PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As of right now, who is a better WR on our team and is ahead of Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously the Pats think highly of him...and already know how they want to use him based on his skillset from film. Simply put, they think he fits the offensive system. But he still hasn't learned the offense YET, therefore isn't better than anyone YET. A more accurate guess is, he's the best punt returner on the roster -- and that's worth something.

If I were to guess of his WR production, I'd say he'll be top 3 in receptions -- and don't really care who leads.

A Caldwell-Welker-Gaffney combo on 3rd downs.

Gaffney-Jackson on running plays.

Caldwell-Jackson-Welker on the deep bomb.

I agree. We'll see a lot of different groupings. You're missing one important one: Caldwell-Jackson-Welker-Gaffney. Brady loves going 4-wide, says so all the time on EEI.

Last edited:
The group of Caldwell/Jackson/Gaffney/Welker gives Brady the best 4 WR set he has worked with since 2004.

The group of Caldwell/Jackson/Gaffney/Welker gives Brady the best 4 WR set he has worked with since 2004.

I think it's safe to say it could very well be far better than that.

Lets say this way,we are a team....Hopefully our WR will only care in the world is what is best for the team...Whoever open will get the ball...Defenses is not going to put 8 or 9 in the box...

The nice thing about Welker is that he is signed for 5 years.

Gaffney and Caldwell are only signed thru 2007.

This is key. For everybody who's looking at this move as a sign that Jackson's season is doomed, remember how long it takes for Brady to develop ideal rhythm with a WR. Welker and Jackson are set up to be the continuity in the receiving game.

I like Gaffney better than Caldwell.. And I think a full offseason will do wonders for Gaffney.. Shame Chad Jackson will not be apart of it...

With due respect to Welker who is certainly a solid PR who will fill that role nicely, let's get real - he's not close to the best PR in the AFC.

Very realistic post. He has been an excellent PR/KR for the doofins. Some of his biggest games were against us. Let's not crown him a #1 WR just yet. He will be a slot receiver, most likely a #3 WR for us. His role will be similiar to that of a Troy Brown....hopefully he can fill those ENORMOUS shoes should Troy not return....We will be needing to solidify our #1 and #2 WR's for next season. Things could change dramatically with a signing of either Moss or Stallworth....could be the end of Caldwell's Pats career. Jackson is still a what if.....he has this coming season to prove he can play here....or I would imagine he will be gone as well....But again, lets see Wes for what he really is.....a good #3 slot receiver.....and a great special teams addition.....one man's opinion

With due respect to Welker who is certainly a solid PR who will fill that role nicely, let's get real - he's not close to the best PR in the AFC.
He's the best we've had since Troy was 30 yrs old.

Welker is at the moment the most 'polished' of our WRs.

Jackson has more 'raw talent', but obviously that hasn't translated to the field yet.

I'd take Welker hands down over either Gaffney or Caldwell.

Right now I see the depth chart as:

Welker/Caldwell as the 1/2. Caldwell has more experience (in our system), but I feel that Welker will catch on quickly and become the go-to guy.
Gaffney #3 (though Welker will most likely slide into the slot in 3 wide sets)
Jackson #4
Brown/Bam/Rookie #5

If Stallworth is signed it'll add even more talent and competition to the mix. This is very good for our WR corps.

No more Kelvin Kite. No more Bam Childress.

I'd like to see Troy brought back, but it makes me very happy to know that the Patriots are making it a priority to improve Tom's options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back