PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone know the formula for comp picks that arent tagged

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris66

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Having a discussion with some friwends and they are stating that the merriman signing is good because if the bills lose him to fa. They would get a high comp pick.

I stated that because he was picked up off waivers for 1.8. That even if he signs a blockbuster deal. The comp pick wouldnt be that high because the initial investment isnt there.

Having a discussion with some friwends and they are stating that the merriman signing is good because if the bills lose him to fa. They would get a high comp pick.

I stated that because he was picked up off waivers for 1.8. That even if he signs a blockbuster deal. The comp pick wouldnt be that high because the initial investment isnt there.

It is one of the great mysteries of life. The teams don't even know how they are calculated. Only the league. Like the formula for coke or KFC's 7 herbs and spices...it is locked in secret bunker.

It is one of the great mysteries of life. The teams don't even know how they are calculated. Only the league. Like the formula for coke or KFC's 7 herbs and spices...it is locked in secret bunker.

Or how Wade Phillips got hired as an NFL head coach. Nobody knows.

AdamJT13: Projecting the 2010 Compensatory NFL Draft Picks This is a link to a blog by AdamJT13, who has some info on the comp picks. No one outside of the NFL really knows, but he's done amazingly well in predicting them based on salaries and other factors.

It seems that the formula is majorly based on the salary that a free agent signs for with another team. In that regard, it shouldn't matter that Buffalo gave up nothing to get Merriman. They should get something assuming Merriman gets a decent contract and the Bills don't sign a bigger-name free agent to offset him. But remember that it's about balance too. The Bills would only get a comp pick if they weren't signing someone else to a bigger contract to offset Merriman's loss. They're meant to balance out teams that lose more free agents than gain.

Or how Wade Phillips got hired as an NFL head coach. Nobody knows.

AdamJT13: Projecting the 2010 Compensatory NFL Draft Picks This is a link to a blog by AdamJT13, who has some info on the comp picks. No one outside of the NFL really knows, but he's done amazingly well in predicting them based on salaries and other factors.

It seems that the formula is majorly based on the salary that a free agent signs for with another team. In that regard, it shouldn't matter that Buffalo gave up nothing to get Merriman. They should get something assuming Merriman gets a decent contract and the Bills don't sign a bigger-name free agent to offset him. But remember that it's about balance too. The Bills would only get a comp pick if they weren't signing someone else to a bigger contract to offset Merriman's loss. They're meant to balance out teams that lose more free agents than gain.

It doesn't quite work that way.

The first question is number of "qualifying" free agents signed versus number lost. If Merriman were the only FA they lost, and they signed one qualifying FA, they get at best one seventh-round pick, even if Merriman signed a $10M/yr contract and the new FA got $1M/yr. If you lose more than you gain, they cancel out one loss for each gain, and try to do it as fairly as possible. [For example, if you lose players who sign $6M, $4M, and $2M, and sign a player for $3.5M, the new player cancels out the $4M player.]

Secondly, it's not clear to me if Merriman would actually count as a FA loss, since he was acquired very late in the season. I'm not saying he doesn't, merely that I don't know.

Last edited:
It doesn't quite work that way.

The first question is number of "qualifying" free agents signed versus number lost. If Merriman were the only FA they lost, and they signed one qualifying FA, they get at best one seventh-round pick, even if Merriman signed a $10M/yr contract and the new FA got $1M/yr.

Secondly, it's not clear to me if Merriman would actually count as a FA loss, since he was acquired very late in the season. I'm not saying he doesn't, merely that I don't know.

Yeah, quantity counts too, forgot to mention that. Just didn't want to quote 5,000 words from that blog :rofl:

I'm not certain either, just assuming he would but I'd be curious what that AdamJT13 guy thought, as he seems to be the guru on this.

What Merriman is making now is of zero relevance to the compensatory formula.

It will depend on what he signs for (elsewhere) next year.

How you got a player is 100% irrelevant. It only matters whether he is on your roster at the end of the season and that you did not cut him (his contract expired).

And as has been already said, what he makes this year is also irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News