PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB told us what he would do this offseason at the Pro Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If we had paid close attention, and known how to correctly read the signs, like dream interpreters, we might have come close to predicting the future just by paying attention to BB's activities at the Pro Bowl.

#1. BB lets Adalius Thomas address the pro-bowl team several times after practices no doubt to gauge his leadership skills. Then Thomas gushes publicly about BB's personality. Granted, many of us wanted Thomas, but most of us doubted the Pats would lay out the coin, and the acquisition was more a wish than a prediction.

#2. During pre-game practices, BB is talking to the Raiders' DE D. Burgess: "How fast are you?" BB kids. "Lombardi tells me you're fast! Lombardi..." This should have told us that BB and Lombardi, then the Raiders' personnel guru, are friendly enough to engage in idle chatter about each others players. Hardly the "Wall of Silence" that was reported to exist between the two organizations when the Moss rumors swirled at midseason. "Nobody talked to nobody" was the NFL company line when the rumors were dismissed in mocking fashion by plugged in media guys like Schefter and Pasquarelli. If we had weighed that contradiction, we might have once again suspected fire with the Moss smoke.

#3. Finally, on the all access show, BB shouts enthusiastically at Ed Reed during the game, hugging him and patting him on the helmet: "Ed, you're all I need! You're all I need ! Just you and that pair of corners and that's all I need!" Read: fellow Miami alum and Reed clone B. Merriweather in rd 1.

The signs were there, although through a glass darkly. Funny how you can see something and not even know what you're looking at.

Last edited:
I'd love to have like a six hour DVD of him and pioli talking about the team and its players in closed door meetings.

If we had paid close attention, and known how to correctly read the signs, like dream interpreters, we might have come close to predicting the future just by paying attention to BB's activities at the Pro Bowl.

#1. BB lets Adalius Thomas address the pro-bowl team several times after practices no doubt to gauge his leadership skills. Then Thomas gushes publicly about BB's personality. Granted, many of us wanted Thomas, but most of us doubted the Pats would lay out the coin, and the acquisition was more a wish than a prediction.

#2. During pre-game practices, BB is talking to the Raiders' DE D. Burgess: "How fast are you?" BB kids. "Lombardi tells me you're fast! Lombardi..." This should have told us that BB and Lombardi, then the Raiders' personnel guru, are friendly enough to engage in idle chatter about each others players. Hardly the "Wall of Silence" that was reported to exist between the two organizations when the Moss rumors swirled at midseason. "Nobody talked to nobody" was the NFL company line when the rumors were dismissed in mocking fashion by plugged in media guys like Schefter and Pasquarelli. If we had weighed that contradiction, we might have once again suspected fire with the Moss smoke.

#3. Finally, on the all access show, BB shouts enthusiastically at Ed Reed during the game, hugging him and patting him on the helmet: "Ed, you're all I need! You're all I need ! Just you and that pair of corners and that's all I need!" Read: fellow Miami alum and Reed clone B. Merriweather in rd 1.

The signs were there, although through a glass darkly. Funny how you can see something and not even know what you're looking at.

Wow, you are good at BB-speak :rocker:

Hmm... almost like a conspiracy theory but better!

Great job. lol.:D

I'd love to have like a six hour DVD of him and pioli talking about the team and its players in closed door meetings.

Now that would be amazing. Would be the quickest/best 6 hours you could get on DVD.

With all due respect to these amazing revelations, we all picked up on Belichick's chuminess with Thomas and I wasn't the only one on the draft board who said "Meriweather could be Belichick's Ed Reed" . . . we remember 2003 (I think it was that year) when Belichick called Ed Reed the defensive player of the year.

Though BB denies anything special about the Pro Bowl this year,I thought it was a hugely decisive point this offseason. It put his stamp of approval on AD.Seeing a player play is one thing,but the opportunity to really get to know that player is another. lol that was a great analysis!

Cute sarcasm, but if you read closely I wrote that "many of us wanted Thomas." If you want a pat on the back for your wisdom, there, congratulations.
I don't - I was a naysayer on Thomas because I didn't think he'd make it to free agency. There just wasn't much breaking news here. We've known for 5 years that Belichick loves Ed Reed.

I don't - I was a naysayer on Thomas because I didn't think he'd make it to free agency. There just wasn't much breaking news here. We've known for 5 years that Belichick loves Ed Reed.

Hey sorry I'm being a schmuck. It's 100 freaking degrees and the AC is broke. F me running.

Most of us knew BB was being really friendly with AD, and that was the first time I thought NE might seriously go after him, but at the same time I didn't think they'd actually land AD because I thought he'd sign for a bigger contract with the 49ers. If I knew NE could get him at the price they paid I would have been all over it.

When it comes to Meriweather I've had him going to NE in the first round since early Febuary.

I wanted NE to trade for Stallworth in '06 when he went to the Eagles, and during the '06 season (first started thinking this while watching the Dolphins vs the Steelers) I thought Wes Welker would be the perfect fit for NE's offense, and I posted this during the '06 season on ESPN. I wanted NE to give up the second for him, but I didn't think they would actually do it. I was very happy when they did, though.

Last edited:
I think you may be reading into it to much.
You don't think that BB checked out Thomas? Or that the Pro Bowl contact wasn't a factor? Or that we didn't really sign Thomas "D

You totally had me until the Ed Reed-Merriweather comparison. You are stretching that BB line a little thin. Plus I really think that the Ed Reed to Merriweather comparisons are completely unfounded, sure they both played the same position in Miami and got drafted around the same position, but personally I think that's where the comparisons end. However, I definetly enjoyed reading the post, you just might have cracked the unsolvable mystery that is our coach.
P.S. Can you interpret some of his comments about whether he plans to be back after next year.

You totally had me until the Ed Reed-Merriweather comparison. You are stretching that BB line a little thin. Plus I really think that the Ed Reed to Merriweather comparisons are completely unfounded, sure they both played the same position in Miami and got drafted around the same position, but personally I think that's where the comparisons end.
They're clearly the same type of player. Meriweather is a poor man's Reed but the same type, regardless.

There was a thread titled -- "Here's one reason Adalius may sign with the Pats", and the main post:

In addition to the obvious need the Pats have for his abilities, and how a defensive-minded coach like BB will put him in a position to succeed, perhaps Thomas believes Belichick has enough faith (and respect) in him as a person, to also become a team leader. With the long term concerns about two leaders in Rodney and Tedy, there will certainly be an opportunity for new leadership. For Adalius to sign here, something besides $$$ has to motivate him. I think the 'character' players know that what the Pats FO offers are intangibles. Similar to what the Pats seek in their players, some potential Pats seek the same, only from a players perspective.

Meeting with BB at the Pro Bowl may have made a deep impression on Adalius Thomas. We can only hope his impression leads to donning a Pats uni...
---

#1. BB lets Adalius Thomas address the pro-bowl team several times after practices no doubt to gauge his leadership skills.
The fact that BB allowed AD to address the team before and after practices was most likely an act of respect for AD as a person and player. I highly doubt BB was "gauging" him to see if he qualified to be a team leader with the Pats. IMHO, it was this act by BB that seriously influenced AD's decision to sign here.

Well, some of us felt BB would go after a playmaking DB with the first pick. I never once thought of Reed to arrive at that speculation. Look no further than the status of Rodney, Wilson, and Samuel -- and it's easy to see why a Safety with CB skills might be considered.

Please tell me we're not comparing Meriweather to Ed Reed already. This reminds me of when Jets fans called Robertson "Baby Sapp".

After all the negative press BB received following the Colt loss from the hometown media phonies (i.e. the Plagiarizing Pugilist, Man-Hands MacMullen and Farrah Fawcett Felger) and after the national media raked him over the coals, falsely labeling him a poor sport after he failed to meet their standards of decorum following a devastating defeat, BB fought back by allowing Pats all-access to mike him for the probowl. BB made a genuine effort to drop the veil of secrecy and reach out to the public, to show he was not Darth Vader incarnate as depicted. During that window of candor we caught an unusually lighthearted and spontaneous glimpse of our hero, and in retrospect those who watched closely could have gained insight into one of the most ambitious offseasons in league history. Of course, many thoughtful posters guessed at the Pats' plans on their own, because of their own extensive knowledge of the team's needs and tendencies; those who guessed correctly deserve congratulation. But I find it interesting that in those miked up moments, BB's offseason ambitions, thought to be closely guarded secrets, were in fact plain as day to people clever enough to identify them. I wish I had been one of those clever people. That was the point of my original post.

If you grab every 4th letter of odd dated press releases from BB, you will see that he has predicted WW3, the return of Christ and GW Bush's IQ. BB is a great coach and manager, but he is not a prophet. You can go back and cherry pick statements to prove a point, but that does not actually prove the point.

What makes Bioli so great is that they are great at assigning an asset a value and then not paying more than the value. They had an idea of what it would take to sign AD, but does anyone think that if the numbers went higher than their assigned value, they would not have moved to plan B?

They plan, execute, read and react. They do it better than anyone else in the business. But they don't have a crystal ball. At the pro bowl, BB did not know how this team would look. Rather he knew he was going to get the most value for his chips.

What seems great about this is that he smokescreened the whole thing, seemed to be whining about having to go to Hawaii to coach the Pro Bowl, all the while he was greasing the wheels and preparing to load up for '07. There were certainly those who believed he is an uncaring, single focused coach.. some of these guys found out he is not and the truth prevails again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe