PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Millstein: Brady's chances of en banc hearing dramatically improved with latest amicus filings

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much has changed since the last negotiation, the whole concussion fiasco, the over reach of the commissioner, healthy players walking away from the game, the incredible increase in revenues. I think the players are stronger now and when the time comes I hope they stick it to the owners.
They won't. They'll collapse like they always do. They aren't exactly brain surgeons. They may be millionaires, but they still live paycheck to paycheck. Plus there just isn't going to be much union support for something that only impacts about 1% of players. Most of the rank and file would much rather simply have more money.

I support this plan.

Probably put a franchise in New Jersey that would put the Jets out of business too. How long could a losing franchise compete?

Probably put a franchise in New Jersey that would put the Jets out of business too. How long could a losing franchise compete?

We've been losing for close to 50 years and still going strong!

Besides, we already have two in Jersey. How 'bout one in nyc?

In other words, no such league exists. Thank you for admitting it.

There used to be a franchise in Boston.
s-l64.jpg

Of all the leagues that have attempted to challenge the dominance of an established league, the American Football League was the only one to be truly successful. The American Football League was the only league in North American pro sports ever to have merged with another major league and have all its teams continue to exist. No AFL teams folded and only two teams changed cities during the league's 10-year existence.

Remember the AFL

There used to be a franchise in Boston.
s-l64.jpg

Remember the AFL
When you said "a league went head to head with the NFL in the fall" it seemed as though you meant this past fall, hence my question regarding what the heck you were talking about.

So if you were referring all along to the AFL, then you are ignorant of history if you think the conditions that gave rise to the AFL are even remotely in place today.

Now please get back to telling us all how Bob Kraft should just dissolve his $3.2 billion empire to start fresh and compete with the biggest behemoth in North American sports.

When you said "a league went head to head with the NFL in the fall" it seemed as though you meant this past fall, hence my question regarding what the heck you were talking about.

So if you were referring all along to the AFL, then you are ignorant of history if you think the conditions that gave rise to the AFL are even remotely in place today.

Now please get back to telling us all how Bob Kraft should just dissolve his $3.2 billion empire to start fresh and compete with the biggest behemoth in North American sports.

It didn't play in the spring like USFL. It played head to head with NFL games on the same days in the fall.

If I meant last fall, that's what I would have written.

Last edited:
Kraft can do what he wants, but Goodell and the league backstabbed him, he's old, he's already done the hoodsie girl friend routine, he owns the only possible stadium in the area and he has the best QB coach combination, both of whom have been disrespected and humiliated by the NFL.

Brady and Giselle definitely have franchise owners money...

If the NFL can make money with totally incompetent management, what could a league started by the best minds in football do? Belichick already dominates with low/or no draft picks, let him be in charge of helping the new franchises steal undervalued players.

Why keep fightin a fixed legal system, where you already won against a crooked appeal process? Destroy th league and rebuild it. People still want to watch football. Who wouldn't enjoy Irsay, the mafia guy from Baltimore and whining Harbaugh try to compete in a world where the Patriots have at least a fair shot?

Who thinks Goodell would last five minutes in a league based on fair competition and competence?

It didn't play in the spring like USFL. It played head to head with NFL games on the same days in the fall.

If I meant last fall, that's what I would have written.
Well you've made so many stupid remarks, that it is tough to know exactly what you meant by that particular poorly worded statement.

So essentially your grand solution is to have Kraft and a few other owners willingly "dissolve" their organizations which are worth BILLIONS of dollars to start a new league with no players, no TV deal, no revenue, and in many cases no stadiums.

LOL!!!!! Yeah that makes sense. LOL

Kraft can do what he wants, but Goodell and the league backstabbed him, he's old, he's already done the hoodsie girl friend routine, he owns the only possible stadium in the area and he has the best QB coach combination, both of whom have been disrespected and humiliated by the NFL.

Brady and Giselle definitely have franchise owners money...

If the NFL can make money with totally incompetent management, what could a league started by the best minds in football do? Belichick already dominates with low/or no draft picks, let him be in charge of helping the new franchises steal undervalued players.

Why keep fightin a fixed legal system, where you already won against a crooked appeal process? Destroy th league and rebuild it. People still want to watch football. Who wouldn't enjoy Irsay, the mafia guy from Baltimore and whining Harbaugh try to compete in a world where the Patriots have at least a fair shot?

Who thinks Goodell would last five minutes in a league based on fair competition and competence?
I'll do you the favor and give you the ridiculous notion that every single Patriot player, coach and owner is willing to go along with your idiotic scheme. Now riddle me this:

Why would anyone else? Why is Irsay, the mafia guy from Baltimore and whining Harbaugh even remotely interested in leaving their cash cow?

So correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure some of you will), but although Brady's suspension was uphelp on appeal, it really isn't in effect until Judge Berman says so. If I'm correct (and I believe I am) all that the 2nd Circuit did was send the case back to Judge Berman to review and reverse his ruling. Until he actually DOES get around to that, then the suspension is NOT in effect, and the judge can take his sweet time in so ordering the suspension. If Judge Berman wanted to, he could, in effect, hold off on his decision/ruling until either the season is over, OR until the 2nd Circuit rules on an en banc hearing, OR until the case (if Brady wants it to) go all the way through the SCOTUS.

The way I'm reading this situation, to date, is that it is quite likely that Berman is simply stalling to see what the 2nd Circuit does or if this case goes up to the SCOTUS.

If that is the case, then there's every reason to believe that Brady could be playing on opening day.

So correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure some of you will), but although Brady's suspension was uphelp on appeal, it really isn't in effect until Judge Berman says so. If I'm correct (and I believe I am) all that the 2nd Circuit did was send the case back to Judge Berman to review and reverse his ruling.
That is correct. The CA2 Appeals Court didn't lift the suspension, they ordered Berman to lift the suspension. He has not done so (and will not do so) until all appeals are processed.
Until he actually DOES get around to that, then the suspension is NOT in effect, and the judge can take his sweet time in so ordering the suspension. If Judge Berman wanted to, he could, in effect, hold off on his decision/ruling until either the season is over, OR until the 2nd Circuit rules on an en banc hearing, OR until the case (if Brady wants it to) go all the way through the SCOTUS.
He won't do anything until all avenues of appeal are exhausted, but once that has happened, I do not think he has the leeway to stall. CA2 worded their decision in such a way as to slam the door shut on any of Berman's "outs" that he left himself.
The way I'm reading this situation, to date, is that it is quite likely that Berman is simply stalling to see what the 2nd Circuit does or if this case goes up to the SCOTUS.
I don't consider it stalling because it would be inappropriate for him to do what CA2 told him to do when that CA2 decision is being appealed.
If that is the case, then there's every reason to believe that Brady could be playing on opening day.
It all depends on how long all these courts take. If Brady gains an en banc hearing, that easily takes us through the 2016 season. But Lord knows when we will hear whether or not he is getting the en banc review. People have been predicting we would "likely hear something this week" for 3 weeks now and so far nothing.

If he fails to get an en banc review, there is still the appeal to the USSC. That could be summarily dismissed, or it could buy a couple weeks or it could buy a couple months.

Well you've made so many stupid remarks, that it is tough to know exactly what you meant by that particular poorly worded statement.

It was correctly worded. As you said, you decided it meant something other than what was written.

It was correctly worded. As you said, you decided it meant something other than what was written.
It was poorly worded but you know what? You're getting so badly slammed on your moronic notion that Bob Kraft should "dissolve the Patriots" that I'll let you have this minor, insignificant semantic victory.

Now please, tell us all why anyone is the NFL would actually go along with your ridiculous plan.

It was poorly worded but you know what? You're getting so badly slammed on your moronic notion that Bob Kraft should "dissolve the Patriots" that I'll let you have this minor, insignificant semantic victory.

Now please, tell us all why anyone is the NFL would actually go along with your ridiculous plan.

I'm being hyperbolic. McCann says Brady has a 1% chance to get a rehearing. I can't find anything that says Berman can or would refuse to confirm the suspension. Meanwhile we need to prepare two different quarterbacks to start, having them both work with new receivers etc.

We've been losing for close to 50 years and still going strong!

Besides, we already have two in Jersey. How 'bout one in nyc?

You have to build your own stadium.

You have to build your own stadium.

Two multi-billion dollar stadiums within a few miles of each other?

I'm just happy Woody knocked down the red n blue stadium which had that Midget Stadium sign on it.

Two multi-billion dollar stadiums within a few miles of each other?

I'm just happy Woody knocked down the red n blue stadium which had that Midget Stadium sign on it.
Uh, the NJ Jets could move to NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore