PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Attended Patriots Predraft Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsully

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I attended this years party again, hosted by Michael Smith and ESPN BOSTON.
The panel included Teddy Bruschi, Mike Reiss, Andy Heart and Todd McShay. Another great event held by the patriots.

The will be posting the replay online at New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Just some notes

Pats only have 5 picks next year and Jon Kraft made a specific mention of obtaining more picks for next year and 2013.

Moss won't be back.. Bruschi said he's a me type of player and that won't change.

Brooks Reed is high motor player who should be a 1st round pick and would fit the Patriots perfectly.

Players who people perceive that can't play in the pats system because they can't play in space should remember BB taught Willie McGinnest how to... ANd if he could get Willie, he could get anyone

All four members liked the idea of Quinn coming here.. Again a reference was made how Quinn plays better with things infront of him.. Very much like McGinnest. And the pats need a pure pass rusher.

Don't be shocked with Costanzo with #17. Deep DL draft and you can't pick up a guy rated as high as the first few, early in the second. So now you walk away with two highly rated players.

Pats will definitely draft a RB this year possibley two

Pats bring in 30 players this year but might only be interested in 20 of them. The other 10 is for information purposes. The example they gave was they bring in a RB they don't like but want to know more about him. During the interveiw they ask what his weaknesses are. They find out he doesn't pass block well on his left so when they play him in the future, they attack that weakness..

Chris Canty's name came up as one of the worst #1 draft picks in Bruschi's time. Said the players questioned from day 1 his ability and heart.. They were shocked he was brought in. Reiss said the Pats wanted Trevor Price but he went a pick before and the Pats panicked. Big difference now is the Pats don't panick and have plans for everything

#1 picks for the Pats are basically captains for that draft class. The player must represent BB style. Only 1 year this didn't happen.. Maroney

During a Q&A, Bruschi felt the rookies shouldn't go to the draft because of the holdout. He felt there is no difference between going to the draft and being at home with your family. He kept hammering how he's not a "me" person. And his experience wasn't any different from Key Johnson.. Now I started to laugh and most people in the room disagreed with him.
Andy Hart brought up a great counter point why the rookies really should be mad at the players now. Andy pointed out the rookies are getting shafted with the possible rookie cap and the Veterans seem to have no issue with it. Can't have your cake and eat it to..
my take- you have the Jeff Saturday's of the world on NFLN or doing radio time and getting paid for doing interviews. If you are on strike, you can't be doing stuff like this and then asking rookies and other players to hold the line.

Yesterday was a fun time but I gotta be honest, last years was a little better.. They really talked up specific players

Amazing write up. Best draft read of the year. You have given us alot to talk about.

Nice write up.. cannot wait for this weekend, but anticipate a serious let down on Sunday.. when we than have to just wait and wait.

What caught my attention is that in one breath the reporters are praising Quinn, but then they describe the "right kind of BB player" they seek in the 1st round...and Quinn definitely doesn't fit that shoe.

Players who people perceive that can't play in the pats system because they can't play in space should remember BB taught Willie McGinnest how to... ANd if he could get Willie, he could get anyone

Perhaps Tedy was also thinking of another college DL who became a Pats LB and not only played adequately in space, but had magnificently quick reactions ...:rocker:

:D

Excellent post. I really gotta be on the lookout for that replay. It sounded like draftnik heaven.

Excellent job! Just wondering if they talked up any other prospects?

Nice stuff there. I'd love to see a stud DE and then an OLB added to this team. I don't think we go OL till round 2. Costanzo looks to be a nice player but would I take him over a DE? No. Especially not if we're trading out of 28 and I think we will do that to acquire future picks as mentioned.

Nice stuff there. I'd love to see a stud DE and then an OLB added to this team. I don't think we go OL till round 2. Costanzo looks to be a nice player but would I take him over a DE? No. Especially not if we're trading out of 28 and I think we will do that to acquire future picks as mentioned.

I would have to agree with this. We definitely need to bolster the DE position and need to add an impact OLB. We need to bolster our third down defense. Then we can look at offense and the OL in particular. It's also clear we need to draft at least one RB to bolster that position-but that can come in the later rounds. It would also be good to take a project OLB in the later rounds as well.

Yesterday was a fun time but I gotta be honest, last years was a little better.. They really talked up specific players
Your last remark intrigued me. I'm curious about what guys they talked about last season and who they were right about, compared to who we got. Let us know

Your last remark intrigued me. I'm curious about what guys they talked about last season and who they were right about, compared to who we got. Let us know

Teddy talked up Gronk, Ricky Sapp and Sergio Kindle. Of the latter two, it was more about their size and how they would fit in our scheme. He gave a back story of how BB tried him at OLB one day and how it failed. He couldn't seal the edge. And then followed that up how important it is for the OLB to be a certain size. Something to the effect the OLB needs to see over the opponents shoulders and be strong enough to push his shoulder in or out, depending on how they want the play to flow

What caught my attention is that in one breath the reporters are praising Quinn, but then they describe the "right kind of BB player" they seek in the 1st round...and Quinn definitely doesn't fit that shoe.

Did you attend? Or were you reading off what I wrote? Cause I think the conversation about Quinn in the 1st 30 minutes of the Party.. And the "right kind of BB player" was discussed towards the end. But of course, so much went on..

Excellent job! Just wondering if they talked up any other prospects?

Early on during the discussion, each member through out some names. For the life of me, I don't remember what Reiss said exactly (he did talk about the local UMASS and NH players and how the hold out hurts them. I know Hart and Bruschi liked Quinn and Brook Reed..Brook Reed brought a huge smile to Bruschi and thinks the pipeline will continue! McShay was high on Costanzo and Ingram (I think Watt to.. but that might be something I am remembering from his pod cast).

They talked about local players, Costanzo and Mark Herzlich. Bruschi has a relationship with Mark because they've gone thru similar experiences. But now I think about this and a light bulb went off in my head.. Bruschi said this exactly "Mark's already a Patriot player even though he might not know it". So I'm taking, he's getting drafted by the Pats.. Seriously this just hit me.. Very interesting..

I'm trying to remember more but so much was talked about in 2 hours. I found last years a little more informative. Floyd Reese was there last year and talked how the 40 time isn't that important. He said "thats the fastest the player will ever run and will never duplicate it again in his pro career".. And then went on how game speed on tape is more important.

if anything else pops up in my head, i'll post it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes