PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bartman Left Chicago, Why Does Tomase Keep His Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Strange juxtaposition:

Steve Bartman did NOTHING other than exist in his space (sure, he put his hands up in front of his face as a ball was careening towards him). He gets his life ruined and has to go underground and move out of Chicago.

Jon Tomase, however, still writes for the Boston Herald after intentionally inventing a story on the eve of the Super Bowl.

Crazy world.

Re: Bartman Left Chicago, Why Does Tomase Stay in Boston?

Bartman wasn't a reporter...Tomase's article didn't make the offensive line do their best impression of matadors in the Super Bowl.

Get a grip.

Bartman wasn't a reporter...Tomase's article didn't make the offensive line do their best impression of matadors in the Super Bowl.

Get a grip.

Bartman didn't do anything wrong.

Tomase did.

Learn some ethics.

Bartman didn't do anything wrong.

Tomase did.

Learn some ethics.
you are right.
it is weird.

Maybe b/c people actually saw Bartman at the game they lost and they believe that he had an "active" part in ruining the game for them. (even though he didn't)

I guess it still doesn't make sense then, but that's all i have.

I'm sure this is somehow related to the fact that 90% of all people are complete morons.

Last edited:

Man, I wish I could get fired up about Tomase like some on this board...I just don't know how a crappy, poorly researched article has people so angry.

Didn't Jackie Mac write unflattering articles about the Pats before their big games in the past? Granted, they were usually better researched and the Pats usually won those big games. If the Pats won the SB, would people be as angry?

Just leave that fat load alone and don't read his articles. This isn't A Clockwork Orange where somebody's going to strap you down and force you to read them.

Last edited:

Man, I wish I could get fired up about Tomase like some on this board...I just don't know how a crappy, poorly researched article has people so angry.

Didn't Jackie Mac write unflattering articles about the Pats before their big games in the past? Granted, they were usually better researched and the Pats usually won those big games. If the Pats won the SB, would people be as angry?

Just leave that fat load alone and don't read his articles. This isn't A Clockwork Orange where somebody's going to strap you down and force you to read them.

That "ShoeBomber" Reid fellow didn't succeed in blowing up that plane a few years ago, either. However, the fact that he TRIED to is why he wasn't given a free pass to move along.

Focus on the concept of "Intent". You may also want to brush up on the terms "Libel" and "Illegal Slander".

Last edited:

That "ShoeBomber" Reid fellow didn't succeed in blowing up that plane a few years ago, either. However, the fact that he TRIED to is why he wasn't given a free pass to move along.

Focus on the concept of "Intent". You may also want to brush up on the terms "Libel" and "Illegal Slander".

So, the intent of Tomase's article was to make the Pats lose the SB? You don't really believe that, do you?

What about the woman who was hurt by "consensual horseplay"? How come Randy Moss isn't suing her pants off for slander? Her intent was to embarrass the WR and by proxy the Pats during the playoffs, no?

It's very hard to prove slander and libel. I don't think Kraft is going to waste his time and money on suing a paper for a poorly researched article. Besides, Walsh DID have tapes...not of the Rams SB but he did have tapes of other games and teams.

So, the intent of Tomase's article was to make the Pats lose the SB? You don't really believe that, do you?

What about the woman who was hurt by "consensual horseplay"? How come Randy Moss isn't suing her pants off for slander? Her intent was to embarrass the WR and by proxy the Pats during the playoffs, no?

It's very hard to prove slander and libel. I don't think Kraft is going to waste his time and money on suing a paper for a poorly researched article. Besides, Walsh DID have tapes...not of the Rams SB but he did have tapes of other games and teams.

The intent was to make a big name for himself at the expense of the Patriots (and truth).

Your analogy to the Moss situation is ridiculous. Moss was in the house with her. He admits things got physical and that she got a boo-boo. She's scum for blowing up the story by a mile, but she didn't fabricate something out of thin air as Tomase, evidently, did with a Rams SB walkthrough tape. BTW, don't close the door on Moss ever suing her - - I believe the statute of limitations on that isn't closed yet. I think it would be unwise since she has no money, no power and will never be in his life again. The Herald does and will always be in the Patriots realm.

Forget about the game. I never talked about the outcome of the game. I don't know why you are so focused on whether it affected the outcome of the game. Grown ups realize that this is a BUSINESS. In business, a brand name relies greatly on reputation and good will (except for the Raiders and a few teams that market a different way).

If the Kraft family lost out on $1 in merchandise sales because of the intentionally false libel committed by Tomase, they have every right to go after him and the Boston Herald. And win.

Last edited:

I agree. I want Tomase tarred feathered and on a rail out of town today. Anyone who belittles the impact of his false allegation is

a) not a Pats fan
b) employed by the Herald
c) connected to people employed by the Herald

If the Kraft family lost out on $1 in merchandise sales because of the intentionally false libel committed by Tomase, they have every right to go after him and the Boston Herald. And win

That'd be very hard to prove. A newspaper article directly causing the Krafts to lose a dollar's worth of merchandise.

The fact they haven't filed a suit should be evidence enough for the folks here who want Tomase and the Herald put into bankruptcy. The Pats want this to go away as quickly as possible. Why let it linger in the courts for months on end?

They're letting it go and so should we. If you never buy another copy of the Herald or read another word Tomase writes, fine. That's your choice. That tubby bastard had a hot lead a day before the SB and wanted to beat the Globe to the punch. It's bad journalism but that's committed by both the Globe and Herald on a daily basis.

The fact they haven't filed a suit should be evidence enough for the folks here who want Tomase and the Herald put into bankruptcy. The Pats want this to go away as quickly as possible. Why let it linger in the courts for months on end?

What?

How the hell could they have filed suit if the first part of the evidence/testimony from Walsh did not come in until yesterday?

Walsh hasn't even met with Goodell and Specter yet!

You're basing your contention on the fact that the Patriots do not have incompetent counsel and haven't made any legal moves before the testimony from Walsh is in?

They may very well not press a lawsuit. They might very well also.

What is evident at this point (unless anything else comes in from a DIFFERENT quarter) is that Tomase fabricated the Rams story and the Herald published it - - evidently satisfied with his "source". That is a judgement call by that media corporation - - one that they will now have to live with.

Last edited:

What is evident at this point (unless anything else comes in from a DIFFERENT quarter) is that Tomase fabricated the Rams story and the Herald published it - - evidently satisfied with his "source". That is a judgement call by that media corporation - - one that they will now have to live with.

You don't know that Tomase fabricated the story. Maybe his source was one of Walsh's golfing buddies and he heard him bragging about how he had a tape of the Rams. It's hearsay but not a fabrication of Tomase's. Tomase will probably be fired or at least reassigned because nobody in the Pats organization will talk to him after this...that kind of makes it hard for a Pats beat writer to do his job.

This whole spygate thing is just ******ed. I remember when football used to be about...you know...football.

You don't know that Tomase fabricated the story. Maybe his source was one of Walsh's golfing buddies and he heard him bragging about how he had a tape of the Rams. It's hearsay but not a fabrication of Tomase's. Tomase will probably be fired or at least reassigned because nobody in the Pats organization will talk to him after this...that kind of makes it hard for a Pats beat writer to do his job.

This whole spygate thing is just ******ed. I remember when football used to be about...you know...football.

Don't know much about the journalism business?

Lemme inform you. A story like that, (on the eve of a hometown SB appearance, btw) does NOT see the light of day unless it has been vetted by at least one (probably several) editors.

If you think only Tomase is on the hot seat over there at the Herald, I'd recommend you stay and watch what goes down in the near future.

Don't know much about the journalism business?

Lemme inform you. A story like that, (on the eve of a hometown SB appearance, btw) does NOT see the light of day unless it has been vetted by at least one (probably several) editors.

If you think only Tomase is on the hot seat over there at the Herald, I'd recommend you stay and watch what goes down in the near future.

Is it embarrassing to the paper? Yes. Did the Pats lose one red cent as a direct result of the article? Probably not. Their reputation was already sullied by the Jets/Goodell. Suing the Herald won't do much other than prove what we know already. Tomase is a hack.

Is it embarrassing to the paper? Yes. Did the Pats lose one red cent as a direct result of the article? Probably not. Their reputation was already sullied by the Jets/Goodell. Suing the Herald won't do much other than prove what we know already. Tomase is a hack.

Once again, you focus on the writer only.

The Herald CORPORATION gave the report its blessing.

Open your eyes, there's a very big business world out there.

But back to my original question: Isn't it pathetic that Bartman had to leave town immediately and go under cover when all he did was breathe, meanwhile Tomase actively timed and reported a very big blockbuster (he HAD to have known what the impact would be) based on...........? And the higher-ups at the Herald approved of its publication.

The KEY here is that IF Walsh was Tomase's source and if he simply lied to Tomase.......then Tomase has NO reason to "protect" the source. Tomase should just come out and say it was Walsh. If he doesn't - - then he is protecting someone who threw him under the bus. I can't understand the thought process of that.

Last edited:

Once again, you focus on the writer only.

The Herald CORPORATION gave the report its blessing.

Open your eyes, there's a very big business world out there.

But back to my original question: Isn't it pathetic that Bartman had to leave town immediately and go under cover when all he did was breathe, meanwhile Tomase actively timed and reported a very big blockbuster (he HAD to have known what the impact would be) based on...........? And the higher-ups at the Herald approved of its publication.

The KEY here is that IF Walsh was Tomase's source and if he simply lied to Tomase.......then Tomase has NO reason to "protect" the source. Tomase should just come out and say it was Walsh. If he doesn't - - then he is protecting someone who threw him under the bus. I can't understand the thought process of that.

according to (baseball guy) Tim Kirchin (sp?) on Mike and Mike this morning, Tomase would risk losing all future "sources" if he rats out the one that gave him the false info.... no one will want to give him anything in the future so he has to keep his mouth shut.

who knows if that will happen or not, but i thought it was interesting.

Last edited:

Strange juxtaposition:

Steve Bartman did NOTHING other than exist in his space (sure, he put his hands up in front of his face as a ball was careening towards him). He gets his life ruined and has to go underground and move out of Chicago.

Jon Tomase, however, still writes for the Boston Herald after intentionally inventing a story on the eve of the Super Bowl.

Crazy world.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS POST. "intentionally inventing?" You people make yourselves the culprits with GIGANTIC overreach B.S. like this.

YOU ARE A COMPLETE LUNATIC.

I agree. I want Tomase tarred feathered and on a rail out of town today. Anyone who belittles the impact of his false allegation is

a) not a Pats fan
b) employed by the Herald
c) connected to people employed by the Herald

d) sane.

F off to those who think being some kind of homeristic fan-boy about this issue - many months after passions should've begun flagging - means you've cornered the market on integrity. What you've cornered the market on is IRONY.

d) sane.

F off to those who think being some kind of homeristic fan-boy about this issue - many months after passions should've begun flagging - means you've cornered the market on integrity. What you've cornered the market on is IRONY.

Sorry 23, know Tomase was for some reason your boy. But he F'ed up royally. As Holley stated this AM as a journalist himself, this isn't going to go away for John. Life is all about choices. This isn't the first poor choice he's made either. Last one cost him his beloved Sox beat. He obviously felt pressured to run with his Walsh story absent a credible source. You win some you lose some. But at the end of the day you are what you write in that business. He either has to make the reading public and his peers aware of why he did what he did and do his mea culpa for being duped (or cop to putting his own drive for potential advancement above the minimal standards of his industry) , or his work here is effectively ended. It probably is anyway. As Bill would say, it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents