PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7/31/06 PM observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jczxohn1

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Got a chance to stop in this pm. Haven't been since the Pete Carroll days. My first impression, therefore, was obvious. Besides the light-year difference in organization, it was interesting that you couldn't see much of what the defense was doing til the scrimmages. The O-line one-on-one drills were pretty far away as well. Up front were passing drills, TE blocking drills and RB's hitting a sand-bottom inflatable dummy. (Corey was laying more wood in 4 strides than the others were in 6.)

Passing drills were pretty crisp. Not many balls hitting the ground.

In the 7-on-7 drills, Keron Henry caught a couple on the R side but later muffed a 1st down in the 2 min. Thomas looks like a pro. Gets open, catches in traffic. Reche looked like a David Patten clone. Stone and E. Davis got a lot of work. Troy might have dropped one, nah, couldn't have been. Maroney and Dillon were both active. A couple of times Maroney stayed in while Dillon lined up way wide on the R side. (How do you spell head-ache?)

In the 11-on-11 I tried to watch the pass rush on Rosie's side. Liight was in and looked great, but if there is a hole Rosie will find it. Great recognition. Later, Mincey and Tully got some time, but didn't impress. Wright, however, did get through. Klecko played NT some and pass-rushed well. Collapsed the pocket by quickness once.

Finally, My Man Hank downed punt in the drill, although he muffed one earlier. Played CB on the L at the end but most of the passes went R.

I'm sure there was more, but these were just my observations.

Last edited:
Re: 7/31 PM observations

Good eye, John. Sounds like Dillon is out for blood this year. Did Heath Evans take part in the RB drills? I'd think he could lay the wood as well as anyone, he's certainly big enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting you asked. His first hit, Heath practically did a tumblesault, hitting the dummy with the flat of his back. Coach (?) gave him some instruction and his second attempt was soft, but in the proper form. He picked it up from there and did demonstrate some power. Pretty raw was my impression but maybe he'll pick it up.

Thanks. Quite a competition this year at FB/RB. He's got a battle on his hands to make the team.

Don't know why I missed your post earlier John - Good stuff!

Evans needed a lot of work on his blocking, I like him as a power runner and a receiver, but I'll take Faulk or Pass for blocking any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft