PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amazing MMQB article on Gronk (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see that someone outside of the Patriots appreciates just how smart Gronk is. His so-called excitable, goofy persona is just his media "brand", IMHO (I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the next John Madden after his football career ends). But on the field, he is strictly business, and I'm not surprised he has been elected a Captain. Nobody achieves a resonance with Tom Brady without a brilliant football mind, and Gronk managed to do that almost the first day he walked on the field.

Nice to see that someone outside of the Patriots appreciates just how smart Gronk is. His so-called goofy persona is just his media "brand", IMHO (I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the next John Madden after his football career ends). But on the field, he is strictly business, and I'm not surprised he has been elected a Captain. Nobody achieves a resonance with Tom Brady without a brilliant football mind, and Gronk managed to do that almost the first day he walked on the field.
Did you know in general that alot of 'goofy' people are actually putting on an act the majority of the time because they are highly intelligent but are not comfortable with either a) constant praise (sets too high of a pedestal) or b) - making others feel or look bad.

It's actually a well known study (the name of it has slipped out of my head) that one of my lecturers told me about and i believe Gronk truly falls into that category. Of course he likes to have fun and that's his nature but i feel he's so good hearted that he doesn't want to come across as a know it all so he puts on the goof act most of the the time on camera.

I've harped on this for quite some time. This guy is very shrewd on and off the field. His party animal persona is mostly a front- he always stops short of ending up in any real trouble.

I've harped on this for quite some time. This guy is very shrewd on and off the field. His party animal persona is mostly a front- he always stops short of ending up in any real trouble.
Exactly, there are plenty of very very smart guys in the NFL that just can't control themselves or their ego on camera so they end up putting their foot in their mouth. Unfortunately the Bennett brothers are this. Highly intelligent but always try to 'keep it 100' to show off how much better they think/may think they are. Sometimes they are 100% on the money and other times a tad stupid with their comments.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Exactly, there are plenty of very very smart guys in the NFL that just can't control themselves or their ego on camera so they end up putting their foot in their mouth. Unfortunately the Bennett brothers are this. Highly intelligent but always try to 'keep it 100' to show off how much better they think/may think they are. Sometimes they are 100% on the money and other times a tad stupid with their comments.

I'm not seeing the Bennett comment.......not since he's been here anyway

By the way, here is another guy that was a well known, notorious goofball, playing his favorite song "Orange Juice" (the words are simply "I like orange juice") on the bongo drums. :)

The guy is Nobel Prize winning Physicist Richard Feynman, inventor of Quantum Electrodynamics, Feynman diagrams, and the famous Feynman lectures on physics. He is in the same conversation as Einstein as the most brilliant mind of the 20th century.

....Goofy does not mean dumb. ;)

Last edited:
Guarantee the folks over at MMQB will now be the official Team Gronk mouthpiece during his next injury controversy or contract squabble... Book it

Did you know in general that alot of 'goofy' people are actually putting on an act the majority of the time because they are highly intelligent but are not comfortable with either a) constant praise (sets too high of a pedestal) or b) - making others feel or look bad.

It's actually a well known study (the name of it has slipped out of my head) that one of my lecturers told me about and i believe Gronk truly falls into that category. Of course he likes to have fun and that's his nature but i feel he's so good hearted that he doesn't want to come across as a know it all so he puts on the goof act most of the the time on camera.

I'd also suggest something simpler -- Gronk wants to spend time both:
  • Making money off of being a celebrity.
  • Goofing around and having fun.
So it's great for him if an activity checks both boxes at once.

Perhaps Brady actually thinks it's fun to look enigmatic while holding a goat. (I'm not wholly joking, although I'd guess that the specific case of the goat was not one of his favorites. I think he actually enjoys this fashion model stuff.) But Gronk would rather spend his time portraying a different image.

Guarantee the folks over at MMQB will now be the official Team Gronk mouthpiece during his next injury controversy or contract squabble... Book it

To be fair, this is written by Andy Hart, who has a long history of writing good pieces about the Pats.

We simply do not get to read anything that resembles this type of reporting on what makes Gronk so special on the field. His off field persona seems to cover up his brilliance on Sunday.

A must read.

I'd also suggest something simpler -- Gronk wants to spend time both:
  • Making money off of being a celebrity.
  • Goofing around and having fun.
So it's great for him if an activity checks both boxes at once.

Didn't I read that he hasn't spent one cent of his salary and lives on endorsements, investing the rest?? That is a great long term strategy for building megawealth.. an option not available to most and a great one...

Didn't I read that he hasn't spent one cent of his salary and lives on endorsements, investing the rest?? That is a great long term strategy for building megawealth.. an option not available to most and a great one...

Gronk is building an empire:
- Endorsements
- Gronk cruises
- Gronk fitness centers (with his family)
- Crashletes (kids TV show he hosts on Nick)
- Gronk foundation
- Gronk football camp
- Gronk bus company
- Gronk book

Yep, he got that advice from his dad (IIRC he parks the salary money in tax-free bonds).

Rob Gronkowski, Football's Brainiest Tight End | The MMQB with Peter King

Really, really hard to put a true value on someone that good on and off the field. It's almost not fair on others that he understands every aspect of the TE position to go with his elite skill set.

I agree but the article is a typical puff piece. "Like a chemistry professor going through the periodic table, Gronkowski expounds on his varied positions, detailing the nuances of each branch on the route tree." Haha "like going through the periodic table" - NOPE. Not like that at all. Why people insist on exaggeration, excessive hyperbole when they can write a nice factual article is a mystery to me.

Agreed, although I would more characterize that tendency as "not being media-savvy." Hence BB coming across as a drone when he knows he's dealing with unscrupulous journalists who will pounce on anything remotely resembling clickbait.

“Rob is a versatile athlete, but he’s also a versatile guy mentally. He can handle a lot of different assignments. Some guys can’t. Either they mentally can’t do it, or it’s just too much and their game slows down. They don’t play to the same skill set you see athletically because they’re thinking too much. That’s not the case with Rob.”

I'm sure BB's quote is referencing Ben Watson, who would fit this mold exactly. It's not that Watson wasn't a decent tight end here, but as a first round pick, we would have thought he had a higher ceiling, and he rarely seemed to showcase his athleticism. I'm not sure if people realized this about Watson, but he scored a FORTY-EIGHT on his Wonderlic test. That is freakin amazing. Tied for the third highest score ever, at any position. To put things in perspective, you can get into Mensa with a score of around 36 (top 2%). My wife scored a 40, which puts her around the 99.7th percentile; so if you had 1000 people in a room, she would be in the top 3. Ben Watson, at 48, would be above most physics theorists and somewhere in the freak intelligence category. I'm guessing someone like that would struggle in a complex, decision-based offense and might overanalyze. I don't think it's any secret the Saints deploy a more simplified system, based on the typical athelticism of their players and the fact some of our castoffs did well in NO. Ben Watson is one of them. Travaris Cadet is another guy who clearly couldn't grasp the offense here but is doing fine there.

Huge List Of NFL Wonderlic Scores By Position | WTS

To be fair, this is written by Andy Hart, who has a long history of writing good pieces about the Pats.

We simply do not get to read anything that resembles this type of reporting on what makes Gronk so special on the field. His off field persona seems to cover up his brilliance on Sunday.

A must read.
you mean andy benoit. andy hart writes for patriots football weekly.

Delete!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes