PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Derby traded to Broncos for 2017 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trade partner on this was shocking to be honest...

I trust BBs opinion, but acting like this is some great deal is dumb. They used a 6th on him and could have just traded that for a 2017 5th instead of drafting. They broke even and wasted two years on someone elses player.

Unless they were going to release him.

We were told that at the end of preseason teams were calling in and wanted to trade for AJ and BB said no. I wonder what they were offering then?

if he catches a TD next week or against the patriots ,this board will go up in flames :-D

Maybe its Reece, but just maybe that 3rd guy is someone who is already here. James Devlin. He can block. We know that. He also has very good hands. We know that too. What we DON'T know is how well he can run TE routes. But we do know that he works out with the TEs every day and is in that meeting room.

All I know is that I don't like having only 2 TE's on this team. Too risky
Not just the TE's . We have been quite lucky with injuries so far. But we saw last yr what happened when edelman went down. We dont have decent wR depth either although to get one via a trade into this system is difficult.

Boy, and I thought the Van Noy trade was odd. So basically we add a player where we seem to have some depth and subtract a player in an area where we are now very thin. Bill certainly moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to behold..

I liked Derby as a developmental project behind Bennett and Gronk, but clearly BB has soured on him for some reason, and decided to get at least SOME value for him before he was forced to just release him and watch him get picked up on the waiver wire.

Clearly the choice of WHERE to trade him was odd to say the least. We still have an open roster spot. I don't think he's done yet. In the mean time we still better get another TE.

You're assuming that BB went to Denver.. What if Denver came to BB with the offer??

That was unexpected, I like Derby in the pre-season and looked solid. He wasn't much of a blocker, but had good hands.
I think BB trusts Bennett and Gronk to make it through the whole season.

If he performs well for the Broncos then we will get a high pick is my guess. Probably a 4th rounder...
But I just don't like the fact we are trading people to Broncos...I don't want to help them.

Maybe its Reece, but just maybe that 3rd guy is someone who is already here. James Devlin. He can block. We know that. He also has very good hands. We know that too. What we DON'T know is how well he can run TE routes. But we do know that he works out with the TEs every day and is in that meeting room.

All I know is that I don't like having only 2 TE's on this team. Too risky

Of course mysterious Mr. Scruggs could be returning in one month ..

I thought Scruggs was on IR, which means he's out til next season.

Does this open the door for the baby Gronk?

We haven't used our designated to return from IR option yet. Was hoping Brissett could come back for the reps, but most likely a 3rd qb will not be a need.

Of course mysterious Mr. Scruggs could be returning in one month ..

I thought Scruggs was on IR, which means he's out til next season.

No. The rule was changed this year. You no longer have to designate a player to return from IR. You can pick one player to return off the IR provided that player has spent at least 6 weeks on it.

That would mean that Scruggs wouldn't be eligible to come back before week 13.

Not sure, how many passes and TDs has derby caught this year?? Someone help me out

Harbor is the 3rd TE...no need to get all twisted because we traded Derby. He hasn't done anything and we get a 5th rd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3