PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A new Patriot...PSqder punter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Danny Baugher punter from Arizona....an unlikely candidate for the PSqd...maybe a punter after Miller retires??

Pats726 said:
Danny Baugher punter from Arizona....an unlikely candidate for the PSqd...maybe a punter after Miller retires??

Maybe an upcoming opponent (cough, Buffalo, cough) has some good special teams production and they want to do some extra prep without wearing down Miller's leg?

That was the first thought that popped into my head, anyway.

Pats726 said:

This is a strange one, Miller is signed to 2 more years and has been doing a solid job. Maybe we will be employing some 2 Punter formations...

Unless Miller is nicked up it is hard to explain this move.

cstjohn17 said:
This is a strange one, Miller is signed to 2 more years and has been doing a solid job. Maybe we will be employing some 2 Punter formations...

Unless Miller is nicked up it is hard to explain this move.

He was signed to the practice squad, not the roster.

Maybe.Miller is dinged up a bit..we;ll never know.....intresting though..this guy MAY be a keeper...

Brownfan80 said:
Maybe an upcoming opponent (cough, Buffalo, cough) has some good special teams production and they want to do some extra prep without wearing down Miller's leg?

That was the first thought that popped into my head, anyway.

This was my first thought too. It's really the only thing that makes sense, unless Josh has an unreported "leg injury". Then, they'll want to prepare Plan B for the punt team.

I don't like this for a myriad of reasons.

Patjew said:
I don't like this for a myriad of reasons.

What's not to like about a practice squad player? It's not like they even suit up on Sundays.

Brownfan80 said:
What's not to like about a practice squad player? It's not like they even suit up on Sundays.

Because he does not play a position which lacks quality depth, e.g. WR, ILB, CB, SS, FS. These are the positions, not Punter, that need to be filled on the PS. These recent personnel moves make no sense. Whatsoever. Chidi Iwuoma, Willie Andrews and Antwain Spann are "DB"s who cannot play "D"; same as "LB"s Izzo, Davis and Alexander. As of now, the pats have only 5 DBs worthy of taking the field: Harrison, Scott, Samuel, Hawkins and Hobbs (who was awful Sunday). Wilson is hurt, but will (probably; with BB one never knows) return vs. Buffalo, and Sanders is, well, Sanders - not ready (if ever) for prime time.

Speaking of time, if I have some to spare, I will go to Ourlads.com, in order to see if there are any teams that have a worse collection of backup LBs and/or DBs than the pats have. This barren wasteland of LB and DB depth could potentially kill the pats defense at the end of games, and at the end of the season.

captain stone said:
Because he does not play a position which lacks quality depth, e.g. WR, ILB, CB, SS, FS. These are the positions, not Punter, that need to be filled on the PS. These recent personnel moves make no sense. Whatsoever. Chidi Iwuoma, Willie Andrews and Antwain Spann are "DB"s who cannot play "D"; same as "LB"s Izzo, Davis and Alexander. As of now, the pats have only 5 DBs worthy of taking the field: Harrison, Scott, Samuel, Hawkins and Hobbs (who was awful Sunday). Wilson is hurt, but will (probably; with BB one never knows) return vs. Buffalo, and Sanders is, well, Sanders - not ready (if ever) for prime time.

Speaking of time, if I have some to spare, I will go to Ourlads.com, in order to see if there are any teams that have a worse collection of backup LBs and/or DBs than the pats have. This barren wasteland of LB and DB depth could potentially kill the pats defense at the end of games, and at the end of the season.

Iwouma replaces Gay who was mainly playing on ST. Spann was brought up before Iwouma was brought in for the same reason. ST players are needed, unless you want starters out there on ST.

A PS punter, WR, DB or LB would not be playing on game day regardless of their position, so saying a PS player has anything to do with gameday depth is a strange statement.

If there were more DBs that could help the team laying around out there I'm sure they'd be signed to the actual roster, being that we have one spot open. But either way I have no idea how a PS punter has anything to do with our actual Roster depth at any position.

He's here to help prepare for Buffalo and to share kicking duties in practice. This has absolutely no negative effect on anything.

The only reason that this makes any sense is that Miller is dinged, and if he does not recover in 2 weeks we can activate this guy.

GJAJ15 said:
The only reason that this makes any sense is that Miller is dinged, and if he does not recover in 2 weeks we can activate this guy.

How is that the ONLY reason? Brownfan80 just explained that a PS punter could be here so that they can practice punt return and coverage formations without having Miller do all the work.

captain stone said:

Your trying to make the Practice Squad one dimensional in your thinking neighbor. The name of the unit indicates a two-fold purpose, extra players to practice with and against to give the team different looks and challenges. It also indicates a player who needs to develop more may get that experience on the squad. A third purpose is to give an eligible player an extended tryout, beyond the one day visitations with Pioli & his minions. Our new guru of positive thinking, BF80, has a pretty darn good explanation.

Brownfan80 said:
Iwouma replaces Gay who was mainly playing on ST. Spann was brought up before Iwouma was brought in for the same reason. ST players are needed, unless you want starters out there on ST.

A PS punter, WR, DB or LB would not be playing on game day regardless of their position, so saying a PS player has anything to do with gameday depth is a strange statement.

If there were more DBs that could help the team laying around out there I'm sure they'd be signed to the actual roster, being that we have one spot open. But either way I have no idea how a PS punter has anything to do with our actual Roster depth at any position.

He's here to help prepare for Buffalo and to share kicking duties in practice. This has absolutely no negative effect on anything.
I agree with this. The only possible badness even remotely related to this move is the possibility that Miller is injured. Otherwise, this just frees up Miller to practice in the manner that's best for him while someone else pitches extra "batting practice" for the coverage team.

This was from scout.com, written Nov., 2005:
Baugher, one of three national finalists for the Ray Guy Award, had his season end prematurely with a knee injury after returning a blocked punt against Oregon. Before the injury, Baugher was leading the nation with a 47.5 yard average on 37 punts. Arizona’s all-time leader in total punts, he finished the season with 15 kicks of 50 or more yards, placed 11 punts inside the oppositions 20-yard line, broke two Pac-10 punting records and saw just 14 of his kicks get returned.

Source:
http://arizona.scout.com/2/472290.html

Ah yes ... double wide punters...NEM asked for innovation and Belichick listened. :rofl:

first thing I thought was surely there must be a punting Juggs machine for this??? Or, is that too easy like Duhhh why didn't we think of making one from the Juggs company? You know..never can have enough Juggs...the more the merrier.

We are going to put a punter in the backfield on every play so other teams have no idea when we are punting. Just think of the field flipping we could do punting on first down.

PS. My guess is we will be auditioning new punt returners over the next two weeks and he is here to kick ALOT.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
It just strikes me as anti-Semitism.

Kraft is a well-known anti-Semite.

I went back and read the Pro Football Weekly writeup, he was a very strong legged guy before a knee injury. If we can keep him on the PS and if his strength is back to where it was, he's interesting competition for Miller who is getting old and may be worthy of a competitor next year.

jimmyjames said:
How is that the ONLY reason? Brownfan80 just explained that a PS punter could be here so that they can practice punt return and coverage formations without having Miller do all the work.

Lightbulb just went on. Maybe working out Faulk's replacent at PR?, (I hope).

Any candidates besides Andrews? Smith available, or any one else for a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft