PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Analogy for "Spygate"

Status
Not open for further replies.

richpats

Banned
Reaction score
Let's say I am a student in a biology class. I have the highest GPA in my high school, though I am not the easiest person to get along with. I don't really fit-in, I wear weird clothes, I'm sort of paranoid so I don't really talk much to people (some say I'm "secretive") and I have this tendency to piss people off (including teachers) for pushing the limits of the rules. I am ultra-competitive though, and mostly why I hold the highest GPA. Though a lot of my peers despise me for doing so well and keeping them from having the highest GPA, they do respect what I have accomplished and they wish to have my kind of success in the classroom.

First day of biology class, the teacher hands out the syllabus and in the rules, it states the following:

"Students will not be allowed to bring their textbooks into the classroom on exam days, for purposes including (but not limited to) referring to exam material during the course of the exam."

Before the last exam, the teacher e-mailed out a reminder on the rule in the syllabus, just so that everyone is aware that the rule is in place and it will be enforced.

I have brought my textbook to class during exams all year long. The rationale is that after the exam, I can check the book to see if I answered certain questions correctly. I am obsessed with knowing immediately whether I cited information correctly or not, since I have the highest GPA and I can't stand not knowing with ABSOLUTE certainty whether I aced an exam or not. I never use the book DURING the exam though, so I feel like I have found a potential loophole in bringing the book to class. Other students have done this as well though it is kept amongst ourselves, as not to alert the teacher. Using the book during an exam is completely impractical since the questions require analysis and the exam takes up most of the class period.

Included in the class is my old lab partner from last year. We grew up together and were best friends in elementary school. He is also obsessed with becoming valedictorian, and is completely frustrated that he can't do better than me on exams. He knows there is no way he can become valedictorian unless I am out of the picture. Since we have spent a good deal of time together, he knows that I am obsessed with looking in the book after an exam and he has done it in the past as well.

This latest exam, which many in the class consider "hard", was going to be easy for me because I had done a science project using most of the material. My old lab partner was not prepared and expected the worst. He knew that this exam, being so late in the year, would cost him any chance of being valedictorian.

He had tipped the teacher off before the exam that I was bringing my textbook to class. The teacher was aware of this and while walking up the aisles between desks, he found my textbook underneath my desk and confiscated it. He allowed me to finish the exam, however he asked to speak with me after class.

During our meeting after class, the teacher asked me to explain myself. I said I brought the book to class to check some information after the exam. Though the teacher has some reason to be suspicious, he doesn't actually catch me in the act of "cheating", just that I had the book in my possession. I tell him that I "interpreted" the rule was intended to prevent cheating DURING an exam and that I had not challenged the spirit of the rule.

After the meeting, word gets out and a number of classmates start talking about how they've seen me take the textbook into class for other exams (people who may or may not have brought their book before). Since a lot of classmates despise me for my personality and performance, they smell blood and want to smear my reputation. The rumors spread and pretty soon a lot of people are calling me a "cheater" since I brought a textbook to class, which was a clear violation of the teacher's rule. Now everyone is questioning whether I was just this smart all along or if I actually cheated on other exams. Rumors start spreading that I had brought the textbook to other classes and that only fuels the fire. My reputation has taken a serious hit with this incident. A lot of people think I got to the top by "cheating".

The teacher decides to dock me 40 points off the exam. It is the most points the teacher has ever taken off an exam. Since my GPA is so high, it may or may not affect my standing for valedictorian. I accept the penalty and move on to the next exam, which will be the toughest of the year. I make sure to prepare more than ever and ace it, just to prove to people that I earned all of my grades. Well guess what? I go in (sans textbook) and smoke the exam.

(End of analogy)

So here's the question - in this situation did I technically "cheat"? No. Perhaps I was too smart for my own good and I was trying to step on the teacher's toes by bringing my book, but I knew the truth. The truth is I prepared a lot for these exams and got great grades. I would say I am "arrogant", but a "cheater"? Hell no.

There will always be those who question the incident and those that will forget, so long as I know that those grades were all legit. And like Bill Belichick, my arrogance put me into a dangerous spot that would potentially ruin my reputation. I broke rules but I never "cheated".

Last edited:
Re: nalogy for "Spygate"

I'm amazed at how anyone who has seen the videotape footage can say with a straight face that this gave a competitive advantage, was cheating, and was stealing.

A different analogy, from the world of golf:

Most elite golfers have extensive yardage books, to let them know exactly what distance their ball is from the hole. At one time, it was "that tree over there is 150 yards from the middle of the green." It has since evolved into very detailed schematics of every hole with yardages from every fixed point imaginable.

However, it is "illegal" in the rules of golf to get this info electronically (rangefinder). Most local associations have seen the light- "what's the difference in how you get the info?" It is the same info, whether by human eye or electronic. They have allowed the use of the electronic devices The PGA Tour has not changed thei rule, but you can see it coming.

Makes me wonder if the NFL will eventually let this rule slide, as the technology advances make it obsolete.

I don't even think you need to stretch the analogy as far as you did.

Say there is a classroom rule prohibiting video cameras during lecture (for what reason, I cannot say). I pay close attention in class but am unable to get all the details that I believe I need to fully prepare myself for the exam.

I understand the classroom restriction (and it pisses me off) but I don't feel like I'm doing anything improper...and I'll be damned if I'm going to follow a rule that restricts my ability to learn and excel.

So I bring a video camera and set it up to tape the lecture while I pay attention to what the professor is saying. My intention is to study the lecture in great detail back at the dorm and pick up anything I may have missed...or answer any nagging questions I didn't realize during class. I make no attempt to hide the camera so the worst the professor can do is tell me to turn it off. No big deal. I mean I'm only taping information that the whole class (and any lecture observers) can see for themselves.

The problem is one of the other kids in class (who is competing for the same grant/scholarship/job as me) wants to knock me down to boost his chances. In fact, the video restriction itself was put in place by students who are more interested in preventing perceived student inequities than they are in rewarding hard work and preparation.

Initially everything was going well. The teaching assistant saw my camera and didn't do anything about it. However, the other kid grabs my camera during the lecture and runs to the dean. Some of the kids in class pitch a fit, the student ethics board wants me expelled and the campus community wants to know how "spying" and "cheating" will be dealt with. How can they trust any of my previous grades on test if I used video of the lectures to study from? :confused:

The dean wants nothing to do with this but has to make an example of me to calm down the growing hordes of hysterical voices. I am stripped of access to one of the campus research labs next semester. I already have access to another college's lab across town and it is a little better (at least I hope it will be).

The End????

Makes me wonder if the NFL will eventually let this rule slide, as the technology advances make it obsolete.

That will eventually happen, and it will validate the Pats.

Highly, highly, highly impressed with this post. Spot on mate.

I nominate this post for the longest analogy every typed up.

That's all well and good. And we all know Bill Belichick is the Valedictorian in this scenario.

But......

If the Professor reminded you days before the test that books in the classroom during the test were strictly prohibited, would you still disregard it?
If you would, you are not the Valedictorian, because either A) You're a cheat or B) Beause you are too stupid to listen to the Professor.

Very poor decision by a great coach.

That's all well and good. And we all know Bill Belichick is the Valedictorian in this scenario.

But......

If the Professor reminded you days before the test that books in the classroom during the test were strictly prohibited, would you still disregard it?
If you would, you are not the Valedictorian, because either A) You're a cheat or B) Beause you are too stupid to listen to the Professor.

Very poor decision by a great coach.

What if the Professor said that all information would only be distributed in text books written in English...no other supplementary information would be allowed. What would you do if you were the only kid in class that was blind or only knew Spanish? It would be breaking the rule if you got a text book in braille or in Spanish. That wouldn't make you a cheat or an idiot.

Belichick feels his success as a coach is due to hard work and preparation (which extends to his players). A big part of that preparation for him is film study. A rule that restricts publicly available information on his preferred media (film) but doesn't restrict it in any other, sometimes more dubious, ways is no different to Belichick than my example above. He stood up for what he believes and got spanked for it.

Given what he knows now, I think he would agree that it was a poor decision.

He knowingly broke a rule, a rule that was in place, and a rule that was reminded to each team on September 2nd of this year, days before the season started.
He flubbed his nose at the league, and got the himself and the Patriots punished while also tarnishing his reputation. What an idiot! Especially since he is the top coach in the NFL . Why Bill, why??? Reason it away, but the bottom liine is Bill screwed up royally.
I am embarrased, much like Bob Kraft was last night at halftime on Sunday Night football.

Why Bill, why??? Reason it away

This is the part of the situation that frustrates me more that anything. You ask "Why?" but then immediate respond with "Reason it away". You demand to know the reason behind the action but immediately dismiss the information you demanded in the first place.

Belichick is either obstinate if he doesn't give you a reason...or he is evil and/or stupid because you won't accept any reason provided. If you want to be considered thoughtful or considerate, pick one road and stay on it. Either brand him a cheater/idiot/madman and be done with it...or devote some brain cells to understanding the situation with an open mind.

He has embarrassed all reasonable fans. Not the Belicheck Apologists, not the wahoos, but the reasonable fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes