Votes: 18 19.8%
  • No, we can spend out money/assets better elsewhere

Votes: 73 80.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
These two truths should be self evident:

1) Pittsburgh would never EVER trade Antonio Brown to the Patriots.
2) If, by some miracle they did, or if he were to be released, the Patriots F.O. would almost certainly and HAPPILY sign him. His deal isn't crazy, esp for the team acquiring him, it's market value, slightly under, and he's a top five weapon on the league.

it'd be a miracle if they sign a player who is live broadcasting his coach in the locker room as said coach is telling the team to STAY OFF SOCIAL MEDIA? yeah...I agree ..that would be a miracle.

Pittsburgh is not trading him to NE...why?...here's a big shocker...they RELEASED HIM. So much for THAT putrid L.A. Law pilot script.

Now...the "his deal isn't crazy" and the conclusion that the Patriots F.O. would "happily" sign him....

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

Antonio Brown's extension is 4 years, $68 million, source confirmed (as others said). $17M new money average soars past AJ Green's $15M avg.

BB the GM is going to "happily" sign a 31 year old WR to a SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR contract? I know you work on TV scripts ,Conquer but I didn't know you branched off into SCIENCE FICTION.

Pittsburgh is not trading him to NE...why?...here's a big shocker...they RELEASED HIM.
What do you mean, Joker? Pittsburgh would never release him because they can get a semi-decent draft pick, but if they somehow did, his current contract would be torn up as he’d instantly be a free agent. They’re looking for a trade.

BB the GM is going to "happily" sign a 31 year old WR to a SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR contract?
His base salaries are 12.6 and 11.3 million over the next two years, with a 12.5m dollar hit for the third year.

Although this hypothetical scenario is nothing more than a time passing exercise for various reasons, he’s actually quite affordable for a player anywhere near his capacity, let alone a top 5 talent in the league.

it'd be a miracle if they sign a player who is live broadcasting his coach in the locker room as said coach is telling the team to STAY OFF SOCIAL MEDIA? yeah...I agree ..that would be a miracle.

Pittsburgh is not trading him to NE...why?...here's a big shocker...they RELEASED HIM. So much for THAT putrid L.A. Law pilot script.

Now...the "his deal isn't crazy" and the conclusion that the Patriots F.O. would "happily" sign him....

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

Antonio Brown's extension is 4 years, $68 million, source confirmed (as others said). $17M new money average soars past AJ Green's $15M avg.

BB the GM is going to "happily" sign a 31 year old WR to a SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR contract? I know you work on TV scripts ,Conquer but I didn't know you branched off into SCIENCE FICTION.

I’d bet any amount of money this guy is not being a patriot. I’ll get a loan if I have to cover over what I’ve got.

The dudes an idiot that should go hang out with ray Lewis for a while

I’d bet any amount of money this guy is not being a patriot. I’ll get a loan if I have to cover over what I’ve got.

In order for him to become a Patriot, you’d obviously need both sides who would want to make that happen. Right now, there’s probably a pretty decent chance that we’d have neither side.

That said, Brown is an absolute beast on the gridiron and would make the on-field product very difficult to stop for the opposition. He could transform this offense in different ways. He’s one of the best wide receivers in the entire league, without a doubt, and we’ve seen Belichick humble some other “big” characters, even if it’s only for a year or two.

What do you mean, Joker? Pittsburgh would never release him because they can get a semi-decent draft pick, but if they somehow did, his current contract would be torn up as he’d instantly be a free agent. They’re looking for a trade.

His base salaries are 12.6 and 11.3 million over the next two years, with a 12.5m dollar hit for the third year.

Although this hypothetical scenario is nothing more than a time passing exercise for various reasons, he’s actually quite affordable for a player anywhere near his capacity, let alone a top 5 talent in the league.

Pittsburgh trades Brown they incur a TWENTY ONE MILLION DOLLAR CAP HIT
Steelers not planning to release WR Antonio Brown
The Steelers face a $21 million cap hit if they trade Brown this offseason. The move could exhaust between eight and 10% of Pittsburgh's available cap space. However, the team can't do anything until March 13, which is the first official day of the 2019 NFL season.

I missed the part where the Steelers paid him a 19 million dollar bonus up front in 2017 and then redid the contract in 2018. That being said, 12.6 million dollars a season for a 31 year old WR is pretty steep by any metric and is UNHEARD OF for a WR playing for the Patriots. Again, let me spell that out...U-N-H-E-A-R-D O-F. You actually believe Bill Belichick is going to0 devote nearly one tenth of the Pats cap to a WR?? Like he has ever done something like this here the past 19 years?

You say Pitt would "never release him"? Odd. Read THIS paragraph from Steel Curtain about a June 1st release..

Release with the June 1 designation
If Pittsburgh could find no suitors this route would be the most palatable. The organization would still have to absorb the $21.12 million prorated signing bonus but the team could spread it out over two seasons. This does not happen evenly. The 2019 roster bonus would count against the cap but the remaining $14.08 would not be counted until 2020. The team could make the move before the roster bonus is due. The catch here is that the cap relief would not be given to the team until after June 1, 2019. Brown’s cap number for 2019 is $22,165,000 and Pittsburgh would only be on the hook for $7.04 million which means the Steelers would have an additional $15.125 million in cap space as long as the move was done before the roster bonus kicked in.

Salary cap implications for the Steelers if they move forward without Antonio Brown

so yeah, Pitt is going to TRY to sucker some moronic NFL team to take Brown off their hands after March 13th but....
The entire $21.12 million prorated signing bonus would immediately come due at the time of the trade in 2019. Pittsburgh would save just over $1 million on Brown’s cap number but would leave behind. The trade would need to be executed before the fifth day of the new league year to avoid the $2.5 million roster bonus. If they executed the trade after the fifth day of the league year the Steelers then would be underwater on cap savings.

To be absolutely clear, though....Brown is a pipe dream with that pipe filled with hash.

The Steelers face a $21 million cap hit if they trade Brown this offseason. The move could exhaust between eight and 10% of Pittsburgh's available cap space. However, the team can't do anything until March 13, which is the first official day of the 2019 NFL season.

I missed the part where the Steelers paid him a 19 million dollar bonus up front in 2017 and then redid the contract in 2018. That being said, 12.6 million dollars a season for a 31 year old WR is pretty steep by any metric and is UNHEARD OF for a WR playing for the Patriots. Again, let me spell that out...U-N-H-E-A-R-D O-F. You actually believe Bill Belichick is going to0 devote nearly one tenth of the Pats cap to a WR?? Like he has ever done something like this here the past 19 years?

You say Pitt would "never release him"? Odd. Read THIS paragraph from Steel Curtain about a June 1st release..

If Pittsburgh could find no suitors this route would be the most palatable. The organization would still have to absorb the $21.12 million prorated signing bonus but the team could spread it out over two seasons. This does not happen evenly. The 2019 roster bonus would count against the cap but the remaining $14.08 would not be counted until 2020. The team could make the move before the roster bonus is due. The catch here is that the cap relief would not be given to the team until after June 1, 2019. Brown’s cap number for 2019 is $22,165,000 and Pittsburgh would only be on the hook for $7.04 million which means the Steelers would have an additional $15.125 million in cap space as long as the move was done before the roster bonus kicked in.

Salary cap implications for the Steelers if they move forward without Antonio Brown

so yeah, Pitt is going to TRY to sucker some moronic NFL team to take Brown off their hands after March 13th but....
The entire $21.12 million prorated signing bonus would immediately come due at the time of the trade in 2019. Pittsburgh would save just over $1 million on Brown’s cap number but would leave behind. The trade would need to be executed before the fifth day of the new league year to avoid the $2.5 million roster bonus. If they executed the trade after the fifth day of the league year the Steelers then would be underwater on cap savings.

To be absolutely clear, though....Brown is a pipe dream with that pipe filled with hash.
I agree with you that it would be surprising if there were any serious discussions about him coming here from actual, real sources.

I do think that there’s a way for them to split the dead cap hit with a trade too, though. I’m pretty sure there’s a way they can split it almost 50/50 between this year and the next. At any rate, even if they take the hit all at once, it’s 21m, so they actually come out ahead because they’d save 22m against the cap, so there shouldn’t be anything preventing them from moving on. It’s hard to envision a scenario where a handful of teams aren’t offering up some 2nd or 3rd round picks to take on that deal.

At any rate, he’s probably not coming here, so at this point I kind of hope that they either trade him to the NFC or at least to a crappy AFC team where he won’t make as much of a difference for them.

Non starter, they aren't going to trade him to anyone in the AFC especially if the compensation is a mid round pick.

Non starter, they aren't going to trade him to anyone in the AFC especially if the compensation is a mid round pick.

I don't think they're going to move him at all. The $13 million number for the receiving team isn't crazy by any means, but considering his meltdown last year - I think teams will steer clear until he's released, and then take their chances on a cheaper offer. He turns 31 this year. It's unusual for WRs, even good ones, to last much longer than that.

I don't think they're going to move him at all. The $13 million number for the receiving team isn't crazy by any means, but considering his meltdown last year - I think teams will steer clear until he's released, and then take their chances on a cheaper offer. He turns 31 this year. It's unusual for WRs, even good ones, to last much longer than that.
Just don’t see how they don’t maximize their situation knowing that there are likely 10+ teams right now that would give up at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick, especially on a reasonable 3 year deal.

It would be very stupid of them to release him for absolutely nothing. Someone is going to want one of the better WRs in the game, even if he’s a diva. Just my take. I could be wrong.

You can release 2 players per year with a Post-June 1 designation. You cannot trade someone with a Post-June 1 designation. You have to trade them after June 1 to get that cap relief. So no trading for draft picks unless they want to take a huge cap hit.

I am not against getting Brown if we can work the numbers out...some who are saying no to Brown are the same one's who thought BB wouldn't tough Gordon with a ten foot pole.:rolleyes: Ask BB if he would like to have a perennial 1300yds 10 TD guy on average. Antonio Brown is a sure Hofer him and Edelman would be criminal.:cool:

IF Pitts on the hook for the most of his remaining Salary I would offer a Second. The Steelers wouldn't be afraid to Trade him here they are the Best at Drafting that particular position. Also Brown and Brady have a lot in common they are both Diva's who were taken in the 6th Round.:D

Excellent post, Son of @Miguel . The Steelers created this two-headed monster of LeVeon Bell and Antonio Brown with absurd contracts and over-reliance on two skill players. They have headaches in the locker room and no depth which is why they missed the playoffs.

Watch what happens to the LA Rams the next two offseasons. They signed a bunch of expensive free agents while getting by on Jared Goff's and Todd Gurley's rookie contracts. Goff has one more year on his rookie deal at $8.9 million. Gurley is onto a $14.2M year in 2019. The Gurley situation has to be especially worrisome. Is he hurt? He's untradeable at his 2019 base and carries a $10M cap hit if cut.

The notion of signing a guy like Antonio Brown takes you down the same path that the Broncos are on - out of the playoffs, casting about for a QB, stuck in a brutal division with experienced head coaches. They went all-in to get Manning and surround his noodle arm with a team to win a Super Bowl. It might be years before the Broncos re-surface as a threat.

I'll take the disciplined Patriots approach any day.

Exactly. See: Dez Bryant. He just signed a one-year deal at $1.25 million with a base of $588k and the rest in bonuses. These prima donna overpaid WRs over 30 lose sight of the fact that they are expendable.

There are ten big fast kids in the draft every year looking for a shot at the brass ring. What's not clear is who is going to be able to do the job and stay healthy. I like the Patriots picking up guys off their rookie deals at manageable numbers who have shown they can run routes against NFL competition.

You can release 2 players per year with a Post-June 1 designation. You cannot trade someone with a Post-June 1 designation. You have to trade them after June 1 to get that cap relief. So no trading for draft picks unless they want to take a huge cap hit.

They're taking a huge cap hit regardless. The only difference is that after June 1 that hit can be amortized over two years. The only way the Steelers limit their cap hit is to trade him before March 17 when his roster bonus is due.

These two truths should be self evident:

1) Pittsburgh would never EVER trade Antonio Brown to the Patriots.
2) If, by some miracle they did, or if he were to be released, the Patriots F.O. would almost certainly and HAPPILY sign him. His deal isn't crazy, esp for the team acquiring him, it's market value, slightly under, and he's a top five weapon on the league.

The coach who sat Malcolm Butler during a SB is going to sign AB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST