PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article on how long Brady has left

Status
Not open for further replies.

dales804

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ryan Wilson at sportsline.com wrote an article on what Brady has left with some analysis of what other QBs his age and older have done.

Link

But here's the thing: By Brady standards, the 2013 season was decidedly mediocre. Compared to his 12 full previous seasons (Brady only played in one game as a rookie, and one game in '08, when he suffered a knee injury in Week 1), 2013 ranked ninth in terms of passer rating, ninth in touchdown passes, and 12th in completion percentage.
It's been discussed before but thoughts everyone?

Stats in a vacuum are next to useless. I can manipulate them into anything. It's all about context. His TDs may have been low but what about our overall offense? We were in the top simply because we ran in a lot of TDs. There's also the next to no WRs issue.

Was 2013 really that mediocre given that he had only one reliable WR all season?

Exactly. I'm not about to pretend Brady is invulnerable to age, but the fact the WR, TE, and even receiving RB corps were running on fumes last year makes any single-year stats for him meaningless.

The way Brady plays i think he still has 3 GREAT years and he'll leave on a high note. He's going down as the GOAT

Exactly. I'm not about to pretend Brady is invulnerable to age, but the fact the WR, TE, and even receiving RB corps were running on fumes last year makes any single-year stats for him meaningless.

Not to mention he was sacked more than any year other than his rookie season. Now part of that could be related to the lack of reliable receivers as well, but any QB who perceives he doesn't have much time to throw is going to suffer mechanically. It's a big reason why I believe he missed a lot of open throws last year. If the o-line improves this year, and the receivers gain his trust more, we're going to see a much more comfortable Tom Brady back there. The numbers would follow suit.

I feel overthrows are more the fault of the receiver not trusting their QBs arm.. lack of experience with each other being a prime reason for this.

And shouldnt an aging qb underthrow his receivers as that first sign he's losing arm strength?

As I said many times before, it's too early to tell whether or not Brady is declining. He was handed a TE corps that, outside of one guy, was basically nothing. On top of that, he was trying to work in 3 rookies receivers, a new slot receiver who was also injured basically from Week 1, and a guy that is ideally a very good WR3. Add that in with the issues at C and RG, and it's impossible to tell whether or not Brady is truly in decline. Let's give the young guys another year in the system and see how the rebuild is along the interior OL before we go saying that Brady is definitely declining.

For me it was a great season from Brady, any other QB would have gone 9-7 at best with that team. Stats are like bikini for me, shows everything but the most important.

I'm pretty sure Brady will play on a high level until the end of his current contract and I don't doubt him going until his 42's.

Stats in a vacuum are next to useless. I can manipulate them into anything. It's all about context. His TDs may have been low but what about our overall offense? We were in the top simply because we ran in a lot of TDs. There's also the next to no WRs issue.
The conclusion of the article is that Brady still has some great football ahead of him. Did you read that part?

Ryan Wilson at sportsline.com wrote an article on what Brady has left with some analysis of what other QBs his age and older have done.

Link

Gee, I wonder if there was something different about 2013, cause if there was, it might have had something to do with his statistics.:rolleyes:

I personally think 2013 was one of his greatest seasons.

I personally think 2013 was one of his greatest seasons.

EDIT: I guess the article says that. Seems like i read thids before. or something very similar.

The pats have to plan to have a QB ready. Brady looks great now, could succumb to nagging injuries as he gets older, or could be the all time great, including a healthy over 40 stint. Let's face it, he looks like a kid and his wife undoubtedly knows every healthy eating trick in the book.

I think 2013 was a mixed season for Brady.

In a couple of games (v. Steelers and in the come-back game against the Broncos) he was as impressive as I've ever seen him.

It's clear what his strengths are at this stage: reading defenses, gunning fast throws into tight windows. The worry is that he may not have the pieces around him this coming season to take advantage of that. Watching him hit the Gronk on seam routes is one of the joys of rooting for the Pats.

I think Brady did have an average season. This can be attributed, in my mind, to his baseball sized hand and poor receiving talent coupled with injuries.

Link

My thoughts are that for about 10/16 of the season (i.e. the games without Gronk), the guy arguably had the worst receiving corps of his entire career. I think that, much more than anything else, explains the decline in production. It is not a decline in talent or ability.

My thoughts are that for about 10/16 of the season (i.e. the games without Gronk), the guy arguably had the worst receiving corps of his entire career. I think that, much more than anything else, explains the decline in production. It is not a decline in talent or ability.
I agree. If he had weapons for the whole year, he'd have put up great numbers. But he carried that team to the AFCCG.

And are people not reading the article? The writer mentions about the lack of weapons:
To paraphrase Rick Pitino: Randy Moss and Wes Welker weren't walking through that door. Instead, Aaron Hernandez was in jail, Rob Gronkowski was recovering from various injuries, and Brady was left playing catch with undersized Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola, and inexperienced Aaron Dobson andKenbrell Thompkins.
He also said how well Brady played:
In fact, you could even make the case that Brady had one of his best seasons because he led New England to the postseason without a single big-time receiving threat.

Obviously hes done. Why else draft Garrapolo? Trade him and Amendola to Houston for Andre Johnson.

Obviously hes done. Why else draft Garrapolo? Trade him and Amendola to Houston for Andre Johnson.

Also we need to throw in Mallett, so that they can give us Watt as well :rolleyes:.

Also we need to throw in Mallett, so that they can give us Watt as well :rolleyes:.
And don't forget about adding a couple of draft picks so all the draftniks can use them to ***** about who we selected instead of player/position X, Y, Z. BB will never get it right. Just look at his track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back