PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

53: is Reiss right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Sorry to open a new thread on 53 but it is that day in the year
This projection in my view most accurately translates events on the field and injury situation
+ brings to discussion some new ideas:

Light on WRs, heavy in front seven in final Patriots roster projection

1) First interesting view is to carry only 4 WRs incl. Amendola (Slater on ST) - adding another WR from elsewhere
This would sound ludicrous just a couple of weeks ago ... but it doesen't sound so far fetched today - on the field nobody outside locks really earned a place ... and with Amendola uncertain, Mitchell recovering and Martin limping out of the lockers with knee injury I wouldn't be surprised

2) He keeps in all BBs guys that big part of this board would part with: Bolden, King, Grissom, even Rufus

3) In the most confusing position - OL - he suggests what was very visible in the last two games that Barker might be a surprise provisional option at RG. On the field he did get ahead of Karras, Kline is a ? and Mason, Cooper most probably not ready to go week 1. Of course a new addition here is possible as well, maybe not by today - so I guess this position will remain a revolving door for some time. He also keeps Fleming and cuts Waddle which is true to snaps on the field and believes Solder is ok.

4) @DE w Nink SUS - he adds not only Grissom but also Rufus, which goes against all other projections but again translates snaps from the field and BBs inclinations + rehab ? of Sheard (who should be good to go) and McC

5) @CB He keeps LeBlanc over D Roberts and JJ which corresponds to the snaps and believes LeB injury is minor. Id pick JJ here for his ST value, some would DR, but it looked like BB was most impressed with how aggressively LeBlanc was playing.

6) He keeps King and Rufus who would have no problem to make it to PS and cuts JJ and E.Roberts who would most probably be gone elsewhere.

In my view this might be the closest to 53 we would have by 4pm today.
Much will depend on what they decide to do with Danny. I guess they would prefer to keep him on PUP and stash him for the second part of the season but we have only two WR locks healthy. And on the injury status of Martin, Mason, Cooper, Solder, Sheard, McClellin, Gaffney
-
I would of course prefer some way of keeping/not exposing JJ and E.Roberts.
I would also prefer Harbor over Rufus.

But after 4pm the true game for the last spots actually starts ...

Last edited:
I think Reiss will be farther off than anyone who has posted a 53.

GIF-Gorilla-Attack.gif

"And finally... Dobson... GONE!";)

There are several of his selections that I don't agree with but whatever.

Call it a hunch but I suspect they'll bring in a couple players from other teams via trade or outright released/cut

I think Reiss will be farther off than anyone who has posted a 53.

Yep, his projection is a surprise, to be charitable. Particularly:

- Yes Kline, Barker, and Fleming on OL; no Waddle or Karras

- Yes R. Johnson AND Grissom AND McClellin at DE

- Keeping every single ST-first candidate (Slater, Bolden, Ebner, King[as a linebacker!], KGH) except Jonathan Jones

GIF-Gorilla-Attack.gif

"And finally... Dobson... GONE! Hmmm... I better run away after that one...";)
I saw a UHaul outside his condo this morning.

Barker and Fleming have been downright bad this TC. As I mentioned in PFKs thread about the game the other night, they both had some serious issues. I can't see the Pats keeping them just because.

Same with Geneo Grissom. I looked for him to take that next step and he hasn't. In fact, he seems to have regressed. A rotation of Sheard should be ready to go game one and him with Flowers and Long should be more than enough until Nink gets back from Suspension. Especially with McClellin also coming back soon.

Reiss is a great guy but he is a reporter. The guy has no feel for the game - his 53s are always wrong. If BB played a guy a lot to give the guy a chance before cutting him, Reiss would think that means BB loves the guy and is keeping him. Reiss has shown to be a great reporter who has no intuition.

I think Reiss....had too many odoules when he put the list together.....

Barker and Fleming have been downright bad this TC. As I mentioned in PFKs thread about the game the other night, they both had some serious issues. I can't see the Pats keeping them just because.

Same with Geneo Grissom. I looked for him to take that next step and he hasn't. In fact, he seems to have regressed. A rotation of Sheard should be ready to go game one and him with Flowers and Long should be more than enough until Nink gets back from Suspension. Especially with McClellin also coming back soon.

Agree on most part. But let me remind you of Freeny. It was a unanimous shock here (to put it mildly) when he got extended since most of the board wanted him cut. So what we see of guys like Fleming, Barker, Grissom, Rufus (and my assessment of them is not far from yours) is very often different from that of BB and coaches.

On another note, one guy on the bubble who gets cut on most projections could still be a surprise stay - Kuhn. BB might not want to go into the season with only one DT vet especially with that guy being happy-go-lucky Branch.

With limited room, salary considerations, and versatility needs, no roster in the nfl can be solid at all positions. All teams have plenty of weaknesses. It is no surprise that NE will keep players that some posters deem worthy of being cut. There is no other way. We are lucky to cheer for a team that seems to have many strengths & decent depth. But "yes", there will be a handful of players on the roster who would be replaced if there were no limits.

There are several of his selections that I don't agree with but whatever.

Call it a hunch but I suspect they'll bring in a couple players from other teams via trade or outright released/cut

They always do. Probably this year will be no exception, regardless of how strong the roster currently seems.

Who expected the Mingo trade?

Last edited:
Yep, his projection is a surprise, to be charitable. Particularly:

- Yes Kline, Barker, and Fleming on OL; no Waddle or Karras

- Yes R. Johnson AND Grissom AND McClellin at DE

- Keeping every single ST-first candidate (Slater, Bolden, Ebner, King[as a linebacker!], KGH) except Jonathan Jones

McClellin's roster spot is not in danger.

They always do. Probably this year will be no exception, regardless of how strong the roster curgently seems.

Who expected the Mingo trade?
They always liked him but that was a shocker

Two trains of thought

1) The Pats are whispering bogus roster info to Reiss because he works for Evil Corp.

2) Reiss nails it and the keyboard GMs head back to their mommas' basements awaiting graham crackers and milk

Go Reiss Go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference