PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

6 players reached escalators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is $6M to $7M a good working estimate for what we have available in free agency?

Lets say we have $7m. I know we are seeking a FA CB and perhaps Jason Taylor. We have also had another FA Safety in so we are not done there with only two signed.

I am now looking for possible trades and cuts to move some more CAP space.

I have mentioned this but I want to know the CAP implications of this deal. Lets say the Eagles or someone else nibble at the Maroney deal. It makes sense for them. Buckhalter is gone and they need a bigger back to split time with Westbrook, not a 25 carry guy. We know now Maroney is not that guy to do a big carry load, and the NE Scouts should have known because he shared the backfield in college with Barber. The Eagles need a TE as well and Thomas is buried here. The Eagles have three decent OLB. We wanted Gocong in 06, the same year as Maroney and Thomas. If we can pull off a trade and a pick, that frees up how much money for Maroney and Thomas departure? Gocong probably stops the Taylor venture but he is a suitable replacement for Vrabel. Makes sense. He is at the stage Vrabel was when we got him. Faster, same size but a better sack resume in college.

The Eagles thing might be theory but I don't see Maroney or Thomas on our 2009 roster. How much would they save?

I am thinking Bodden (or at least a decent FA CB) will cost at least $3m. I would love to see Roy Williams despite everybody's drama about him. We use the SS differently than the Cowboys. Our SS is like a rover LB. I could see him (or another S) costing us another $3m minimum on even a "prove it" deal with Williams.

That is $6m. Now to try and sign a OLB/DE like Taylor that gives us only $1m and that is if we do not resign Wright, a punter and a LS.

Some say we are dead in the water for other FAs and I agree unless we ship out Maroney (come on cousins, Taylor did not come here to play 4th string!) and Thomas (see Chris Baker).

I think Maroney and Thomas would be our only route to CAP freedom and the ability to go after a Taylor, unless we move Jarvis Green and that won't happen. Kaczur has a big CAP for a JAG, although he played better later last year. He had less sacks against than most of our O-Line.

It's nice to talk about Peppers and Taylor, but not without CAP space. We are done. What else can we do to move space? Who will restructure?

DW Toys

The Eagles thing might be theory but I don't see Maroney or Thomas on our 2009 roster. How much would they save?

It would cost us money. Next fantasy.

I think Maroney and Thomas would be our only route to CAP freedom and the ability to go after a Taylor, unless we move Jarvis Green and that won't happen. Kaczur has a big CAP for a JAG, although he played better later last year. He had less sacks against than most of our O-Line.

DW Toys

You're a funny guy DW. If you want to start contributing more than agenda driven whimsey you might try clicking here before you start babbling nonsense:

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2009 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

We lose cap space if we trade or cut your favorite whipping boys du jour. Thomas would save $226K but you can't even replace a 3rd TE for that, let alone with one who knows the system heading into camp. Maroney's cap hit accelerates from $1.7 to $2.1M if he's cut or traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes