10, 25 yd line - Incomplete pass - offsetting penalties.
14:31 - 1-10, 25 yd line - 6 yard run - offsetting penalties.
14:20 - 1-10, 25 yd line - 5 yard sack - offsetting penalties.
14:05 - 1-10, 25 yd line - 12 yard pass completion - offsetting penalties.
13:55 - 1-10, 25 yd line - 2 yard run - offsetting penalties.
13:47 - 1-10, 25 yd line

Etc. You could have nothing actually happen, yet the game clock runs. Makes no sense actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back