Welcome to PatsFans.com

An NFL team in London?

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by TrueBeliever, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did anybody else see this yesterday? Charlie "The GM" Casserly (who I know everyone here thinks is a moron anyway) said that investors in London are all excited about having the annual NFL game there, and now they want the league to let them have a team there.

Please tell me this is one case where Casserly is making even more of a fool of himself than usual.

Even worse, the primary candidate at the moment would be the Rams, since they're for sale at the moment. The London Rams?

How would you even do this? You're going to have one team a week flying across the ocean? Geez, you think the west coast teams are whining now about having to fly to the east coast... :eek:

2. falloutboy14

falloutboy14 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Imagine how the Rams would deal with that. Unless they managed something like BB did last season with the West-coast games, they'd have 16 transatlantic flights each season, not including pre- & post-season.

I think it'd be interesting. I'm not that concerned, since my team would only make the trip once every 8 years. If Jacksonville were the team, I'd be more against it.

3. kali3

kali3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For East Coast teams it would be so bad. Flight time from NYC to London is 6 hours and from NYC to San Diego is also 6 hours.

The problem is when West Coast teams have to go out there. Also 8 hour time difference between PST and GMT could make scheduling games interesting.

A Canadian team or a Mexican team would make more sense.

NFL sold 103,000 tickets for the game they played in Mexico.

4. TrueBeliever

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well today Casserly said that the league has told the three potential ownership groups that it wants the Rams to stay in St. Louis, so maybe the London idea is no longer on the table.

Then again, Casserly was the only one I'm aware of who brought this thing up in the first place, so maybe it was never seriously considered anyway. I don't think Charlie knows as much as he thinks he does. ;)

5. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#3 Jersey

I think a UK team would be an AWFUL idea.

There would be too much travelling.

6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

It would be absolutely terrible to have a London team. A Toronto team would make much more sense. If you want to have football in Europe, start a leage in the UK first and see how it goes. If it become popular again (which it wasn't the last time around), expand it to another country. If the popularity keeps gaining, reopen NFL Europa. It wouldn't make ANY sense whatsoever to put an NFL team in London.

7. Higgins86

Higgins86 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It would be a disaster, i'm a brit and I can tell you that it just would not work. An annual game works as it keeps NFL fans happy enough and also it maintains that novelty factor of seeing these great american team go head to head. I dont think they could mantain a sell-out crowd thoughout a season, it just isn't popular enough in the UK!

8. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Roger wants to expand. The owners seem to like Roger's way. :confused2:

9. TrueBeliever

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think he's more concerned about getting the league back in L.A., they actually got approval to build a 70K+ stadium out there last week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.