PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After watching the Colts dominate the Chiefs

no hill, no watkins, stupid game plan to throw downfield all game. Once Mahomes was hobbled, they didn't change a thing, stupid coaching.

The Chiefs defense is ranked 31st vs the run. They cant stop the run and injuries are not the excuse.

Moreover, stupid Andy Reid did not learn from last season. The Chiefs and Mahomes want to score in 2 plays and put their lack of depth defense right back out on the field magnifying the porous defense. You watch Brady and the Pats and they purposely want long time consuming drives chewing up small bites of ground. By the 4th quarter the other defense is gassed just like the Chiefs defense was last AFCC.

Year 2 of Mahomes and Defensive Coordinators had all off season to break down his tendencies. He is being rushed this year alot and getting sacked and chased out of the pocket.

Can't make conclusions off one game. But obviously Mahome Boy will need to be healthy for them to have a chance. They desperately need Ramsey. Otherwise they are in a pinch.
Ummm wrong forum, this isn't Chefs Planetoid, so we don't GAF what the Chefs need.

Ummm wrong forum, this isn't Chefs Planetoid, so we don't GAF what the Chefs need.
giphy.gif

Moreover, stupid Andy Reid
Reid's approach of burning you timeouts early with respect to clock management flies in the face of what BB says about it. Bill always says you are "better off with less time, but all your timeouts", than a minute more with no time outs.

Reid drained all three of his time outs to stop the clock on the COlts O with over 4 and half minutes still in the game. I have seen him do that before but last night I felt like it was just extremely odd.

You watch Brady and the Pats and they purposely want long time consuming drives chewing up small bites of ground. By the 4th quarter the other defense is gassed just like the Chiefs defense was last AFCC.
I hear you but oddly, Belichick has flat out said the Time of Possession is an extremely overrated stat. It would be interesting to see a study of wins/losses and TOP.

That is what he said. He said points allowed verse points score only really stat that matters. He even said something like "if we score 7 and it takes 30 seconds. And they score three or zero but take nine minutes, we win."

If I am the Walrus (coo coo ca choo), I’m leaning heavily on the ground game for now and making that the focal point of the offense for a little bit until Mahomes is healthy again. A solid running game takes the pressure off Mahomes while leaving KC’s defense off the field.

Clock management is key. The Patriots literally shut out the Chiefs in the first half and would have continued to dominate if it weren't for consecutive soft penalty flags on JC Jackson that gave a free TD to KC, which shifted momentum. And as far as I remember, the Patriots dominated time of possession for that game as well. There is no doubt that Mahomes/Hill/Kelce are really good, so keep them off the field as long as possible by controlling the clock. Andy Reid has been notorious for being a poor clock manager so this is something the Patriots should be able to do.

I don't buy the Colts as a serious team at all.

Their defense is not good.

They have a good coach and good OL, that's it.

Their defense is pretty damn good. Their OLine is very good. If you win the line of scrimmage consistently, you are likely going to win the game. Their LG is a mauler. The offense made "Run The Damn Ball" hats. Seems like NE isn't the only team seeing benefits to getting back to a run game (minnesota and cook comes to mind).

The Chiefs defense is ranked 31st vs the run. They cant stop the run and injuries are not the excuse.

Moreover, stupid Andy Reid did not learn from last season. The Chiefs and Mahomes want to score in 2 plays and put their lack of depth defense right back out on the field magnifying the porous defense. You watch Brady and the Pats and they purposely want long time consuming drives chewing up small bites of ground. By the 4th quarter the other defense is gassed just like the Chiefs defense was last AFCC.

Year 2 of Mahomes and Defensive Coordinators had all off season to break down his tendencies. He is being rushed this year alot and getting sacked and chased out of the pocket.

Mahomes game is predicated on getting outside the pocket and ad libbing. Throwing back across his body and all sorts of such bad habits. He currently has the abilities to pull that **** off. He is often rolling out by design and seemingly directing traffic like its a pick up game.

Now he's banged up, immobile (likely worse next week, he aggravated a previous injury and was clearly hampered in delivery and mobility late), and missing weapons. The chiefs are incredibly vulnerable the next few weeks. Mahomes and their starting guard on the same play last night (backup OG is trash) Both DTs got ground down and eventually injured last night, and they sucked against the run already :eek:

The colts are a mash unit at db. Pretty sure every starting S and CB were either already ruled out or atleast missed portions of last nights game with injuries. Leonard is out. DT out too IIRC. Still held the chiefs in check with help from brutal officiating (not saying they were leaning one way or the other, just killed game flow), some fortunately timed turnovers and a physical, gritty game. Maybe part of the problem is they just committed to being overly physical in the secondary, forcing the refs to "not call it every play" kind of stuff. They had a PS call up talimg starter reps at outside corner, against the chiefs, and won.

Well done Indy.

Look, the Chiefs are a really good team, but let’s not overrate them. They’ve struggled to stop the run for the last 2 seasons, they shot out of a cannon last year but ended up going 4-4 down the stretch in 18 before eventually falling to the Pats.

There’s a reason the colts of the 2000’s only won 1 superbowl. (besides the refs in 06) that is defense and a running game still win championships.

Reid's approach of burning you timeouts early with respect to clock management flies in the face of what BB says about it. Bill always says you are "better off with less time, but all your timeouts", than a minute more with no time outs.

Reid drained all three of his time outs to stop the clock on the COlts O with over 4 and half minutes still in the game. I have seen him do that before but last night I felt like it was just extremely odd.
Didn’t Bill burn his 1st timeout after kickoff yesterday? Always playing mind games that guy.
I hear you but oddly, Belichick has flat out said the Time of Possession is an extremely overrated stat. It would be interesting to see a study of wins/losses and TOP.

That is what he said. He said points allowed verse points score only really stat that matters. He even said something like "if we score 7 and it takes 30 seconds. And they score three or zero but take nine minutes, we win."
I think that’s BB being BB. He’s right in the example he gives of course, you don’t get W’s for holding onto the ball longer, but he hates stats and without context drawing conclusions from TOP in a vacuum can be deceiving. But, since his Giants days thru present day he has been part of developing game plans that utilize controlling the ball, field position, and clock as a mechanism of controlling the outcome.

The Pats went on a 8 minute opening drive vs the Chargers last post season and a 7 minute opening drive vs the Chiefs in the AFCC.

See the Giants vs Bills Super Bowl where the Giants kept Jim Kelly on the bench by controlling the clock. Mahomes cant do anything without being on the field.

Their defense is pretty damn good. Their OLine is very good. If you win the line of scrimmage consistently, you are likely going to win the game. Their LG is a mauler. The offense made "Run The Damn Ball" hats. Seems like NE isn't the only team seeing benefits to getting back to a run game (minnesota and cook comes to mind).

Mahomes game is predicated on getting outside the pocket and ad libbing. Throwing back across his body and all sorts of such bad habits. He currently has the abilities to pull that **** off. He is often rolling out by design and seemingly directing traffic like its a pick up game.

Now he's banged up, immobile (likely worse next week, he aggravated a previous injury and was clearly hampered in delivery and mobility late), and missing weapons. The chiefs are incredibly vulnerable the next few weeks. Mahomes and their starting guard on the same play last night (backup OG is trash) Both DTs got ground down and eventually injured last night, and they sucked against the run already :eek:

The colts are a mash unit at db. Pretty sure every starting S and CB were either already ruled out or atleast missed portions of last nights game with injuries. Leonard is out. DT out too IIRC. Still held the chiefs in check with help from brutal officiating (not saying they were leaning one way or the other, just killed game flow), some fortunately timed turnovers and a physical, gritty game. Maybe part of the problem is they just committed to being overly physical in the secondary, forcing the refs to "not call it every play" kind of stuff. They had a PS call up talimg starter reps at outside corner, against the chiefs, and won.

Well done Indy.
Word

Reid has no idea what Mahomes is going to do next. Andy is just happy to have his sheet of 1000 plays and be along for the ride. Mahomes has taken over with his sandlot football making up plays as they happen.

Mahomes injury could linger a while. If he's immobile man they are in the trouble with that D

They will improve their pass coverage with a trade. I think they will focus on that and hope the d line can stop the run. I wouldn’t bury the chiefs yet. They’re still the second best team in the AFC despite the loss.

@mosslost It's worse than that. They don't really orbit at all. They just surround the nucleus in a probabalistic cloud and only come into being as a definitive electron when you look at them.

Kc defense is worse this year, but the can't replicate colts strategy (mostly with man coverage) for the offense once hill is back.
I think BB will have a lot of surprises for mahomes when the time comes, like he did with the rams. He will face a better defense than the one of the afccc.
For the offense, everybody staying healthy is the key, more contribution from TE is a huge part of NE offense.
Also hope that he have a 2 game advantage over than when we face and field advantage in the playoffs.
Overall they are a great team, but so are we, no reason for not being confident

Word

Reid has no idea what Mahomes is going to do next. Andy is just happy to have his sheet of 1000 plays and be along for the ride. Mahomes has taken over with his sandlot football making up plays as they happen.

I don't think Mahomes schtick would last in NE. He was consistently rushing Andy for plays. Seemed to me he wanted the play ASAP, so he would have plenty of time to change the play at LOS. I wonder if this is why they only ran the ball 10 times last night in a 19-13, grind it out loss.

I think the chiefs ran all of twice after mahomes got hurt and the OG went down. Run blocking is far easier on an OL. Let them get some ryrhm and keep the ends honest. Lots of wide designs and stupid slower developing junk against a fast d. Kelce was actually effective blocking the colts second level scrubs when asked to do it. Thats how much chicken **** the colts were hiding in the chicken salad last night. Damien Williams is an effective runner. No excuse not to feed him at least 15 carries in that game. It wasn't more than a 1 score game until late in the 4th. Andy Reid is offensive minded Buddy Ryan. Its like he doesn't give a **** if he's winning, as long as his side of the ball is doing their thing.

Also forgot, the chiefs are absolute garbage against screens. Atrocious. James White will go for 150 and 2 tds if they don't get it together.

Mahomes cant do anything without being on the field
If it takes him (or Manning or Brady for that matter) 2 minutes to score 7, and the other team 9 minutes to score 3, his point is valid. AND he DID actually say out loud that TOP was an overrated stat.

I happen to agree with you all about the TOP, but I was just making the case that it feels odd BB comments about the topic.

For one things, the Pats with many offensive plays tend to tire the D out (SB 51) where there is no way for them to be stopped by the end.

My only reason for mentioning it is what BB said about it himself. He basically said similar thing about the "points against" stat as the most important defensive stat.

Quentin Nelson might be the best interior lineman in the league. What a beast of an oline.

Gotta give Indy props. Primetime game at Arrowhead while shorthanded big time on defense especially in the secondary. Poised down the stretch even when they made a mistake or two (Brissett pick) and in the face of a series of bad calls against them.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back