PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Clayborn, Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

b72s

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
GBN has us picking him with Raiders pick at DE has some rush power looks like a green Seymour

Any thoughts????

GBN has us picking him with Raiders pick at DE has some rush power looks like a green Seymour

Any thoughts????

The more and more I watch this guy the more I am convinced he could be a huge difference maker. There isn't one player in the front seven who can shed blocks like this kid. I thought maybe I just watched a good game, so I you tubed some others against Georgia and powerhouse Ohio State. Same thing, this guy uses his hands like noone I've seen in this draft. He's got speed to get to the qb and can chase down rb's in a hurry. But again, his shedding blocks was impressive and stood out to me.

Some of the negatgives I saw is he does over pursue a little too much for my liking. And he needs to get a little bigger. He's listed at 285 but he looks more like 270 to me. Thats ok if he wants to move to olb. Seems hesistant at times while he diagnosies plays.

Overall I like him and think he is an impact DE for this team. He was consistently double and triple teamed and still got the job done. He showed up in the biggest games including being named the orange bowl mvp despite being game planned against every game.

I hope he keeps slipping under everyones radar because he would be a fine pick at 17 if he is there.

I guess we can merge this with impact de's or flanker lbs. Didn't see dabruinz snippet there. Was just responding to the original poster after he asked about thoughts? Did take the time to look back and see if there was already a Clayborn thread though:)

Last edited:
I like him as an OLB.

I like him as an OLB.

Agree. Would like to see him at around 260 lbs at the combine. In 2009, I believe he played at around that weight and was a terror. He bulked up this past year (maybe to spotlight his ability as a 4-3 DE) and it slowed him down noticeably. If he weighs in above 270 at the combine, I'll pass. If he shows up ripped at 260 and his quickness/explosion numbers are there, he becomes a target at #17 IMO.

The one reservation I have about him is that he seems to arrive late on running plays. He plays like a "closer", putting runners on the ground after someone else makes initial contact. Could just be my eyes deceiving me or the rest of the Iowa defense could just be that quick to the ball. He does seem to have enough functional strength to set the edge at OLB so I'm really not too concerned.

After watching every Clayborn game the last three years (he never played against Georgia btw... do you mean Georgia Tech?), I can't fathom him transitioning to a stand-up OLB. He will be a good 4-3 DE, with a possibility of being an undersized 5-tech, although I don't think 3-4 DE would be a great position for him.

Does it really hurt to take a look at some of the threads that are already posted?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...01144-flankers-outside-linebackers-page2.html

Bottom of the page and on page 3 are comments on Clayborn.

1. Clayborn is a defensive end not an outside linebacker
2. A flanker is a reciever not a outside linebacker

Why would anyone look for info on Clayborn in a thread titled flankers/ outside linebackers when he is neither? What's your problem?

1. Clayborn is a defensive end not an outside linebacker
2. A flanker is a reciever not a outside linebacker

Why would anyone look for info on Clayborn in a thread titled flankers/ outside linebackers when he is neither? What's your problem?

i dunno i could see clayborn loosing a couple of pounds and standing up... the guys very athletic and would be a good rush linebacker who has enough in the legs to stand up against the run... i always am going back and forth with him whether he would be good at 17 or not

i dunno i could see clayborn loosing a couple of pounds and standing up... the guys very athletic and would be a good rush linebacker who has enough in the legs to stand up against the run... i always am going back and forth with him whether he would be good at 17 or not

That would only work if Clayborn has the quickness and athleticism needed to play OLB. His combine numbers should tell the story on the position change.

There have been rumors over the years that Will Smith of the Saints was on BB's draft board and they're about the same size and Clayborn is quicker. He's certainly not a conventional OLB or DE in the Pat's defense maybe he could play a hybrid role between the two positions.

If Ty Warren comes back to full health and the combination of Brace and Pryor could take over the nose and you had Wilfork at DE and Clayborn at OLB on one side I doubt teams could run to that side and Clayborn would be an effective pass rusher. I have no idea if he could drop into coverage but if they could limit it scheme wise perhaps it's doable. There would obviously be plenty of 4-3 options with him too.

Clayborn is an interesting looking prospect. Something about him makes me think Willie McGinest? Of course this is pending a more accurate measurement. If he really is 6'4 285, I'd look him to slim down to around 280 to play the elephant back role for us. If he is shorter than 6'4, I don't see BB spending a 1st round pick on him. BB is VERY picky about the length of his outside linebackers.

Adrian Clayborn, Iowa, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

To draft a guy #17 and planning on him converting to a different position than he played in college is a very dangerous move. I dont think it is something the patriots should look at to do, rather than draft him at his position and if he could play it than thats a positive.

At least Bleichick will get the real scoop from Ferentz since they're friends and Ferentz was a coach on BB's staff back in the Cleveland days...Then again, Mike Elgin is the only Iowa player that BB has drafted....

To draft a guy #17 and planning on him converting to a different position than he played in college is a very dangerous move. I dont think it is something the patriots should look at to do, rather than draft him at his position and if he could play it than thats a positive.

There's less than 10 D1 schools that play in a 34 base. If you're looking the top five 34 OLB prospects coming out of college in a single draft class, most of them are 43 DE projects. Any draft pick is dangerous. Typically, drafting a 34 OLB is very dangerous because no one plays the position in college in the way that they do in the NFL, especially here in Foxboro.

It seems like the general consensus is that Clayborn played better at a lighter weight. I look over the OLB prospects in this draft and think Kerrigan and Clayborn fit the bill for what Belichick wants. Both have nonstop motors and the requisite size to fit our system. Only 3 more months....!

There's less than 10 D1 schools that play in a 34 base.

Air Force, Alabama, Army, BYU, Cal, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Houston, Navy, Notre Dame, SMU, Stanford, Texas A&M and Texas Tech use it. Half of them used it for the first time last year. More teams will probably follow, if the 3-4 base defense can stop the spread offense.

That would only work if Clayborn has the quickness and athleticism needed to play OLB. His combine numbers should tell the story on the position change.

Has he even worked out at OLB?

Based on the various reports, it's seems the only kid that meets the BB framework is the kid out of Missouri....and at 245-250 he would need another 25-30 lbs.

Has he even worked out at OLB?

Based on the various reports, it's seems the only kid that meets the BB framework is the kid out of Missouri....and at 245-250 he would need another 25-30 lbs.

I assume you're talking about Aldon Smith - he runs closer to 260 - which is decent for ROLB. He's no elephant, but those true elephant LOLB's are pretty hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes