Welcome to PatsFans.com

B.J. Raji article...

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Seneschal2, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The Globe's Christopher Gasper has this worthy piece on Raji:

2. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 2 / -4

Nice piece. Raji's giving Aaron Curry a serious run as my favorite player in this draft. He seems like a good kid, and a major talent. The havoc that he could wreak would be tremendous, even with all the talent that the Pat's have.

In my latest wet dreams I have us trading Cassel to TB for #19 + a conditional pick and moving up to 14 with NO for Raji. Add Sean Smith at CB/S with our other 1st, Connor Barwin in the 2nd, and a FA CB, and our defense would be amazing. Much as I love Curry, I could see Raji having an even bigger impact on our D ... maybe I need a new avatar.

3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

Unfortunately, #14 isn't likely to get it done. Both the Browns and Broncos pick higher than that, and the Chiefs pick #3. Raji would be a luxury pick for the Browns, but the Broncos need a 3-4 NT, and the chiefs will need one if they make the switch. Also, the Jaguars have had the Henderson/Stroud combo at DT in the past, and might decide to re-form that sort of monster interior line, because Henderson hasn't been able to shut down the run by himself.

4. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +178 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

I guess the big secret on this guy is out of the box. Too bad, he would of been an intriquing pick at 23. A lot of early mocks had him in our range just a week ago.

5. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

6. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Raji won't get past the Broncs at 12.

7. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 2 / -4

As things stand today, Raji SHOULN'T get past Denver at 12, but teams don't always draft optimally (Ted Ginn, anyone?) and it remains to see what happens in FA.

KC at #3 has multiple needs and spent a top-5 pick on DT last year. It's not definite if they are going to a 3-4, or how Dorsey would fit if they do go 3-4. Doubt they'll pick DT top 5 two years in a row.

Cleveland at #5 spent a lot of money on DT last year in FA. CB and LB are bigger needs. Doubt they pick DT.

Jacksonville at #8 could use a DT to go with Henderson, but OT is a much bigger need and I doubt Raji fits them.

Green Bay at #9 could go DT but has other bigger needs.

SF at #10 could go DT but really needs a pass rusher. They can get a run-stuffing DT later.

Denver at #12 needs a whole new defense except for CB. Raji would make sense, but they could fall in love with someone else (e.g., Maualuga at ILB). Like SF, they could get a serviceable wide body later.

FA could change things. If Haynesworth leaves then all bets are off.

Plus right now Raji is probably at his peak. At the Combine a lot of juniors may put up big numbers and jump up boards. Last year at this time peope were saying Sedick Ellis might pass Dorsey as the #1 DT, and possibly even go #1 overall. I wouldn't be surprised if Raji fell back a bit between now and the draft.

Besides, since when were wet dreams supposed to be rational?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.