PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Excellent Sunday Football Notes column from Bedard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I misunderstood. Did you not say Dillon pouted about sharing carries with Maroney?

More precisely, I clearly implied that.

You seem to be under the impression that it didn't happen.

There was a lot of people saying that Dillon was a pain in the arse and complained a lot his last few years here. Nothing concrete, but he was definitely surely with the media.

I'm trying to remember what the game-day incident was that opened our eyes to it. Something on the level of a thrown helmet. Nothing worse than what happens w/ Brady on the sidelines at times, but in Dillon's case it led to more reporting about his attitude.

Anyhow, Lloyd needs to accept three things to make it on the Patriots:

• Josh McDaniels isn't his only boss; Brady has tremendous influence.
  • Josh McDaniels isn't his only boss; it's Belichick's team, so there are limits to the kinds of behavior one can get away with.
  • Playing great won't get him as many touches as on other teams; there will be three other outstanding receivers on the field with him on most downs, plus a fourth good one when Woodhead is in the game.

:rolleyes:
My opinion since January is the Pats should go after Lloyd, with the return of McDaniels.

Since then it's be an avalanche of misnomer, lousy speculation and outright lies vomited up here and aimed at Lloyd on a daily basis.

Now he's bi-polar....go ahead, thrash and whack away with impunity...maybe one of you "experts" can bring a red white and blue strait jacket to market and get rich if the Pats bring him aboard.

Think we have a new member of the bipolar club here. Yikes!!!
Sorry you're so sensitve about Brandon Lloyd (??) but any time you have a talented player traveling as much as this guy has there are obviously some "issues".

My opinion since January is the Pats should go after Lloyd, with the return of McDaniels.

Since then it's be an avalanche of misnomer, lousy speculation and outright lies vomited up here and aimed at Lloyd on a daily basis.

Now he's bi-polar....go ahead, thrash and whack away with impunity...maybe one of you "experts" can bring a red white and blue strait jacket to market and get rich if the Pats bring him aboard.

What are you upset about?

It's just bringing down his negotiating value and easing it for the Pats cap.

The only 3 people who are upset about this are you, Tom Condon and Chris Mortenson.

When Mort got upset and asked Lloyd, 'why are you tipping your hand - - you're losing money doing that, don't you want to take care of your family', Lloyd replied 'My family is already taken care of.'

Don't lose sleep over this - - Lloyd isn't.

Last edited:
you got me, Shmess...I AM Chris Mortenson....
fing20.gif

When Mort got upset and asked Lloyd, 'why are you tipping your hand - - you're losing money doing that, don't you want to take care of the Jets', ...

Fixed it for you. :)

Seriously, nice job by Bedard bringing up the subject in a fair manner. The gap between Lloyd's talent, the slow start to his career, and teams' reluctance to take him on makes more sense now. I do buy into the value of the relationship with Josh, and the strength of the Pats in general to handle someone like this.

I was a little surprised to see the (qualified) comparison to Haynesworth. Even without the "except for the quitting" qualifier, that raised my eyebrows.

Bottom line is, do you make Lloyd your ONE added FA receiver this off-season? Are you confident enough in which Lloyd you'll get? I guess you just weigh the risk of his personality issues and fit for the team that way, vs. the risk you take that receivers like Wallace or VJax might not grasp the system the same way.

I think the fallacy most people are making with Lloyd is that he's coming in to be our "deep threat". If signed, I think it would be better to think that he'd be taking over the Deion Branch role in the offense. He doesn't and never has had "deep speed". His "deep skill" is the ability to catch the ball even when covered.

Give him Deion's looks and catches, and I think he'd be an upgrade because he can do more things. However it still remains to be seen about adding that "speed guy" who threatens a defense and opens up the underside.

Options -

1.Braylon Edwards would be a cheap fix....and really piss of Jet fans. Big, physical, AND fast.....plus cheap
2.Draft Steven Hill at 31 and give him the time to develop and with Lloyd you could afford to take your time. In the mean time you could put him out there and have him run non-read routes and he'd be a real threat.
3. Ocho - give him a shot to compete for the job.

I think the fallacy most people are making with Lloyd is that he's coming in to be our "deep threat". If signed, I think it would be better to think that he'd be taking over the Deion Branch role in the offense. He doesn't and never has had "deep speed". His "deep skill" is the ability to catch the ball even when covered.

Give him Deion's looks and catches, and I think he'd be an upgrade because he can do more things. However it still remains to be seen about adding that "speed guy" who threatens a defense and opens up the underside.

Options -

1.Braylon Edwards would be a cheap fix....and really piss of Jet fans. Big, physical, AND fast.....plus cheap
2.Draft Steven Hill at 31 and give him the time to develop and with Lloyd you could afford to take your time. In the mean time you could put him out there and have him run non-read routes and he'd be a real threat.

Lloyd's game is not Branch's game.

Options -

Edwards is cheap for a reason. Even the JETS don't want him back, and they have his whisperer locked up for another two seasons...

Hill is fast, but as we have discovered on several occasions in the past you can't necessarily coach speed... We don't run non read routes, that only threatens the system and the liklihood of the other 10 guys on the field with you succeeding.

Ocho is no longer physical or fast, just apparently finally cheap. Unless you factor in the ultimate value of a roster spot.

More precisely, I clearly implied that.

You seem to be under the impression that it didn't happen.
Yes, because, well, it didn't.

All this focus on the negative aspects of Lloyd's amateur assessment as bi polar just got me to thinking. Few WR's worth their salt aren't. WR and CB have love been diva positions by nature, takes balls to believe you can do what they expect you to do.

Randy was bi polar. His defenders consistently blamed that on circumstance. Well, Lloyd got drafted by the Alex Smith, pre Harbaugh 49'ers, traded to the Joe Gibbs QB'less Redskins experiment and then spent a season on IR missing the opportunity to perform with the Kyle Orton pre McDaniels post Rex Grossman Chicago Bears. I'd be bi polar, too. Disappointment like losing generally exacerbates it. Bet if you asked someone who lived with him about Christian Fauria's attitude during and after his stindt here they might have a scathing assessment of him despite the perpetually smiling public face.

I think Lloyd has the potential to be Randy without the freakish in his prime talent we only saw for about 12 weeks once anyway, but also without the cache that made it difficult to manage that talent particularly once the whisperer moved out to Denver and was replaced by the old school non titled coordinator. And with more versatility than to be a deep threat or decoy threat. And at a lot lower cap cost. And of course given the whisperer is back. Which takes a lot of pressure off the QB to personally manage potentially bi polar egos.

Options -

You left out that he sucks, and that's the most important part.

thats whats so amazing about the pats. they are rebuilt except for 7 players including the kicker and they haven't missed a beat. truly amazing:D

Exactly. The Pats go to the Superbowl while they rebuild (or are still in the process)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News