PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An NFL team in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBeliever

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Did anybody else see this yesterday? Charlie "The GM" Casserly (who I know everyone here thinks is a moron anyway) said that investors in London are all excited about having the annual NFL game there, and now they want the league to let them have a team there.

Please tell me this is one case where Casserly is making even more of a fool of himself than usual.

Even worse, the primary candidate at the moment would be the Rams, since they're for sale at the moment. The London Rams?

How would you even do this? You're going to have one team a week flying across the ocean? Geez, you think the west coast teams are whining now about having to fly to the east coast... :eek:

Imagine how the Rams would deal with that. Unless they managed something like BB did last season with the West-coast games, they'd have 16 transatlantic flights each season, not including pre- & post-season.

I think it'd be interesting. I'm not that concerned, since my team would only make the trip once every 8 years. If Jacksonville were the team, I'd be more against it.

For East Coast teams it would be so bad. Flight time from NYC to London is 6 hours and from NYC to San Diego is also 6 hours.

The problem is when West Coast teams have to go out there. Also 8 hour time difference between PST and GMT could make scheduling games interesting.

A Canadian team or a Mexican team would make more sense.

NFL sold 103,000 tickets for the game they played in Mexico.

Well today Casserly said that the league has told the three potential ownership groups that it wants the Rams to stay in St. Louis, so maybe the London idea is no longer on the table.

Then again, Casserly was the only one I'm aware of who brought this thing up in the first place, so maybe it was never seriously considered anyway. I don't think Charlie knows as much as he thinks he does. ;)

I think a UK team would be an AWFUL idea.

There would be too much travelling.

It would be absolutely terrible to have a London team. A Toronto team would make much more sense. If you want to have football in Europe, start a leage in the UK first and see how it goes. If it become popular again (which it wasn't the last time around), expand it to another country. If the popularity keeps gaining, reopen NFL Europa. It wouldn't make ANY sense whatsoever to put an NFL team in London.

It would be a disaster, i'm a brit and I can tell you that it just would not work. An annual game works as it keeps NFL fans happy enough and also it maintains that novelty factor of seeing these great american team go head to head. I dont think they could mantain a sell-out crowd thoughout a season, it just isn't popular enough in the UK!

Roger wants to expand. The owners seem to like Roger's way. :confused2:

I think he's more concerned about getting the league back in L.A., they actually got approval to build a 70K+ stadium out there last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes