PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anderson in Buffalo visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense to Anderson but my guess is this :

Approximate snap counts from Reiss before Carter got hurt. I think Week One is missing. Even picking up in the latter half here he was a half time player. For the year he played on 47.6% of the snaps which would have been lower had Carter not gotten hurt. That was 10th on the defense.

I like Anderson but I'm guessing Belichick expects to get Carter back and he doesn't want to overpay for a half time player.
Anderson shouldn't really be a halftime player though. He was more solid against the run than expected and he's a much better pass rusher than Ninkovich.

Anderson shouldn't really be a halftime player though. He was more solid against the run than expected and he's a much better pass rusher than Ninkovich.
You can take that up with Belichick; the point is that last year that's how many snaps he gave Anderson (prior to Carter being hurt) and that's how many he's willing to pay for.

You'd think having two guys capable of double digit sacks would be huge, but I suppose not. At least not in Houston....

Or, for that matter, in 2011 New England.

My personal opinoin is that the Pats see Anderson as a sub package rusher, and will pay him that way. I think they also are not going crazy over a 10 sack season and acting as if it will happen every year. (See Banta-Cain, Tully).
I think Anderson, and/or his agent are chasing a paycheck that is comensurate with last years sack statistic.
I think he is visiting so many teams because he hasn't found any yet that agree with his side of that argument more than the Patriots side.
I am beginning to think it may be more likely he comes back, because he is saying he would like to stay, and I think the 'tour' is doing no more than telling him the Patriots idea of his value is much closer to the market than what he thinks it is.
I was thinking exactly the same thing, Andy. He's had a lot of visits and hasn't landed anywhere. I think the Pats made him a low enough offer that it just made sense for him to go out and see what's out there, and hopefully give the Pats a chance to match.

I think that he hasn't liked the offers he's gotten thus far, so, I'm guessing the Pats original offer hasn't been far off. But here is where I differ from you, AJ. I think its too easy to label Anderson now as simply a "situational; pass rusher". After Carter went down, Anderson had a lot more responsibility thrown on his plate. He became the OLB in some 3-4 sets. He played the run better than most expected of him, and he was one of the top 5 pass rushers in the playoffs.....when it counted.

So I say, if he manages to get out of Buffalo without a contract. I'd like to see the Pats get back in touch with him. Find out if he still would like to come back. And if the answer is yes, up the original offer by 10-.15% and get this done. He has shown he has an instinct to play 3-4, and it helps that we are playing 4-3 more often than back a few years ago.

Getting Anderson back would go a long way toward solidifying what has the chance to beomce a pretty good defense. And that's not an exaggeration. With all the flaws, etc, in the playoffs there were 12 very good teams represented. As far as defenses go, our woe-begotten 11 as ranked #5 in scoring D,, total D, even passing D (amazing) and came in tied for first in sacks (in one less game).

My point is that the defense isn't that far away.Gregory and Fanene are a start. Scott is a hope. Dowling, Barrett, and Pryor, will all help. Taking a step back and losing Carter and Anderson makes no sense. Its taken almost a decade to acquire 2 competent outside pass rushers at the same time. I don't think it would be wise to dismantle it now.....especially for what is relatively short money, He made $1.3MM last season. The $3-4MM/yr for 3 range seems fair...and doable. If it takes more than that, THEN move on.

If the Patriots literally haven't "reached out" to Anderson's side, that's stupid.

If they merely haven't made an offer he'll accept, that's business.

Phase 1. acquire defensive player who makes an impact
Phase 2. Let him leave
Phase 3. ????
Phase 4. Be regarded as a defensive mastermind

Maybe it would be easier to list the teams he hasn't visited yet. Either he's trying to scare the Pats into a better offer, has unrealistic expectations and no one is giving him what he wants, or he likes to travel in his spare time.

I'm hoping he signs with NE again at a somewhat reasonable rate. And I'm hoping the Pats offered him a somewhat reasonable rate in the first place.

Probably trying to get the best offer possible. Can't really blame the guy- as recently as a year ago he was a bargain bin pickup, and now he's a hot commodity, or at least he feels like he should be considered one. He's got a whole lifetime to plan ahead for, and this might be his one shot to bank a contract that pays him a significant premium.

Of course, last time he had double-digit sacks, he followed that up with 9.5 over the next four years combined, so it may take a fairly desperate team to pay him according to the notion that he'll repeat 2011's performance in 2012. With all but the most elite guys (and even oftentimes with them), sack totals are by their nature unpredictable.

Belichick knows that, and is probably looking to pay him on the premise that he's an overwhelming favorite to regress towards his typical production next year. 10 sacks is apparently the magic number where a guy suddenly thinks he's worth a huge premium, but the NFL landscape is littered with players who reached that total once or twice and then never sniffed it again. If the Bills, or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay Anderson like a top-tier pass rusher, then I'm okay with letting them. I think there's a 50/50 shot that Scott and/or Fanene finishes with more sacks in 2012 than Anderson does, anyways.

Last edited:
But here is where I differ from you, AJ. I think its too easy to label Anderson now as simply a "situational; pass rusher". After Carter went down, Anderson had a lot more responsibility thrown on his plate. He became the OLB in some 3-4 sets. He played the run better than most expected of him, and he was one of the top 5 pass rushers in the playoffs.....when it counted.

I've been down this road before, and I think that Andy has a much different opinion than many of us in regards to this issue.

I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, as AJ has usually been a pretty decent judge of playing technique.

My guess is that M.Anderson has a pretty big weakness overall vs the run, and that he improved on that weakness--which made many of us take notice; but in the end it's still probably considered to be pretty significant.

I agree with you though, I actually would like to see Anderson return to the team even more than I originally felt last week. That said, I still don't expect it to happen unfortunately.

Phase 1. acquire defensive player who makes an impact
Phase 2. Let him leave
Phase 3. ????
Phase 4. Be regarded as a defensive mastermind

Repeat step #1...with a different player, for a low market price. That's the sign of a defensive mastermind.

Overpaying a player who was initially seen as taking up about 1/3 of the snaps before Carter's injury would not be in good judgment.

It could be argued that Anderson played a lot better than most would ever have thought, once he received his chance. That equaled a 47% overall defensive snap count.

I guess we will have to defer to Belichick's more expansive knowledge of the situation, as he is the one who makes the big bucks to do so.

I'd like Anderson back too, but at best he'd see about 50% of the snaps. Overpaying someone to do that is not how the Patriots have proven themselves to compete at a high level every year.

If the Patriots literally haven't "reached out" to Anderson's side, that's stupid.

If they merely haven't made an offer he'll accept, that's business.
Number of years and guaranteed money

Number of years and guaranteed money

I think Fencer is referring to some of the reports that suggest that the NEP haven't even reached out to him at all, at any level whatsoever.

It's hard to know whether or not those reports are true or not, but it's one of those things that makes you wonder.

Repeat step #1...with a different player, for a low market price. That's the sign of a defensive mastermind.

Hope* to repeat

Taking away one of the few bright spots doesn't bode well for an already awful defense.

Hope* to repeat

Taking away one of the few bright spots doesn't bode well for an already awful defense.

"Hope" to repeat. Yes, that's fair.

The problem is that he won't really play all that much, maybe 1/2 the snaps.

I really hope that he comes back, but if he doesn't it's not hard to see why it didn't happen. They'll probably fill the need in the draft, and through the low level FA signings. I'd also expect Carter to be resigned. IIRC, no one really cared all that much about Anderson until Carter went down anyway.

I'd like to see him return as well but I know the Patriots won't break the bank to get him back. Hopefully if he doesn't resign the team will find someone in the draft.

Marc Anderson only has count it one move...that is whi he is a FA again. Anderson makes TBC look like LT...that's not a compliment to Anderson's game.:snob:

App, he is close to signing with the Bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back