Absolute Greatest Value Pick For Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Not my pick...but after reading mock after mock, and analysis after analysis. Belichick...will drop down as far as possible in the 1st round to get the most value(Colts) and then...he will select Eric Winston OT from Miami(FLA).

There's just too much about this that makes sense. Yeah, I want Ernie Sims, I want Holmes, I want Justice...but Belichick wants rings and Winston will be a solid player for years to come w/o breaking the bank....and that is what matters most of all.

Belichick does not want to pick players that will break the bank unless they are complete players like Brady and Seymour. All of these round 1 players...including Bush are not complete enough to pay big future bucks for. Belichick wants a good solid player, who won't break the bank and will help him win now and into the future....that's Winston...I have no doubt.

A free player so to speak...Belichick gets a 3rd for making the deal. He then trades his 1st 3rd for a 2 next year and that still leaves him with
2 #3's to select good future Patriots.

Imagine he dances with the Colts on this deal. They are desperate for a franchise RB...their triangle offense depends upon it...they will dance with the teacher on this one.

Last edited:
Interesting take on what they will do. Completely possible. Whatever happens, you know the pats pick will be a little out of left field. No one would be expecting OT. Personally I think you can't have enough quality OL.

I would be mighty discouraged by a 1st-round OT, simply because it would mean that the Patriots don't view Kaczur as a starting-caliber tackle. I thought he showed a lot, and I'd like to think that four fifths of the OL is locked up and ready to start building some long-term chemistry.

patchick said:
I would be mighty discouraged by a 1st-round OT, simply because it would mean that the Patriots don't view Kaczur as a starting-caliber tackle. I thought he showed a lot, and I'd like to think that four fifths of the OL is locked up and ready to start building some long-term chemistry.

Yeah...LOL...but I figured i needed to think outside the box...so this is it...it has Mankins "Flava" to it. Does Bill care how hard we are working to figure this one out...NOT. :rofl:

patchick said:
In the year of the tackle, or so draftniks were led to believe last year, I can't see too many players equivalent to Kaczur in this draft. In fact, I'd say Justice, Winston, and Colledge are about it, and they need to prove themselves against Dwight Freeney and Jason Taylor. Nick can compete with anybody they draft, it is Britt and Light he has to worry about.

Interesting that BB took two first day LTs last year with the forecast for OTs this year. :rolleyes:

Box_O_Rocks said:
According to Pro Football Weekly, Colledge had some bad interviews - I wonder where he stands on our board.

Their quote was :

"Came off as a self promoting phony in team interviews and rubbed some scouts the wrong way."

Last edited:
I don't mind if they move down into late 1st round but I would hope it involves improving our second round position. 29 and 40-45 do it in a heartbeat....

Feep_FLA said:
I don't mind if they move down into late 1st round but I would hope it involves improving our second round position. 29 and 40-45 do it in a heartbeat....

I agree. Possibly trade down in first and get another 3rd rounder. Then they would have three 3rd's and the could package two of them together to get an early to mid second. Of course this might not be the best solution, if the best value in this draft lies in the middle like some people are saying.

BelichickFan said:
According to Pro Football Weekly, Colledge had some bad interviews - I wonder where he stands on our board.

Their quote was :

"Came off as a self promoting phony in team interviews and rubbed some scouts the wrong way."
Yup, I've seen that reported. Still, there aren't too many day one tackles who don't have their faults, Justice waves pistols at people, Winston has a bum knee, Whitworth isn't a swing tackle, Whimper is inexperienced....

According to many teams, there are only 15 to 20 true 1st rounders (based on talent). This means our Pats must choose a strategy: try to pick one of these talented 1st rounders (trade up or hoping to be lucky at 21) or pick less talented players (trade down). I really think they will move, unless a first round talent, according to their board, will be available.

Last edited:
Read a lot of posts that said we may trade up for a higher "quality" player, but have to believe your theory is more feasible, trading down to the second or third round seems more feasible for this franchise..to try to figure out the minds of this franchise has proven to be great game and the subject of much speculation in Patriots Nation...I am sure whatever they do many of us will say WTF???

Trading down to add another day one or improve our day one positions gets my vote. There are so many ways to go in selecting players will have to leave the names to the Pats but my choice is LB and/or CB with first two picks and WR and/or RB with next two.

F.B.N. said:
Not my pick...but after reading mock after mock, and analysis after analysis. Belichick...will drop down as far as possible in the 1st round to get the most value(Colts) and then...he will select Eric Winston OT from Miami(FLA).

I can see BB wanting to trade back, but I can't see the Colts making this trade since they are pretty much assured of a quality running back falling to them in round 1.

What exactly would the colts be trading up with? They are not well positioned in the second or third rounds to really make this attractive. You want to sell me that we will drop back with the Jets and get their second first, and thier first second for our first and our first 3rd, I can believe it.

And if we are going to trade back in the first for an OL why not go with Mangold, our center is much more in question then our tackles and he is still a high value guy. Though I would be more inclined to wait until the top of the third and grab Greg Eslinger.

I won't speculate who the pick will be because I don't know diddly, but I really believe this trade down with Indy will happen.

Interesting thread.

Irish Hooligan said:
I won't speculate who the pick will be because I don't know diddly, but I really believe this trade down with Indy will happen.

Interesting thread.

The colts 1st (30th pick I think or maybe 29th) and 2nd round for the Pats at 21 would probl. be worth it.

A OT?

Let's see...Light, Mankins, Gorin, Britt, Kaczur, that's 5 although Mankins was a Guard last year and Gorin isn't too good. Um...no, don't think so. A first round pick who has no hope of getting playing time anytime soon.

Is anybody worried about the lateral mobility that Winston lost after his knee surgery??? Or that Wimbley tooled him repeatedly in last year's Miami/FSU game. I haven't seen a spanking as bad as the one Winston got that night in a long, long time.

If Winston does improve in year two following an ACL injury, he could improve the RT spot for sure. But that's a big IF?????

IMHO, this a risk worth taking by a playoff team with long-term vision, few short-term needs, and 11 picks.

Ochmed Jones said:
Is anybody worried about the lateral mobility that Winston lost after his knee surgery??? Or that Wimbley tooled him repeatedly in last year's Miami/FSU game. I haven't seen a spanking as bad as the one Winston got that night in a long, long time.

If Winston does improve in year two following an ACL injury, he could improve the RT spot for sure. But that's a big IF?????

Very True

Ochmed Jones said:

It wasn't only the FSU game. He didn't straighten out until the 6th game of the season, then he had a good rest of the year, until the Peach Bowl. We shouldn't forget that he started as a tight end at the U. He may turn out fine at RT after 2-3 years or so, but he's not going to step right in. If whoever drafts him insists on making him a LT, it will take longer. A 1st rounder, he is not.

mgteich said:
IMHO, this a risk worth taking by a playoff team with long-term vision, few short-term needs, and 11 picks.
Why is it a "risk worth taking"? You take a guy for a position already overloaded who may not be OK after coming back from surgery? In the first round? How in teh world does that make sense?

Risk worth taking? Why? You can get guys who will start and be effective. Not a "maybe he'll be OK player" in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back