PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An embarassment of riches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people, and the line starts behind me, have mentioned the real need for a WR fairly high in the draft and/or a quality vet free agent (Gaffney, Engram, McDonald). And we all know that WR is, according to BB, the hardest position to project successfully. We also know that we have a lot of high draft picks to work with.

WHAT IF we were to acquire WR Anquan Boldin, either as a free agent or a sign-and-trade? Boldin will almost certainly be playing somewhere else next year, with all the money Arizona has tied up in Fitzie and the emergence of the Breast man, plus other quality depth. Boldin isn't upset with the Cardinals because he doesn't see enough balls -- he's not Terrell Owens. He's upset with the Cards for bending over backwards to make Fitzie the highest paid WR in the NFL and letting him languish on his 2nd rounder rookie deal.

We all know Boldin's a player, and that he'll play hurt and go 100% I don't even want to think about how good this offense gets with a Moss/Boldin/Welker/Aiken WR corps, with a TE who can catch (Thomas or a Rook) with a Maroney/Morris/Faulk hydra. And #12 at the trigger.

At the risk of joining the Bill Polian school of cap management, if it doesn't absolutely kill our cap, I think we do it. In two years we can let Moss walk and let Boldin be our #1. I don't advocate throwing money at name players very often, but with our offense, we could seriously make up for any shortcomings in the secondary...not to mention how good we are playing from in front. We'd probably have to make Hochstein or O'Callaghan a full-time blocking TE, but I'm cool with that.

Is this beyond reason?

Yes !!!!. :rolleyes::eek:

This is what I've been dying for to happen, but the Seattle GM has said they are keeping Branch, unfortunately. Thinking of Deion in this offense makes my football-imagination overload.
There is no way I'd want Branch back and I doubt the Patriots would even look at him with how he handled himself during the last negoatiations. Branch put himself above the team and screwed the Pats over with his lies.

Isn't Boldin just a more physical version of Gaffney. Boldin is not that fast and with Welker and Faulk working underneath and in the flats, it starts to get real crowded close to the LOS.

I think an intermediate guy, 8 to 15 yard routes, is what this offense needs most at the WR and/or TE position. Unfortunately I do not see Watson being the guy for this job from the TE position. The WR name that comes to mind is Branch, if Seattle cuts him.

Actually, I think you are thinking of Breaston. Boldin runs the intermediate routes very well. Boldin isn't MOSS fast or Welker quick, but he's a good combination of both. He's taken his fair share to the house.

The only way I could see Boldin coming to the Pats is if he doesn't cost more than a 2nd and they can reach a contract extension with him. The idea of tossing a scrub like BJGE and Watson their way isn't going to do anything for them. They already have Leonard Pope at TE and Tim Hightower at RB. I believe that Arrington is a free agent, but he's likely to be back with the Cards after his success at the end of the year.

It embarrasses me to even read someone comparing Gaffney to Boldin. In what cave do you dwell, and what playoffs were you watching in 2008? Boldin is one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. Gaffney is a serviceable #3. Boldin would be the #1 wideout on many teams in the NFL. Please don't EVER do that again. That would be saying, isn't Watson just a less physical Antonio Gates? NOT EVEN CLOSE!

What he said. Boldin will cost a solid first minimum. And forget tossing in detritus like Watson, BJGE, or even Maroney to lower the asking price.

There is no way I'd want Branch back and I doubt the Patriots would even look at him with how he handled himself during the last negoatiations. Branch put himself above the team and screwed the Pats over with his lies.

Amen. Branch can suck it!

Boldin isn't MOSS fast or Welker quick, but he's a good combination of both.

I don't think Boldin has even average WR speed. He had a terrible 40-time in the combine that really depressed his draft value.

I don't think Boldin has even average WR speed. He had a terrible 40-time in the combine that really depressed his draft value.

As people say, Game speed and timed speed are different.

Boldin has numerous LONG receptions (40+ yards) in his career. And at least 8 of them were for TDs. He's a lot faster on the field than people think. And, opposite Moss, he'd be deadly on the intermediate routes and would help open things up even more for Welker and whomever the Pats have at TE.

smoking-smiley-5427.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore