PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Derby traded to Broncos for 2017 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar to the Van Noy trade, I can live with this trade, even if Derby is sent to the despicable, detestable Donkeys.

However, throwing away Clay Harbor just so his spot on the 53 could be taken by useless trash makes
even less sense now than it did when it happened.

In 3 games for Detroit, Harbor has 3 catches for 19 yards. Nothing has been lost by jettisoning him.

Nothing has been gained, either.

Nothing has been gained, either.

That's irrelevant to your gripe, though. As a player, Harbor's loss is a non-issue. The money pissed away on signing him was more of a loss than the actual player. If there's a legit gripe about Harbor, imo, it's that he was given the $400k to sign in the first place.

Too bad, I liked Derby. Maybe he wasn't showing enough in practice. On the flip side, we could be gearing up for Reece, that would be cool. If not, maybe an increased role for Develin?

I have noticed Develin line up at TE this season. Would love to see him take on new roles......successfully. Basically like giving us an extra roster spot if he can be the TE3.

In 3 games for Detroit, Harbor has 3 catches for 19 yards. Nothing has been lost by jettisoning him.

Actually it has. He could be a solid backup now and core STer. Instead they are using another exclusive ST roster spot for Grissom and having Chung playing 15+ ST snaps in addition to full D snaps without having a real backup for him in disappointing Richards.

But all that (including lamenting about money) is only in retrospect so it doesn't really count. At the time they signed Scruggs after they worked him out and obviously liked what they saw enough to immediately cut ties with Harbor and money.

The position that looked so deep a month ago is now carved to the bone - or to the essence of two star TEs (both already dealing with injuries). There's always a lot of irony in roster moves in this game. Scruggs is on IR, Harbor is playing regularly for Lions on O and ST and Derby can help rival Broncos.

The point is it was all done with clear purpose to make this one of the deepest and most important positions of the season (signing both Bennett and Harbor in FA they obviously saw the need of someone like Harbor behind Gronk and Bennett). The real question is how will they address the position now after this unfortunate turn of events. Derby was clearly not the answer. They tried him in recent weeks and clearly evaluated he cannot contribute in a manner they envisioned for this year. Reece would be a great complementary and versatile option if he is in shape .. they had him for workouts so they know where they stand with him. Everybody is marrying them but the groom seems hesitant .. Some are suggesting Develin could be an option (or baby Gronk; BTW - Scruggs can return in about a month) but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring another option from outside. In any case they surely had a clear idea before giving Derby to the Broncos .. so It will be interesting to see what it was.

Damn, I knew people in this forum overrated Derby by a lot. But I didn't know it was to this extent. The guy is a JAG. Getting a 5th for him was a good move.

Who cares.....dude sucked anyway

Damn, I knew people in this forum overrated Derby by a lot. But I didn't know it was to this extent. The guy is a JAG. Getting a 5th for him was a good move.

Derby was a binky of mine, but the hand wringing from some is inexplicable.

If Derby was THAT good, and losing him to the Broncos helps them SO much, then the only problem is that BB should have demanded a 1st rounder for him.

So I'd imagine the offense needs to change a considerable amount of things (audibles for sure) before the Denver game now. I wonder if that's just SOP considering guys are brought in/let go constantly throughout the season?

Any chance Rex reaches out to the Donkeys this week for some tips on deciphering the Pats' playcalls or formations? The Pats losing would seem to be in Denver's best interest.

I like Derby but he wasn't seeing the field like... at all. Hard for him to crack the lineup with Gronk and Bennet playing so well.

A 5th round pick adds to the warchest of Patriots draft picks. Not a high pick but you never know how it will help. I mean Elandon Roberts was a 6th round pick...

Actually it has. He could be a solid backup now and core STer. Instead they are using another exclusive ST roster spot for Grissom and having Chung playing 15+ ST snaps in addition to full D snaps without having a real backup for him in disappointing Richards.

But all that (including lamenting about money) is only in retrospect so it doesn't really count. At the time they signed Scruggs after they worked him out and obviously liked what they saw enough to immediately cut ties with Harbor and money.

The position that looked so deep a month ago is now carved to the bone - or to the essence of two star TEs (both already dealing with injuries). There's always a lot of irony in roster moves in this game. Scruggs is on IR, Harbor is playing regularly for Lions on O and ST and Derby can help rival Broncos.

The point is it was all done with clear purpose to make this one of the deepest and most important positions of the season (signing both Bennett and Harbor in FA they obviously saw the need of someone like Harbor behind Gronk and Bennett). The real question is how will they address the position now after this unfortunate turn of events. Derby was clearly not the answer. They tried him in recent weeks and clearly evaluated he cannot contribute in a manner they envisioned for this year. Reece would be a great complementary and versatile option if he is in shape .. they had him for workouts so they know where they stand with him. Everybody is marrying them but the groom seems hesitant .. Some are suggesting Develin could be an option (or baby Gronk; BTW - Scruggs can return in about a month) but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring another option from outside. In any case they surely had a clear idea before giving Derby to the Broncos .. so It will be interesting to see what it was.

Nothing has been lost. Your "well, maybe he could, if, posssibly" is speculation about future loss. Harbor had done nothing. Harbor's doing almost nothing now. Harbor was replaced quickly, with no loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back