PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

April 17th Patriots Mock Draft Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
We've done this a couple of times, and I'd like to see where we're at with just over a week to go. I'm gonna alter the rules a little bit this time, though...

1. Use CBS Sports Rankings.

2. You may not select a player ranked higher than your pick on Day One. (In other words, if you've got the #17 pick, you can't pick anyone rated #1 through #16.) You can select a player ranked 3 positions higher than your pick Day Two. You may select a player ranked 10 positions higher than your pick on Day Three.

3. This time, we'll allow trades. However, you can't just make up your own. Use this Draft Pick Value Chart to make sure the trades are relatively even. One team can not receive 20 more points than they give up in any trade. Also, no trading for 2012 picks or trading picks for players.​

Patriots begin with the following picks: 17, 28, 33, 60, 74, 92, 125, 159, 193

Last edited:
We've done this a couple of times, and I'd like to see where we're at with just over a week to go. I'm gonna alter the rules a little bit this time, though...

1. Use CBS Sports Rankings.

2. You may not select a player ranked higher than your pick on Day One. (In other words, if you've got the #17 pick, you can't pick anyone rated #1 through #16.) You can select a player ranked 3 positions higher than your pick Day Two. You may select a player ranked 10 positions higher than your pick on Day Three.

3. This time, we'll allow trades. However, you can't just make up your own. Use this Draft Pick Value Chart to make sure the trades are relatively even. One team can not receive 20 more points than they give up in any trade. Also, no trading for 2012 picks or trading picks for players.​

Patriots begin with the following picks: 17, 28, 33, 60, 74, 92, 125, 159, 193

Ok I'll Give it a Go one more time.

17.) Aldon Smith - Don't know why but i think he is great, played hurt this year, prototypical size, a top athlete at a position of need.

28.) Muhammad Wilkerson - Once again a talented player at a position of need. i am really trying to stock this defense with 1st round talent for the next 4 years so we aren't always relying on brady.

33.) trade for #51 and #83

51.) Rodney Hudson - Backup interior lineman hopefully to take Koppens job after a year on the pine.

60.) Bruce Carter - i am taking a shot on this guys athletic ability i know people will talk about fit but i dunno i think the guy is talented and am taking a shot

74.) Daniel Thomas - In my scenario our backs to start the season are faulk, woodhead, BJGE and morris as FB. Thomas replaces Taylor.

83.) Edmond Gates - Taking a flyer on him because we can. Hopefully he turns into the next Wallace. (more likely i would like to trade this for a 2012 2nd)

92.) Clint Boling - Lets us add another talent to our Interior Line. I think he's not bad value here.

125.) Greg Romeus - Taking a flier on someone everyone thought had a 1st round grade last year but hasn't done to well recently

159.) Owen Marecic - Let him fight it out in TC for either a ST possition or try to beat out Morris for FB

193.) insert best longsnapper available's name here... just for kicks

Someone has to do a MADDEN on this mock thing, here i go.

6, [FROM CLE] Robert Quinn, we get the DL we need so much.

17, TRADED TO KC FOR 21, 55 & 85

21, [FROM KC] Mike Pouncey, we get the OL protection to replace Neal or perhaps Mankins.

28, TRADED TO CLE FOR 6

33, TRADED TO CLE FOR 6

55. [FROM KC] Quinton Carter,
good looking player at safety. With Meriweather losing the coaches confidence, some increased competition can only be a good thing.

60, TRADED TO KC FOR 21 , 55 & 85

74, TRADED TO CLE FOR 6

80, Stefen Wisniewski, a good upgrade at Center, good character, skill and effort player.

85, [FROM KC] TRADED TO JAC FOR 80

92, TRADED TO CLE FOR 6

125, TRADED TO KC FOR 21, 55 & 85

159, Stanley Havili, we haven't dressed a traditional FB since Heath Evans. This fella is a great blocker with Hands and a pretty handy YPC as a surprise option. Has the BB stamp of versatility.

193, TRADED TO JAC FOR 80

Round one
17 -- OT Nate Solder
28 -- DL Muhammad Wilkerson

Round two
33 -- TRADE: Houston trades #42 (480), #105 (84), & #178 (21.2) [total = 585.2] to outbid Oakland for #33 (580) and draft the remaining top CB (Ras-I Dowling) after a run on CBs in the first round. They likely miss on Amukamara so take a DE/OLB like Kerrigan or A. Smith at #11, this leaves them #73 to draft NT or S.
42 -- RB Ryan Williams
60 -- CB Curtis Brown

Round three
65 -- TRADE: NE trades #74 (220) & #125 (47) [total = 267] to Carolina for #65 (265) to draft DE/OLB Allen Bailey. Carolina has many needs moving down a bit in the third for an extra fourth gives them one more shot in the draft.
74 -- traded to Carolina (see #65)
92 -- DL Terrell McClain

Round four
105 - TRADE: Jacksonville trades #114 (66) & #182 (19.6) [total = 85.6] for NE's #105 (84) with QB Ricki Stanzi still on the board.
114 - TRADE: Washington trades #144 (34) & #155 (30.4) [total = 64.4] for NE's #114 (66) to move up and grab NT Ian Williams to replace Albert Haynesworth.
125 - traded to Carolina (see #65)

Round five
144 - TRADE: SF trades #174 (22.8), #211 (8), & #231 (2.3) [total = 33.1] for NE's #144 (34) to move up and draft S Jaiquawn Jarrett.
155 - WR Denarius Moore.
159 - TE Julius Thomas

Round six
174 - OL Brandon Fusco
178 - TRADE: Denver trades #186 (18) & #189 (16.8) [total = 34.8] for NE's #178 (21.2) & 193 (15.2) [total = 36.4] to move up and draft DT Lawrence Guy.
182 - RB Da'Rell Scott
186 - OL Byron Stingily
189 - S Joe Lefeged
193 - traded to Denver (see #178)

Round seven
211 - TRADE: Atlanta trades #229 (2.5) & 230 (2.4) [total = 4.9] to NE for #211 (8) to move up and draft WR Jeff Maehl.
229 - LB J.T. Thomas
230 - OL Mike Person
231 - OLB Karl Klug

Total 15

Offense: 8
OT Nate Solder
OL Brandon Fusco
OL Byron Stingily
OL Mike Person
RB Ryan Williams
RB Da'Rell Scott
WR Denarius Moore
TE Julius Thomas

Defense: 7
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
DL Terrell McClain
DE/OLB Allen Bailey
OLB Karl Klug
LB J. T. Thomas
CB Curtis Brown
S Joe Lefeged

Priority UDFA

QB Adam Froman
or
QB T. J. Yates

I drafted every position except: QB, PK, P, LS.

TRADE - 17, 74, and 92 to Wash for 10.

10. Cameron Jordan - IMO, best 34 DE in the draft.

28. Danny Watkins - nasty OL and instant starter at G. Can either replace Mankins or make a great OG combination.

TRADE - 33 to SF for 45, 108, and 141.

45. James Carpenter - Will make a solid RT.

60. Sam Acho - will improve 3rd down pass rush and OLB competition.

108. Jacquizz Rogers - he's going to be a steal for someone, hopefully it'll be us.

125. Greg Romeus - stash on IR for a year, then he replaces TBC.

141. DeMarcus Love - another nasty OL who projects to Guard for the Pats.

159. Chykie Brown - physical CB and ST contributor. Could covert to S.

193. Mark Herzlich - if he checks out medically, the kid deserves a chance.

Let me caveat that I don't believe this list is how I would rank the top players *** So that's why I am using this list from here instead 2011 NFL Draft: Big Board | NE Patriots Draft

Here we go.. I am basing this off the fact that I don't think there will be a guy who the Pats covet that much in the 8-13 range to move up. I do see value in 25-45ish range

Trade #17 to Chicago for #29 and #62 and #195 (Chicago Selects Gabe Carimi ahead of Giants / Colts / Eagles all looking for OL Help

Trade #28 #92 to Buffalo for #34 and #68 (Buffalo Selects Ryan Mallet jumping ahead to get their QB of the future obviously Bill is not scurred)

#29 Patriots select Mike Pouncey OG/C - Florida (A steal at this point in the draft)
#33 - Patriots select Brandon Harris CB - Miami (A BB type of player that played in a poor coaching situation)
#34 - Patriots Select Allen Bailey DE/OLB - Miami (A Physical Specimen who the pats have had in for more visits than any other player)
#60 - Patriots Select Sam Acho OLB - Texas (I know that's two OLB Types but I see BB really trying to replenesh this group .. the kid is smart ..loves football and is a gamer)
#62 - Patriots select Kendrick Ellis DL - Hampton (6-5 340 Beast..some questions on character worth a shot though)
#68 - Patriots select Clint Boling OL - Georgia (A perfect choice for a versatile guy who will excel in a zone blocking scheme.)
#74 - Trade with Minnesota for 2012 2nd Round Pick
#100 - Trade with Bill's for #125/#159/#193/#195 -- Patriots Select Jordan Todman RB- UConn -- (A smart / Fast and elusive back that would be a perfect fit for the Massachusetts native and a steal for the Pats)

SIX GOOD MEN

13 DE JORDAN
32 RT WATKINS
42 OLB REED
51 OC HUDSON
84 OG BOLING
91 S GILCREST

TRADES
17 + 74 for 13
28 + 125 for 42 +73
33 + 192 for 32
60+ 73 + 159 for 51 + 84 + 222
92 + 222 for 91

Sounds fun, especially with the trades.

13 CAMERON JORDAN
45 RYAN WILLIAMS
49 RODNEY HUDSON
60 BRUCE CARTER
76 CLINT BOLING
92 JACQUIZZ RODGERS
125 GREG ROMEUS
159 CLIFF MATTHEWS
193 MARIO HARVEY

Trades:
17 and 74 to Detroit for 13
28 to San Francisco for 45 and 76
33 to Jacksonville for 49 and a 2012 #2

Can't be bothered trying to work out any trades so here it is:

#17) Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB - fits the mold for an OLB in BB's system in terms of size and speed. Also has high character and excels at pass rushing.

#28) Muhammad Wilkerson, DE - I think he's the perfect fit for a DE in the Pats system. Been getting quite a bit of hype recently so realistically may not still be available at #28 (the same is true of Kerrigan at #17).

#33) Mikel LeShoure, RB - OL could be a consideration but the only player within reach without trading is Danny Watkins and I'd be slightly concerned drafting him that high with his age (although I'm sure it has it's benefits, i.e. maturity) plus I have faith in Coach Scarnecchia's ability to put together a quality O Line without a whole load of marquee talent. Normally I'd be against drafting a RB this high but there's something about LeShoure I like (quite possibly that he has never fumbled the ball).

#60) Kenrick Ellis, DL - Adds depth to the D line and has the size to play NT if (god forbid) anything should happen to Wilfork

#74) Stefan Wisniewski, OG/OC - Good O Line prospect who can play guard and learn centre under Koppen. Brandon Burton, CB, is also a possibility here but I think O line is a more pressing need.

#92) Clint Boling, OL - fits in well as an OG and has some versatility to play OT in an emergency situation

#125) Greg Romeus, DE/OLB - Given the difficulty projecting 4-3 DEs as 3-4 OLBs I'd say its worth taking a swing on him this late into the draft. If he doesn't work out then its only cost a low 4th and if he does then you've got a steal.

#159) Owen Marecic, RB - Projected as a FB but I'd like to think he can play RB in the mold of Peyton Hillis. Not sure if RB is a huge priority given that I've already had us draft one and that we moved slightly away from the RBBC approach last year but Marecic has high character and high football intelligence which I think BB will love.

#193) Jah Reid, OT - I expect Matt Light will be back next year but it's worth taking a shot on an OT here who can be a solid backup and potentially develop into a decent player. Like I said before if anyone can develop an O Line from scraps its Coach Scarnecchia

** TRADE #17, 92, 189 to STL for #14 (ahead of MIA at #15) [1099 for 1100]

#14 - DE, JJ WATT

** TRADE #28 to GBY for #32, 129, 163 [660 for 660]

#32 - OG, Danny Watkins

-------- DAY TWO -------------

** TRADE #33, #74 to ARZ for #38, 69, 136 [800 for 803]

#38 - RB, Mikel Leshoure

** TRADE #60 to PHL for #85, 104, 154, 187 [300 for 300]

#69 - OLB, Sam Acho
#85 - DE/DT, Jarvis Jenkins

-------- DAY THREE ------------

** TRADE #104 to SFO for #115, 174 [86 for 87]

#115 - RB Delone Carter

** TRADE #125 to DAL for #176, 179, 219 [47 for 48]

#129 - OLB, Greg Romeus
#136 - OG/OC, John Moffitt
#154 - TE, Julius Thomas
#159 - WR, Austin Pettis
#163 - QB, Greg McElroy
#174 - CB/FS, Richard Sherman
#176 - OC/OG, Brandon Fusco

** TRADE #179 to GBY for #197, 204 [21 for 24]

#187 - OT, Jah Reid
#197 - DE/DT, Brandon Bair
#204 - DE, David Carter
#219 - CB, Justin Rodgers

So, yes, that's 17 new guys. For those of you who believe we don't need that many new guys, have no fear. If this works out like my entry from last year, at least 9 of these guys will be taken by the Eagles anyway. :D

12 for 17 + 74 Patriots draft JJ Watt and the Vikings get back the Randy Moss pick.
28 Patriots trade to AZ for #69 and a 2012 first
33 for 50+82 to the Chargers
50 Leonard Hankerson WR Miami
60 Demarco Murray RB\KR Oklahoma
69 Allen Bailey DE\OLB Miami
82 Jarvis Jenkins DE Clemson
83 92+123 James Carpenter RT Alabama
84 Clint Boiling OG UGA
156 Greg McElroy QB Alabama
184 Jake Kirkpatrick C TCU

1st rounder in 2012 added

New England trades #17 and #92 to Seattle for #25, #57, and #155. Seattle selects Jake Locker.

1(25) - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

New England trades #28 and #155 to San Diego for #50 and #61. It has been in a news that the Patriots were taking #28 to San Diego. Not sure what they want.

New England trades #33 and #193 to Minnesota for #43, #106, and #138. Minnesota selects Andy Dalton.

2(43) - Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona

2(50) - Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech

2(57) - Benjamin Ijalana, G, Villanova

2(60) - James Carpenter, RT, Alabama

2(61) - Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State

3(74) - Stefan Wisniewski, C, Penn State

4(106) - Taiwan Jones, RB, Eastern Washington

4(125) - Sione Fua, DT, Stanford

5(138) - Ronald Johnson, WR, USC

5(159) - Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Can't be bothered trying to work out any trades so here it is:

#17) Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB - fits the mold for an OLB in BB's system in terms of size and speed. Also has high character and excels at pass rushing.

#28) Muhammad Wilkerson, DE - I think he's the perfect fit for a DE in the Pats system. Been getting quite a bit of hype recently so realistically may not still be available at #28 (the same is true of Kerrigan at #17).

#33) Mikel LeShoure, RB - OL could be a consideration but the only player within reach without trading is Danny Watkins and I'd be slightly concerned drafting him that high with his age (although I'm sure it has it's benefits, i.e. maturity) plus I have faith in Coach Scarnecchia's ability to put together a quality O Line without a whole load of marquee talent. Normally I'd be against drafting a RB this high but there's something about LeShoure I like (quite possibly that he has never fumbled the ball).

#60) Kenrick Ellis, DL - Adds depth to the D line and has the size to play NT if (god forbid) anything should happen to Wilfork

#74) Stefan Wisniewski, OG/OC - Good O Line prospect who can play guard and learn centre under Koppen. Brandon Burton, CB, is also a possibility here but I think O line is a more pressing need.

#92) Clint Boling, OL - fits in well as an OG and has some versatility to play OT in an emergency situation

#125) Greg Romeus, DE/OLB - Given the difficulty projecting 4-3 DEs as 3-4 OLBs I'd say its worth taking a swing on him this late into the draft. If he doesn't work out then its only cost a low 4th and if he does then you've got a steal.

#159) Owen Marecic, RB - Projected as a FB but I'd like to think he can play RB in the mold of Peyton Hillis. Not sure if RB is a huge priority given that I've already had us draft one and that we moved slightly away from the RBBC approach last year but Marecic has high character and high football intelligence which I think BB will love.

#193) Jah Reid, OT - I expect Matt Light will be back next year but it's worth taking a shot on an OT here who can be a solid backup and potentially develop into a decent player. Like I said before if anyone can develop an O Line from scraps its Coach Scarnecchia

Nice job, 159 is the only question

Mock Draft with no trades-

17. Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
28. Danny Watkins OG Baylor
33. Jabaal Sheard DE/OLB Pitt
60. Curtis Brown CB Texas
74. Shane Vereen RB Cal
92. Virgil Green TE Nevada
125. Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU
159. Brandon Fusco OC Slippery Rock
193. Chris Neild NT W Virginia

Mock Draft with Trades:

17. TRADE ALERT- Philadelphia, per rumor, is strong after Costanzo. Eagles have 10 picks this year. Eagles trade their #23, #85, and a 2012 #4

23. Nate Solder OT Colorado- He might be the most physically talented O lineman in draft. Former TE. Has a bit of a nasty streak that I like in my linemen. Off to the DS school for young men...

28. Muhammed Wilkerson DT/DE Temple- Unfinished product, but has the capacity to move along the line for different D settings.

33. TRADE ALERT- Arizona wants to jump the queue for those teams seeking QBs. AZ trades pick #38, #136, and a 2012 #5. AZ picks QB of choice...

38.(from AZ) Justin Houston OLB Georgia- Loads of talent. He will be designated pass rusher the first few years a la Bruschi/ McGinnest/ TBC as he learns the Pats LB system.

60. Curtis Brown CB Texas- Great all around athlete who has really turned into a solid CB in the past year, and a half. Great cones/ shuttle. 4.53 40 was a disappointment at combine, but he has run consistently in the 4.4's since he arrived in Austin.

74. Clint Boling OB Georgia- Bulldog is the right mascot. Tenacious. Might but be limited athletically compared to linemen that will be drafted in front of him, but he is a plug & play, max effort player.

85. (from Eagles) Shane Vereen RB California- Board Favorite. There will actually be several backs that fall in this range, each with their own skill sets... I'll let BB choose.

92. Terrell McClain DT/DE South Florida- 5-technique DT in college. He will be used along the line similar to Wilkerson. Not explosive, but plays w/ a solid base. Great value here.

99. TRADE ALERT- BB seeing good value available trade pick #108, and #193 to Seattle who is reportedly seeking picks- Virgil Green TE Nevada- A BB draft with out a TE? Green is my personal favorite this year.

125. Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU- Great value pick here. Good size, perhaps not as explsive as you always want. Good nose for the ball.

136. Pat Devlin QB Delaware- Suffers in comparison to Flacco, who preceded him @ Delaware. Solid skills with upside. A good developmental QB.

159. Brandon Fusco OC/OG Slippery Rock- Well analysed on this board. I must say that I have never seen Slippery Rock play... Didn't back down to anyone @ Senior Bowl/ Combine. All the right measurables. Developmental prospect.

Key UDFAs-

Alex Linnenkohl C Oregon St
Ryan Batholemew C Syracuse
Butch Lewis G USC
Maurice Hurt G Florida
Daniel Kilgore G Appallachian St
Richard Lapham T BC
DJ Young T Michigan St
Mike McNeil TE Nebraska
Colin Franklin TE Iowa St.
Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin
TJ Yates QB North Carolina
Kealoha Pilares WR Hawaii
Mario Fanin RB Auburn
Brandon Saine RB Ohio St

Colby Whitlock DT Texas Tech
Anthony Gray DT So. Mississippi
Karl Klug DE Iowa
Bruce Miller DE Cent. Florida
Greg Lloyd ILB UConn
Ryan Hill CN Miami
Kendric Burney CB No Carolina
Chris Prosinski FS Wyoming
Will Hill FS Florida
DeJon Gomes SS Nebraska

2012 Draft-
Eagles #4
San Francisco #5

That is it.

Last edited:
So, yes, that's 17 new guys. For those of you who believe we don't need that many new guys, have no fear. If this works out like my entry from last year, at least 9 of these guys will be taken by the Eagles anyway. :D

Jeez Maine guy, how many players do you anticipate the new collective bargaining agreement will allow us to bring to camp?

17.A. Smith
28.Wilkerson
33Watkins
60Acho
74Gates
92 Jacquizz
125 Buster Skrine
159 Herzlich
193 Conner Barwin

17.A. Smith
28.Wilkerson
33Watkins
60Acho
74Gates
92 Jacquizz
125 Buster Skrine
159 Herzlich
193 Conner Barwin

That was 2 years ago... Step away from the ledge.
It gave me a good laugh. Thanks, I have felt that way myself (got to protect our binkies)

#23 - OT Nate Solder (#17 +#92 to Chicago for #23 + #55)
#28 - DL Muhammad Wilkerson
#32 - OG Danny Watkins (trade up from #55 + #74 + trash picks)
#33 - RB Mikel Leshoure
#60 - OLB Sam Acho

Jeez Maine guy, how many players do you anticipate the new collective bargaining agreement will allow us to bring to camp?
Let's see, 80 is the limit, there's 67 currently on the roster, leaving room for 13 more. None of Maine's 17 draftees are signed so they won't count until the ink has dried, neither does Mankins or Green Ellis until they sign their tenders, which leaves room for NE to re-sign Light and any other UFA they want to retain.

Completely off topic for the thread, but following the direction of SamBam's post; the Patriots.com unofficial roster maintained by the PFW staff shows two of the Navy kids, Eric Kettani and Shun White, now have uniform numbers by their names. This is probably grounds for Goodell to take away another first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST