PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Addressing the LT Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it is that easy. The Pats needed a LT back in 2011 because they knew Light was retiring and then he stepped in the next year as the starting LT.

It maybe was "that easy" back in 2011, and when the Pats had the #17 overall pick.

They're highly unlikely to have such a high pick this season, and the fact that college OT prospects (and OL prospects generally) from the past 3-4 draft classes have been having a much more difficult time adjusting to the NFL game than in the past has been pretty widely noted and discussed.

While Occams Razor would agree I just dont see BB going into the season without more backup especially once Garcia was done for the season. I mean we are talking about a LT here who might be the second most important individual player on the team in terms of risk.

If it is cancer-related (not necessarily a return of cancer, though), it would depend on when it was diagnosed. If that happened between OTAs and Camp, there's not much that BB could have done about it in the draft.

It would also depend on the treatment regime and prognosis. If it's the treatments that are taking something out of Solder, and they're about to end soon, BB may have decided to ride it out.

If it is cancer-related (not necessarily a return of cancer, though), it would depend on when it was diagnosed. If that happened between OTAs and Camp, there's not much that BB could have done about it in the draft.

It would also depend on the treatment regime and prognosis. If it's the treatments that are taking something out of Solder, and they're about to end soon, BB may have decided to ride it out.

Of course I didnt mean the draft when I said BB would have gotten a backup. Especially since there is no way you can just start a rookie at LT and maybe less importantly we drafted two potential tackles there anyway. I was talking about potential trades. It is one thing to have Waddle and Fleming as backups but something else entirely if there is a realistic concern that your LT might be IRd for a non football injury at some point.

What do we know about Andrew Jelks? Is he more of a LT or RT?

Of course I didnt mean the draft when I said BB would have gotten a backup. Especially since there is no way you can just start a rookie at LT and maybe less importantly we drafted two potential tackles there anyway. I was talking about potential trades. It is one thing to have Waddle and Fleming as backups but something else entirely if there is a realistic concern that your LT might be IRd for a non football injury at some point.

Gotcha, now. Sorry.

What I'm saying is that maybe the Pats knew there was something going on (illness rather than injury), and also knew that it wasn't going to be IR-worthy but might impact Solder's performance a bit for awhile at first but he'd get past it.

If the other workable options that were available would've brought no significant improvement over that ... ?

While Occams Razor would agree I just dont see BB going into the season without more backup especially once Garcia was done for the season. I mean we are talking about a LT here who might be the second most important individual player on the team in terms of risk.
But that's exactly what's happened.

This is slowly sliding into comedy territory.

How is a player who has been a starter for over 6 years now, not a first round pick success story ? Do you expect every first round pick to be a HoF level player ? He wont be a player like Thomas or as consistent as Tyron Smith but how many players are ?
Solder wasn't a starter in 2011.

i bet BB telling the line to play sub-par so he can force Brady into retirement

The_scariest_chart_for_the-a239bb04880d9775b7e96c43be0cba07

You are talking about how easy it is to draft a great LT. It makes you look more and more like an idiot.

Ad homenim attacks aren't an argument.

Matt Light says hello.

At a time where OL still were allowed to properly practice at college level and the CBA didnt yet neuter training camp / OTAs and restrict padded practices in the NFL as insanely as it does now. The landscape has changed a lot and now drafted lineman in general are just very, very rarely pro ready.

But Solder already missed most of camp and the preseason long before Garcia went out. If there was even a small question of his availability I am confident BB would have brought in someone as a safety net.

Unless you think his absence back in July is not connected to what made him miss the last two weeks.

That's a good point- who knows.. I'm sure it'll eventually surface, one way or another.

It maybe was "that easy" back in 2011, and when the Pats had the #17 overall pick.

They're highly unlikely to have such a high pick this season, and the fact that college OT prospects (and OL prospects generally) from the past 3-4 draft classes have been having a much more difficult time adjusting to the NFL game than in the past has been pretty widely noted and discussed.

I was curious since you said the last 3-4 draft classes. Wow you’re right:

NFL.com Draft 2017 - NFL Draft History: Full Draft Year

Every tackle taken outside of the top 16 picks in the 2016 draft has been terrible. Not even mediocre. Odiambo on Seattle...ouch.

2015: Six first round busts in the first round at OL.

2014; Mixed bag at best.

I hope we invest in LT via trade next year if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe