PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers release former Patriots linebacker Tully Banta-Cain

Status
Not open for further replies.
If TBC wants to sign for the Vet minimum with no guaranteed and little signing bonus (say 200 K or less) so he can compete in training camp with the youngsters - I see no problem with that. I mean he is not owed the VET min until regular season starts - correct? If he beats out a youngster - that is not TBC's problem. Sure he probably has 'peaked' - but it is all about fielding the best team possible - right? We are super bowl ready NOW and no telling how long Brady has left.

I mean I am tired of waiting on the future 'potential' on some of these players for example: Chad Jackson, David Thomas, Marquise Hill (RIP), Bethel Johnson, etc. (and to some degree also Watson and Mahroney.

In fact - I think some of the 2nd round drafting problems Pats have had last several years, have to do with BB & SP picking for future potential instead of picking solid 2nd round talent. Why take a 'potential star' WR in 2nd round when you can get one of the top 3 or top 5 guards, centers, safeties, and sometimes ILB'ers & RB's in the 2nd round. Trade for the skill players that have 'made it' in NFL (a la Welker) and draft for ability to help NOW. We are so close to another Lombardi and the window might soon be closing.

I could see Tully back and as an upgrade to where Colvin was - At least in a part-time role

But then again during this BB Patriots era, has Belichick ever signed a player years later after he let them go to another team and signed them again later once that other team released them? (Colvin not included)

I can't remember any off hand besides Rosey

What about Tebucky Jones? (Yeah, and look how that turned out) Also, didn't BB re-sign Roman Phifer after he had made the rounds elsewhere?

Anyway, someone mentioned that TCB had weight issues, which I didn't know. But if no one else takes a flyer I could see BB have him come for training camp (at the right price) to see if he's got anything left.

time for the re-tread's to come out of the woodwork, wait the thread is already going

TBC was a much better pass rusher than Woods. If you want a decent third-down designated pass rusher, TBC is an option. However, he was one-dimensional; poor in coverage and less effective against the run.

Woods is better as a general back-up OLB, and is better at setting the edge. If you want an injury replacement for a starter, Woods is a better option.

Sort of two different roles.

The Pats sure could use a better third-down pass rush. They got killed on third down this year as the QB's had time to find the open receiver. Joining the consensus, if he is interested in a one-year low-cost deal, there might be a role here.

TBC is a good situational player. The problem for the 49ers, they paid him like a starter which he isn't. He can start as an injury replacement, but not as the anointed starter for 16 games.

I would probably expect the Browns or Broncos to make a stronger play for him than us. They need LBs who know the Pats' system far more than the Pats do.

TBC was a much better pass rusher than Woods. If you want a decent third-down designated pass rusher, TBC is an option. However, he was one-dimensional; poor in coverage and less effective against the run.

Woods is better as a general back-up OLB, and is better at setting the edge. If you want an injury replacement for a starter, Woods is a better option.

Sort of two different roles.

The Pats sure could use a better third-down pass rush. They got killed on third down this year as the QB's had time to find the open receiver. Joining the consensus, if he is interested in a one-year low-cost deal, there might be a role here.

well.....I was thinking the same about woods, except that he wasn't effective as a pass-rusher, either

If TBC wants to sign for the Vet minimum with no guaranteed and little signing bonus (say 200 K or less) so he can compete in training camp with the youngsters - I see no problem with that. I mean he is not owed the VET min until regular season starts - correct? If he beats out a youngster - that is not TBC's problem. Sure he probably has 'peaked' - but it is all about fielding the best team possible - right? We are super bowl ready NOW and no telling how long Brady has left.

I mean I am tired of waiting on the future 'potential' on some of these players for example: Chad Jackson, David Thomas, Marquise Hill (RIP), Bethel Johnson, etc. (and to some degree also Watson and Mahroney.

In fact - I think some of the 2nd round drafting problems Pats have had last several years, have to do with BB & SP picking for future potential instead of picking solid 2nd round talent. Why take a 'potential star' WR in 2nd round when you can get one of the top 3 or top 5 guards, centers, safeties, and sometimes ILB'ers & RB's in the 2nd round. Trade for the skill players that have 'made it' in NFL (a la Welker) and draft for ability to help NOW. We are so close to another Lombardi and the window might soon be closing.

I agree with everything in this post.

TBC released

I figure he was a big enough part of the Pats to deserve his own thread.

Turns out he only got 4 sacks in 2 years for the Niners. Indeed, he got 5.5 his last and best year for the Pats, and whole 6 in the whole rest of the career to date. Only one was ever for a forced fumble.

Tully Banta-Cain - San Francisco 49ers - Career Statistics - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

I'm not getting excited about the possibility of a TBC return, given his performance the past two seasons.

TBC had weight issues in SF. He's pretty much hit his ceiling as a 3-4 OLB. Re-signing him takes up roster space that could be used for players with more to offer long term.

No.

Well, if it's a weight problem there's actually a little hope of reform.

Anyhow, I don't see where he'd be more than a vet minimum, no guarantee except low five figure SB type of player at this point.

Banta Cain is one of those guys who runs around a lot but never makes any plays.

No offense to TBC but when 49ers fans were excited thinking they were getting an up and coming LB it was worth a laugh.

that being said, if our coaches think he's worth it I'm all for bringing him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back