PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB rips Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't reckless and it wasn't dangerous. It was a garden variety NFL play that you'll find in every NFL game and carried out by every NFL team.
Sorry but there was nothing extraordinary about that play. Nothing!! In fact there were 10 or more hits in the SF/Seattle game far nastier than that one.

No, there weren't. There weren't any illegal pick plays with cross body blocks. You're wrong.

I'll ask again, has Belichick ever called out Bernard 'how many Patriot players has he put on IR??' Pollard??
'Nuff said.
He put 1 on the IR I believe, limited another player during the playoffs and was just in the area when WW tore his achilles?

Let me put this to you, what do you think it would take to make BB talk about a play in public? Do you not think he had a premeditated/strategic point for making this statement? He didn't speak about WW or call him the Denver WR, BB talked about the "play".

I've never even heard of that.

Let me ask you this: don't you think what Welker did means open season on DBs?

One better Q: have you ever seen a WR throw a cross-body-block on a pick play at full speed? I only see rubs, pushoffs, blocks, etc. In decades of watching football, I've never seen that before.

If you've never seen that before, maybe you should have paid more attention, then.

I already told you what I think was the most likely scenario as to what happened. Read it again. I think that collision was most likely accidental, and any projection about an intent to injure is ridiculous in every way. Sure, the play was to deflect Talib from pursuit of the receiver, but it turned into a split-second game of chicken...neither guy was going to redirect or get out of the other one's way. Ooops...too late.

You can't project malicious intent there.

BTW, there is a guy on my Bills board named upstart who is a New England fan and has like 10s of thousands of posts there. I think his name was upstarter, and then people just called him uppy.

Re: Wish BB was this vocal when Spygate came out....

Belichick hates Welker, period. The TJ Ward hit was a million times worse and he didn't say a thing about it. Welker took a cheap shot and should have been flagged for 15 and he should be fined but it is obvious this is personal with Belichick and that's why he is being so outspoken about it.

If you've never seen that before, maybe you should have paid more attention, then.

I already told you what I think was the most likely scenario as to what happened. Read it again. I think that collision was most likely accidental, and any projection about an intent to injure is ridiculous in every way. Sure, the play was to deflect Talib from pursuit of the receiver, but it turned into a split-second game of chicken...neither guy was going to redirect or get out of the other one's way. Ooops...too late.

You can't project malicious intent there.

BTW, there is a guy on my Bills board named upstart who is a New England fan and has like 10s of thousands of posts there. I think his name was upstarter, and then people just called him uppy.

Hard to have a conversation with someone that roundly ignores what I wrote.

First, I asked for examples. You provided none.

Second, I wrote that Welker veered into Talib at full speed, and you insist that they were on the same line, which is totally contradicted by the vido and .gifs in this thread.

You're saying I should pay attention? Hard to believe coming from someone who ignores the .gif in this thread. Maybe check your eyes at the eye doctor?

The common thread of our last 6 playoff losses:

2007: 14 points in a SB loss to the Giants
2009: 14 points in a divisional round loss to the Ravens
2010: 21 points in a divisional round loss to the Jets
2011: 17 points in a SB loss to the Giants
2012: 13 points in a AFCCG loss to the Ravens
2013: 16 points in a AFCCG loss to the Broncos, mostly in the 4th quarter after the game was over

Not exactly a stellar string of offensive performances.
Withthe exception of 2013, all those teams were defensive teams. Meaning, they got to the SB based on what their defenses were able to do. True, they had to put up more points than the other team, but the team was better at defense.

Also true, is that the refs let more things go in these types of games and that favors the defense (almost reverses the rules that favors offenses during the regular season). so, a good defensive team can actually play better if they are smart enough to play to the refs.

Now having said that, our offense did put up points to go ahead and the defenses couldn't maintain the lead (in the SB games). Still, I would have hoped our offenses could have put up more points to not leave it to our defense, but who doesn't want to win by multiple scores and coast for the 4th quarter. it sure made for compelling football and the Patriots are a big draw nationwide.

If the NFL doesn't do anything about this, maybe Belichick will put a bruising linebacker, like Jamie Collins, in at WR and plan a crossing pattern where he smears the other team's best DB. Just time it so that the ball is almost to the receiver when you blow up their guy and you're legal, right?

Something should be done about this if the NFL is serious about minimizing plays resulting in injury.

Fans from other teams (pherein excepted) and trolls should really stay away from this board right now. I don't think anyone here wants to hear from them. Hopefully the moderators know this and take them out of action.

Oh, I feel the same way.

When you make claims, back it up.

When you say they were in a straight line, show us. You can't because it didn't happen.

When you say it happens all the time, give just one example. if it happens all the time, give us even one example of it happening.

i think what welker did means open season on welker, I predict he gets knocked out of the superbowl when he tries this ***** stuff, and the seattle DB's decide to light him the f up

That was a bad hit from Welker but he has absolutely no history of playing dirty and acting as if this makes him a dirtball is bullsh.t, and if Patriot fans now see him that way then I guess they believe Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins and half of the players on their teams over the past decade are also scumbags because most of them have plays that have crossed the line in their history.

That was a bad hit from Welker but he has absolutely no history of playing dirty and acting as if this makes him a dirtball is bullsh.t, and if Patriot fans now see him that way then I guess they believe Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins and half of the players on their teams over the past decade are also scumbags because most of them have plays that have crossed the line in their history.

Most of us don't think it's a matter of intent. It's a matter of being reckless. So when we say he's going to have to watch it now, it's a matter of a DB or covering LB not taking the risk that he's going to be similarly reckless coming at them.

When you're reckless on the road, you don't intent to hurt anyone, but you shouldn't be driving out of control like that.

The Welker shot was one singular incident.

It was the turning point of the game. With Talib the Broncos punted in their first series and faced 3rd and long in that second series. They never failed to score again when Talib went out.

An accidental collision? Dude, Wes lowered his shoulder. Demaryius was watching Wes and then cut back to set it up. Wes was watching Talib the whole time. There is no question that it was by design.

Belichick hates Welker, period. The TJ Ward hit was a million times worse and he didn't say a thing about it. Welker took a cheap shot and should have been flagged for 15 and he should be fined but it is obvious this is personal with Belichick and that's why he is being so outspoken about it.

This is an interesting comparison and I found it so out of character for BB to even speak of the WW hit without even a question pertaining to it. He typically doesn't say anything after the fact when it comes to officiating or hits and truth be told there has been far worse.
Nick Saban said in an interview once that Belichick doesn't do or say anything without a specific purpose in mind. There was something very purposeful in his remarks and I don't believe it has anything to do with his feelings for Welker.

This is a designed play to hit Talib, the timing of the play is set so that Welker hits Talib as the ball arrives. The entire play happened exactly as designed. It's designed to be technically within the rules and designed to give pain to Talib. I'm not cynical enough to say that they intended to injure him for the game but the play was designed to hit him.

Most of us don't think it's a matter of intent. It's a matter of being reckless. So when we say he's going to have to watch it now, it's a matter of a DB or covering LB not taking the risk that he's going to be similarly reckless coming at them.

When you're reckless on the road, you don't intent to hurt anyone, but you shouldn't be driving out of control like that.

I agree it was a bad play by Welker what i don't agree with is those who are acting like he's a dirty player, he's played thousands and thousands of plays in his career without ever taking a cheap shot and when he has a bad hit he is suddenly total scum. I realize it was a big play and i don't like it any more than anyone else but some perspective is sorely needed on this.

This is an interesting comparison and I found it so out of character for BB to even speak of the WW hit without even a question pertaining to it. He typically doesn't say anything after the fact when it comes to officiating or hits and truth be told there has been far worse.
Nick Saban said in an interview once that Belichick doesn't do or say anything without a specific purpose in mind. There was something very purposeful in his remarks and I don't believe it has anything to do with his feelings for Welker.

While I agree with Mrs Welker (great rack BTW) that BB hates Wes I also agree that BB had a purpose here.
It's a big FU to Manning & Denver in that he's trying to draw league ref attention to Denver's blatant use of the pick play that is not called. Good luck with that Bill as we know that the league this year is all about getting Manning the ring he so deserves. </sarc>

Odd statements by Bill in regard to Welker, he's taking it way too personal.After saying it was a key play to the game, he should have left it at that, there is no need to make additional inflammatory remarks.The league will do absolutely nothing to Welker, those things he said sound better when they come from the fans. This isn't the patriots way.

Odd statements by Bill in regard to Welker, he's taking it way too personal.After saying it was a key play to the game, he should have left it at that, there is no need to make additional inflammatory remarks.The league will do absolutely nothing to Welker, those things he said sound better when they come from the fans. This isn't the patriots way.

Sounds like you bought the story about this being a personal vendetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back