PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AP All-Pro Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRONK still got a vote for TE. :eek:

I was wondering which homer voted for Gronk. He was having a historic year for a tight end with his average per catch but his season ended too soon.

Last edited:
I was wondering which homer voted for Gronk. He was having a historic year for a tight end with his average per catch but this season ended too soon.
The more I look at this All-Pro team the less I can take it serious. Honestly, I think PFF of all people did a better job at it.

1) As I said, voting Von Miller as LB and not Edge was ridiculous
2) Vic Beasley as 1st Team a classical case of just looking at stats. He wasn't 1st Team All-Pro good. His pressure rate was way below players like Khalil Mack or Von Miller and looking at his sack total, he got 10.5 sacks in four games. In seven games he went sack-less. A player who was basically a non-factor in half of the gamees is not 1st Team All-Pro.
3) Last year people voted Marcus Peters into the Pro Bowl because of his gaudy INT total. This year they made him 1st Team All-Pro for the same reason.
4) Slater as 1st Team All-Pro is purely because of name recognition. They probably got no idea who they should vote for and just put in Slater.
5) The way the 2nd Team is bloated (10 2nd Team LBs, 4 2nd Team EDGE) show a need to make a specific voting for 2nd Team instead of just putting in people by how many 1st Team votes they got.

4) Slater as 1st Team All-Pro is purely because of name recognition. They probably got no idea who they should vote for and just put in Slater.

I agree with the name recognition. But we should remember Slater gets doubled and sometimes triple teamed. I remember one time watching Belichick breakdown highlighting a good kickoff coverage, pinning the team inside the 20, and I noticed one guy not running back with his team and just waited and went right at Slater to try to slow him down.

But you are right, they probably have no idea who to vote for.

Congrats to Matt Ryan. Tom's the GOAT but I've got no problem with Matt getting it this year. He earned it. Brady will have to console himself with his 5th ring and 4th SBMVP.

So I guess this pretty cements the MVP for Ryan.

Yeah - I know it's all semantics (MVP, 1st Team All Pro - LET'S ARGUE!!!!) - but I've always seen the 1st Team All Pro as the team you'd assemble to play in 1 game against non-Earth dwellers for the fate of mankind. By that measure, I don't think Ryan's the pick at all. I agree with @Tony2046 - Brady could probably lead the 2nd Team over the 1st. If you swap Brady and Ryan, does that remain true?

MVP? Sure - Ryan deserves that for his very productive stats, not being suspended arbitrarily for 4 games at the start of the season, turning the franchise around from 8-8 last year, being irreplaceable on the Falcons (e.g., how bad they'd be if he were on IR), etc.

Agreed. Also glad to see Malcom Butler get recognition for his play....amazing journey from an undrafted rookie to a elite CB in-the-making

Great to have Butler. He's a franchise hero and has shown himself as anything but a flash in the pan with just 1 famous Super Bowl play. Hopefully the team can keep him around because stuff like All-Pro nominations will make the numbers go up and up.

I could add [Blount, at least], but seems pretty presentative, especially recognition of Cannon. Who votes? I'm lazy, but if you want to educate me.

I'm actually happy that no Patriot made the first team offense or defense. Let the mediots have to explain how the best team in the league has none of the best players in the league, without having to show us how that is the nature of the game, and goes against everything they've been telling us for years.

Giants defense is intriguing because they have 5 guys who made all-pro (Collins Jenkins DRC Vernon Harrison) and I cant really say none of them deserved it.

Biggest snub was Xavier Rhodes, and Trent Williams got slighted as well.

I was calling for cannon to be cut before the season started he has been great. IMO Hightower and clowney just don't have the stats and should not have been on the list

The more I look at this All-Pro team the less I can take it serious. Honestly, I think PFF of all people did a better job at it.
5) The way the 2nd Team is bloated (10 2nd Team LBs, 4 2nd Team EDGE) show a need to make a specific voting for 2nd Team instead of just putting in people by how many 1st Team votes they got.

That has to do with the way the voting works. You only get as many votes as there are slots available (e.g., there's one vote at QB, but two at WR). And everyone tied gets in (e.g., in this case, the First Teamers got 40+ votes each, Lorenzo Alexander got 4, Luke Kuechly got 2, and then everyone else got 1).

I think the solution is, as you said, to add Second Team slots. Then make the First Team slots worth 2 points and Second Team slots worth 1 point each.

I'm actually happy that no Patriot made the first team offense or defense. Let the mediots have to explain how the best team in the league has none of the best players in the league, without having to show us how that is the nature of the game, and goes against everything they've been telling us for years.
Poster board material.

Keep it coming.

What's the point of changing the position to edge to account for the difference between 3-4 OLBs playing on the line and 4-3 LBs playing off when those mediots ignore it?:rolleyes:

What's the point of "Edge" to start with? It is a means to give glory to pass rushers who are too limited or too lazy or too selfish to round out their game with run support and the ability to move inside when the team needs them to.

Everything is being insidiously changed towards fantasy football, instant gratification, 15 seconds of fame.

What's the point of "Edge" to start with? It is a means to give glory to pass rushers who are too limited or too lazy or too selfish to round out their game with run support and the ability to move inside when the team needs them to.

Everything is being insidiously changed towards fantasy football, instant gratification, 15 seconds of fame.
The point of EDGE is to group 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs playing on the line together instead of having 3-4 OLB pass rushers take away spots from true off-the-line LBs. It's not, as you think, to give glory to pass rushers. On the contrary, this move was supposed to do the opposite. Under the old system where they voted for two OLBs and two DEs you ended up with four pass rushers because the voters were slanted towards voting for those gaudy pass rushing 3-4 OLBs while sending in 4-3 OLBs to battle it out with the ILBs.

Only the idiotic voters completely ignored the concept by voting in Von Miller as LB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick