PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8/3 MMQB Peter King Firmly In Brady's Camp Against Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.
**** that. I hope Brady, Kessler & co. rip the league office completely apart up to the point where heads roll. I dont want thr situation to go away quietly and conveniently for everyone, but explode with as much league office blood as possible.

The phrase "let them all burn" has been on my mind for months. Any and all posts in the same vein automatically get a "winner" rating from me. I'm so repulsed by this filth.

He wrote "Which, apparently, science would support".... What does that mean? I don't think he's being sarcastic. This isn't a a debateable theory, this is a law. He goes on to say "if the balls don't deflate much at all". Again, I don't think he's being sarcastic. This is very basic easy to understand and easy to calculate science.

He mentions that the balls measure 11.49 on one of the gauges, but he left out the part on how that is the gauge the ref said he used.

I'm glad he's writing about these things, but he still doesn't quite get it. Is it a requirement to be a blockhead in math, science, and logic to be a sports writer? (Apologies to Florio, Jenskins, and a couple others)

The issue is where the ball are inflated, and the difference in temperature to where the balls are being used.

A simple rule would be that all balls must be inflated outdoors on the day of the game to minimize the effect that the temperature has.

So say the league suspends brady, and then changes the rule about how balls get inflated, and they test them an look no balls lost psi after they were all filled outside in the same temp as the game, The league can go "see no psi loss, the patriots cheated" while completely ignoring the fact that the whole ****ing situation changed. It's BS and at this point I wouldn't put it past the league.

King knows that the test of footballs this December will show that they will lose pressure. He is writing the options matter-of-factly without calling out the doubters as fools. He'd like this compromise, which he had a part in coming up with I think, to be adopted.

Using inflammatory language, even if accurate, doesn't help in getting both sides to think that it is a viable plan. You can't get a fool to come to the table once you call him a fool, in short.

A mediator, of sorts, arguing "Well, why don't we just see what happens" doesn't mean that he doesn't know what's gonna happen. It just gets the sides to go along with it when one side is too bull-headed to do it without some coddling.

Last edited:
The footballs will lose pressure this December assuming they don't just 'randomly' select dome games to test.

It's not just the cold weather. It's the footballs themselves have gaps in the leather that would cause air to leak.

Peter King seems like he's mostly there, but not quite. Take this quote from the article...

"4. It would behoove the NFL, as much as Brady, to get this matter over now. There is a nuclear-winter scenario. I’ve mentioned it before. But follow me here. The NFL has laid out a plan to spot-check footballs during the course of the season. What happens if, say, the footballs in a northern city on a day when it’s 40 degrees outside lose 1.0 to 1.5 psi between the pre-game measurement and the halftime measurement? (Which, apparently, science would support.) That’s nearly what happened to the Patriots’ football that January day in Foxboro. If the NFL’s examination of footballs in 2015 shows that kind of deflation, naturally, the whole case should be thrown out. But by then, Brady might have already served his four games. This would be the ultimate nightmare for the league, and for Goodell. Of course, if the balls don’t deflate much at all, the league will be able to say it had it right."

He wrote "Which, apparently, science would support".... What does that mean? I don't think he's being sarcastic. This isn't a a debateable theory, this is a law. He goes on to say "if the balls don't deflate much at all". Again, I don't think he's being sarcastic. This is very basic easy to understand and easy to calculate science.

He mentions that the balls measure 11.49 on one of the gauges, but he left out the part on how that is the gauge the ref said he used.

I'm glad he's writing about these things, but he still doesn't quite get it. Is it a requirement to be a blockhead in math, science, and logic to be a sports writer? (Apologies to Florio, Jenskins, and a couple others)

He is stating both sides of the argument. (Yes I agree with you in that he doesn't sound sure of the science)

'If you accept the Wells report verbatim then you are punishing a football player for a miniscule amount of air missing from those footballs and not for the 1 or 2 psi originally reported. '

'If you accept the AEI report then you are punishing a football player for footballs that were never deflated. '

He is basically saying that neither view warranted turning this into what it has become which is a very sellable point to all those who are not Patriots fans. IMO

The footballs will lose pressure this December assuming they don't just 'randomly' select dome games to test.

I'm looking forward to a 20 F degree game in GB and the balls dropping 2 1/2 psi and hearing all the people declaring it being some sort of voodoo hocus pocus and that the balls must have been compromised.

So he's not scientifically literate, but if he is saying that he will back Brady when the empirical evidence inevitably verifies the basic and immutable laws of physics, that still works in our favor. (The NFL will totally refuse to transparently release verifiable measurements though. Be prepared only to hear about measurements through biased leaks or to hear nothing at all.)
The cat is out of the bag. There will be plenty of people doing independent tests and they will be all over Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube....

After months of talk about the tide turning, it really does seem like NBC sports, at least, is planting their flag on the 'reality' side of this narrative. I have a hard time believing it's a coincidence that Florio and King--both affiliated with NBC, both contributors to Football Night in America--are going hard after this angle. Maybe they actually care about the truth, maybe the call from up top is that this is a perfect, rare chance to make ESPN look really bad. Don't know what their motivation is, don't particularly care. As long as the truth's coming out, good work is being done.

And this is potentially really, really good for us. Because if this story drags into the season, let's not forget who's putting on the most-watched game of every week. If NBC starts using airtime on FNIA and SNF to call out what the league's trying to do here, there's actually a genuine shot that it could get the exposure that until now I've been pretty sure it won't get.

King knows that the test of footballs this December will show that they will lose pressure. He is writing the options matter-of-factly without calling out the doubters as fools. He'd like this compromise, which he had a part in coming up with I think, to be adopted.

Using inflammatory language, even if accurate, doesn't help in getting both sides to think that it is a viable plan. You can't get a fool to come to the table once you call him a fool, in short.

A mediator, of sorts, arguing "Well, why don't we just see what happens" doesn't mean that he doesn't know what's gonna happen. It just gets the sides to go along with it when one side is too bull-headed to do it without some coddling.

I have contended for while now what is needed is a longitudinal study of the footballs throughout the season to gauge the impact of environment and game situations on footballs..

An easy out for Goodell is to hold all penalties in abeyance until this study is completed..

But that will never happen as his mind is made up and Brady destroyed his cell phone;);)

I'm looking forward to a 20 F degree game in GB and the balls dropping 2 1/2 psi and hearing all the people declaring it being some sort of voodoo hocus pocus and that the balls must have been compromised.

I'm hoping Kraft puts up a new monitor in the stadium with a simple view of a football with a gauge in it and calls it the Deflatometer. Every hot game the pressure would increase and vice versa.

The cat is out of the bag. There will be plenty of people doing independent tests and they will be all over Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube....

There were quite a few youtube videos (headsmart one of the more well known ones), that showed the pressure drop w/ temp, but ignored because patriots are evil, durrrrrr

After months of talk about the tide turning, it really does seem like NBC sports, at least, is planting their flag on the 'reality' side of this narrative. I have a hard time believing it's a coincidence that it happens to be Florio and King--both affiliated with NBC, both contributors to Football Night in America--who are going hard after this angle. Maybe they actually care about the truth, maybe the call from up top is that this is a perfect, rare chance to make ESPN look really bad. Don't know what their motivation is, don't particularly care. As long as the truth's coming out, good work is being done.

And this is potentially really, really good for us. Because if this story drags into the season, let's not forget who's putting on the most-watched game of every week. If NBC starts using airtime on FNIA and SNF to call out what the league's trying to do here, there's actually a genuine shot that it could get the exposure that until now I've been pretty sure it won't get.

Excellent point. They are taking a "safe" but aggressive angle on this. They have not completely committed to "no wrong doing" but have said that the leagues action and the possible deflation have both been completely over blown.

He is stating both sides of the argument. (Yes I agree with you in that he doesn't sound sure of the science)

'If you accept the Wells report verbatim then you are punishing a football player for a miniscule amount of air missing from those footballs and not for the 1 or 2 psi originally reported. '

'If you accept the AEI report then you are punishing a football player for footballs that were never deflated. '

He is basically saying that neither view warranted turning this into what it has become which is a very sellable point to all those who are not Patriots fans. IMO

I hear ya, but it's not like selling people on the theory of relativity, it's the relationship between temperature and gas pressure. We were taught this in middle school.

Also, I read a couple of comments and one comment was something like, "I didn't know that one of the gauges measured the balls at an average of 11.49." Adding in that that was the gauge the ref said he used would make a significant difference to that reader and many others. Why leave that out? To compromise? I say give the readers the facts. There has not been nearly enough of that.

Last edited:
After months of talk about the tide turning, it really does seem like NBC sports, at least, is planting their flag on the 'reality' side of this narrative. I have a hard time believing it's a coincidence that Florio and King--both affiliated with NBC, both contributors to Football Night in America--are going hard after this angle. Maybe they actually care about the truth, maybe the call from up top is that this is a perfect, rare chance to make ESPN look really bad. Don't know what their motivation is, don't particularly care. As long as the truth's coming out, good work is being done.

Maybe NBC wised up and realized the league corruption is a bigger story. Somehow I doubt that, but it would be nice. Probably just a coincidence

Maybe NBC wised up and realized the league corruption is a bigger story. Somehow I doubt that, but it would be nice. Probably just a coincidence

Yeah, I'm still skeptical that anything comes of this, but at least it seems like a possibility. This story really needs a Woodward and Bernstein, as I read here last night, and if King and Florio want to be it, then they absolutely have the platform to get the job done. The fact that an ESPN takedown would help their corporate masters' interests might even be enough to ensure that they aren't kept on a short leash to ensure that the league isn't displeased.

It's not just the cold weather. It's the footballs themselves have gaps in the leather that would cause air to leak.

Physically possible.
Highly unlikely to a measurable degree.
Only some very low % of defective balls would do this to a substantial level over a brief time interval.

Physically possible.
Highly unlikely to a measurable degree.
Only some very low % of defective balls would do this to a substantial level over a brief time interval.

And I would assume that any ball with a slow leak that would be significant over the course of one half would be identified in the ball selection/prep process, long before it was selected for game use.

Maybe not, but I don't blame anyone who finds this pretty easy to dismiss. Seems like kind of a non-story to me. Although if I was Bizarro Ted Wells I would surely be spinning this as direct evidence that proves the Patriots are innocent.

Yeah, I'm still skeptical that anything comes of this, but at least it seems like a possibility. This story really needs a Woodward and Bernstein, as I read here last night, and if King and Florio want to be it, then they absolutely have the platform to get the job done. The fact that an ESPN takedown would help their corporate masters' interests might even be enough to ensure that they aren't kept on a short leash to ensure that the league isn't displeased.

That's an angle I hadn't considered and it would make sense. If NBC could show ESPN/ABC as corrupt it could prove very good for business for the NBC Sports network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST