PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A May 2007 unit by unit comparison of Pats, Colts, Chargers on paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of the three could win and represent the AFC but the Colts the current champs have by far the most questions to answer and the poorest depth after all the free agency losses. They need to replace 7 of the 11 starters on Defense, for example. In some cases there are players groomed to play but other positions are wide open. There is little in the way of redundancy there is only the groomed replacement and then unknowns.

Where are there not players groomed as replacements? WLB, there's Keiaho. CB, there's Jackson and Hayden. And that's three starters, not seven.

I agree that our depth is probably the worst among the three teams, but I also think our depth has a chance to be better than it was last year. We had to pick up a bunch of guys on cutdown day last year (Klecko, Boiman, Schobel, Lacasse) because of some poor draft picks on our DL (along with the Simon fiasco) that didn't get it done. I don't see that happening this year because we still have those guys on our roster, and more importantly, I think we had a good draft where we've filled most of our holes. I know we're talking about draft picks, but I'm pretty confident in these guys based on what I've read from some experts. We will be very young, but the Colts are always young and relying on draft picks. I'm excited about the guys we drafted and free agents we signed, because I think we won't have the depth crisis we had last year again in the foreseeable future.

I was a little surprised that they ranked Indy above SD in the secondary. I think Cromartie has a chance to be very good, and this type of analysis often overlooks young, ascending players like that. I have some confidence in Hayden, Jennings, and our rookies, but I haven't been impressed with what Marlin Jackson has shown at corner so far.

I'm not sure why you guys would disagree with their DL ranking. Jamal may be the best NT in the league, but New England has three studs on the DL and one or two good backups as well. I'm not sure I'd qualify Olshanksky as a stud, and NE probably has better backups.

Great observations. Especially how the analysis overlooks up and comers. Cromartie is special and many are betting that he'll beat out Florence. If Jammer hadn't just gotten a big new contract, I'd have it going the other way. Regardless, SD has pretty good corners and are dragged down overall because of their safeties.

Oshansky IS a stud, but he is as raw as they come. He played at Oregon, but grew up in Russia with zero exposure to the game. Before his knee injury last year, the GM picked him as the season's big surprise. Again, the tie goes to the veterans and NE is more experienced.

It is funny how much respect this board gives to the Broncos!? I hate em. They are cheap shot artists and I'll never respect Shanahan for coaching them that way.

Great observations. Especially how the analysis overlooks up and comers. Cromartie is special and many are betting that he'll beat out Florence. If Jammer hadn't just gotten a big new contract, I'd have it going the other way. Regardless, SD has pretty good corners and are dragged down overall because of their safeties.

Oshansky IS a stud, but he is as raw as they come. He played at Oregon, but grew up in Russia with zero exposure to the game. Before his knee injury last year, the GM picked him as the season's big surprise. Again, the tie goes to the veterans and NE is more experienced.

OK, I'll look out for Igor this year. I haven't seen dominance from him, but I also haven't seen him as much as you have.

As for your safeties, I've always thought McCree was pretty good. Do you disagree, or are you saying that based on the other safety? You don't think Jue or the other guy can be adequate?

OK, I'll look out for Igor this year. I haven't seen dominance from him, but I also haven't seen him as much as you have.

As for your safeties, I've always thought McCree was pretty good. Do you disagree, or are you saying that based on the other safety? You don't think Jue or the other guy can be adequate?

McCree is a run stuffer more than a DB. In reality, yes, the other guy (Kiel) was a liability. We really needed a ballhawk and Weddle may be our guy. Jue hasn't been healthy and hasn't impressed that much. For now he is the starter until Weddle beats him out. Our secondary should be improved, but no telling till the whistle blows.

Igor's strong point is run defense. As he grows into the position, he's been yanked on certain passing downs. If he stays healthy, he should break out this year. Castillo will be a pro bowler. (and I'm going to get flamed in here for saying so, but mark my words)

Fair enough, maybe he is... I think Drayton Florence is underrated. He may as well played with a cast for all his missed INT's last year. Did you know that Florence has been working out with Moss during the off season? He's hungry...

Jammer just sucks at getting his body in position and his head turned back for the ball. He's a great hitter and has fantastic speed, but can't seem to put it all together. He'll never be a Pro Bowler in my book.

I can't wait to see who pans out to be a better safety, Merriweather or Weddle? I have to admit I was disappointed when the Pats took him, but Weddle may have the intangibles that a guy like Lynch has in Denver. The Chargers were terrible at defending the deep middle last year. Weddle appears to be more of a defender, Merriweather a hitter. Prolly a good pick for the Bolts real need.

BTW, its easier to play CB with a cast than it is to play Dline with a bad knee or ankle.

Where playing CB with a broken wrist hurts you:
Int's: Hobbs knocked down some balls he would normally intercept because of this. His knocking down that pass intended for Vincent Jackson against the Chargers was just one of the instances.
Tackling: you can't really use your hand to grab people when you have a broken wrist, and it becomes more like a club.
Jamming at the LOS: Hobbs likes to play physical, so not really being able to use his hand to jam WR's in the fashion he was used to effected his game, and it was obvious to me.

After the season Ellis himself said it was hard adjusting to the cast, and it changed the way he plays. Some things you may not know about him: fast, has a great verticle, is physical, a real gym rat who lifts an outstanding amount of weight for a small guy, and he's a good returner. I like Hobbs, and I liked him before the 2005 draft.

When it comes to Meriweather and Weddle everyone will tell you I like Meriweather the most, and I'm not just saying that because NE drafted him. From around Febuary 12th I've been saying how much I really like Meriweather, and that I believed he was the second best Safety in the entire draft (second to Landry). What Meriweather brings: CB coverage ability (held Calvin Johnson in check twice), went four games without giving up a single reception, hits very hard for a smaller guy (nick named the hitstick, and won Miami's annual hard hitter award, twice), likes to play the run, is good at diagnosing plays, rarely cought out of position, doesn't usually bite on play fakes, gets to the point of attack fast, is a good tackler who wraps up well (had 293 total tackles and holds the record for the most solo tackles by a Safety in Miami history, and the most total tackles by a DB in Miami history). Oh, and he was a defensive captain who gave out assignments.

Again, I want you to know I submitted many post to this board that were very simular to this one prior to NE's selecting Meriweather (just ask the members of this board), and I talked about how I wanted NE to draft him.

Last edited:
heres mine..i didnt look at the link ..too lazy

QB: Patriots = Colts > Chargers

RB: Chargers > Patriots > Colts (i'll take Maroney and Faulk any day over Addai)

WR: Colts > Patriots > Chargers (too early to tell how good Moss will be again.)

TE: Chargers > Patriots > Cots

OL: really cant tell..

DL: Patriots > Chargers(slightly) > Colts

LB: Patriots > Chargers > Colts

DB: Patriots > Chargers > Colts

so in the end: Patriots >>>>> Chargers >>>>> Colts

heres mine..i didnt look at the link ..too lazy

QB: Patriots = Colts > Chargers

RB: Chargers > Patriots > Colts (i'll take Maroney and Faulk any day over Addai)

WR: Colts > Patriots > Chargers (too early to tell how good Moss will be again.)

TE: Chargers > Patriots > Cots

OL: really cant tell..

DL: Patriots > Chargers(slightly) > Colts

LB: Patriots > Chargers > Colts

DB: Patriots > Chargers > Colts

so in the end: Patriots >>>>> Chargers >>>>> Colts

On offensive line I would put

San Diego, then New England, then Indianapolis.

Igor's strong point is run defense. As he grows into the position, he's been yanked on certain passing downs. If he stays healthy, he should break out this year. Castillo will be a pro bowler. (and I'm going to get flamed in here for saying so, but mark my words)
Well I'm not going to flame you over Castillo, he was my #1 first round choice for the Pats and I was very grumpy when A.J. grabbed him for you. I know Wade claimed Castillo was his best player, which is something with Merriman and Phillips flying around, but not surprising from my perspective watching from afar. Igor is solid, which is what was said about Ty Warren before he put it all together last season and dominated. I'd not trade the NE D-line for yours, but I'd gladly raid yours for for the NE roster, Pepper Johnson would have so much fun adding any of your starting threesome to his talent pool. The only issue with Jamal is the gray whiskers, but there's worse sins! (Seau!)

Well I'm not going to flame you over Castillo, he was my #1 first round choice for the Pats and I was very grumpy when A.J. grabbed him for you. I know Wade claimed Castillo was his best player, which is something with Merriman and Phillips flying around, but not surprising from my perspective watching from afar. Igor is solid, which is what was said about Ty Warren before he put it all together last season and dominated. I'd not trade the NE D-line for yours, but I'd gladly raid yours for for the NE roster, Pepper Johnson would have so much fun adding any of your starting threesome to his talent pool. The only issue with Jamal is the gray whiskers, but there's worse sins! (Seau!)
Castillo is a good man. I saw a different thread here where the poster was bugged because of his steroid troubles coming out of college. He was straight up and said he did it because he was frustrated with a lingering injury. Hell, people are prescribed steroids every day for the same thing...

You have to admire a guy who offered contract language that said he'd return his entire signing bonus if he ever tested positive again. I didn't hear my boy Merriman promising that this past season...

You're right though, Jamal is getting along. There is plenty of talk about how to replace a guy with his game. What is exciting is that these two teams meet early. Hopefully they'll all be at full strength. Seau's been drinking Gatoraide in his street clothes the last two times we've met. I'd like to see him do a few of his trademark telegraphing of a blitz and then over run the play. Don't get me wrong, Seau is one of my favorite Chargers, but I always wondered how great he could of been if he had the brains to match his passion and ability.

When it comes to Meriweather and Weddle everyone will tell you I like Meriweather the most, and I'm not just saying that because NE drafted him. From around Febuary 12th I've been saying how much I really like Meriweather, and that I believed he was the second best Safety in the entire draft (second to Landry). What Meriweather brings: CB coverage ability (held Calvin Johnson in check twice), went four games without giving up a single reception, hits very hard for a smaller guy (nick named the hitstick, and won Miami's annual hard hitter award, twice), likes to play the run, is good at diagnosing plays, rarely cought out of position, doesn't usually bite on play fakes, gets to the point of attack fast, is a good tackler who wraps up well (had 293 total tackles and holds the record for the most solo tackles by a Safety in Miami history, and the most total tackles by a DB in Miami history). Oh, and he was a defensive captain who gave out assignments. .

The guy is a stud, no doubt. I just wonder if he's gonna stay out of trouble. I wouldn't of been upset to see him in Bolts.

Speaking of Calvin Johnson, he said Weddle was the defender he'd least like to play against again after he got shut down in the bowl game. The Chargers would of been in trouble if he'd gone before they had a chance to grab him. That was our largest need.

Where are there not players groomed as replacements? WLB, there's Keiaho. CB, there's Jackson and Hayden. And that's three starters, not seven.

I agree that our depth is probably the worst among the three teams, but I also think our depth has a chance to be better than it was last year. We had to pick up a bunch of guys on cutdown day last year (Klecko, Boiman, Schobel, Lacasse) because of some poor draft picks on our DL (along with the Simon fiasco) that didn't get it done. I don't see that happening this year because we still have those guys on our roster, and more importantly, I think we had a good draft where we've filled most of our holes. I know we're talking about draft picks, but I'm pretty confident in these guys based on what I've read from some experts. We will be very young, but the Colts are always young and relying on draft picks. I'm excited about the guys we drafted and free agents we signed, because I think we won't have the depth crisis we had last year again in the foreseeable future.

The openings are at CB1, CB2, SS1, FS2, DT1, DT2, WLB1 and SLB2/MLB2 (as Morris can't be at two places at once).

The grooming players are Jackson CB1, Hayden CB2, Keiho WLB1, Gilbert SLB1
Questions abound. Is Bethea a real find? who takes Doss's place? Is Brock for real? Is Booger some one to count on? Who replaces Baxter, if Morris is forced to SLB? Can Gilbert be salvaged? Who plays when Mathis gets crushed? Who plays when Sanders misses the two out of three games, he usually averages over his career?

The only saving grace is that the Defesne finished 31st last year and there is n't much to fall. This Defense is much weaker than last year, it could fall to 32nd though....

The Colts are much better and deeper on Offense except for QB and RB, where Manning and Addai are pretty much all there is.

The openings are at CB1, CB2, SS1, FS2, DT1, DT2, WLB1 and SLB2/MLB2 (as Morris can't be at two places at once).

The grooming players are Jackson CB1, Hayden CB2, Keiho WLB1, Gilbert SLB1
Questions abound. Is Bethea a real find? who takes Doss's place? Is Brock for real? Is Booger some one to count on? Who replaces Baxter, if Morris is forced to SLB? Can Gilbert be salvaged? Who plays when Mathis gets crushed? Who plays when Sanders misses the two out of three games, he usually averages over his career?

The only saving grace is that the Defesne finished 31st last year and there is n't much to fall. This Defense is much weaker than last year, it could fall to 32nd though....

The Colts are much better and deeper on Offense except for QB and RB, where Manning and Addai are pretty much all there is.

SS1 is not an opening, Bethea started just about every game last year and played well. So we're replacing a backup safety in Doss, or as you said, someone who can fill the run stopping role for Bob in case he gets hurt. We drafted Brannon Condren in the 4th Round, who's been described as an in-the-box safety. If he's not ready, Matt Giordano is a quality backup safety, though not a big run stuffer.

Gilbert Gardner got cut a week or two ago b/c he wasn't in the team's plans any more after the draft and his poor play last year. Morris will probably be SLB #1, veteran Rocky Boiman SLB #2, and 3rd year man Tyjuan Hagler MLB #2.

As for the DL, a lack of depth there was a huge problem last year. Enter Quinn Pit****, a run stopper from Ohio State with enough quickness to play in a slanting scheme like the Colts run. I will be disappointed if he's not the #3 DT so that Booger and Brock do not have to play almost every down like they did last year. Mathis will get spelled by Josh Thomas, as he was last year. Thomas, though, is average at best. Ryan Lacasse, who we traded for on cut day last year from the Ravens, is a second year guy who hopefully will improve and join the speed rushing DE rotation.

Look, I'm not saying our depth on defense is great, or even good. But it's still better than it was last year, and I think it looks good over the next few years because almost everyone is under contract then. We had some terrible draft picks that hurt our depth on defense last year, and this offseason (and waiver wire last year) are recovery mode from that.

But just because we lost some names on defense and didn't add any veteran names to replace them doesn't mean we can't be better on defense this year. In some cases it's addition by subtraction, like getting rid of two soft players at linebacker. And then there's young ascending players like Freddie Keiaho who could very well be improvements over their predescessors. We've added a little size up front in Pit****, and we'll have our best tacklers now starting in the secondary now that David is gone.

As for RB, the Colts are high on DeDe Dorsey. Dungy has said that he thinks he's ready to go. The loss of Rhodes is being overstated. I have no idea how good Dorsey is, but I do know that Rhodes was nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News