PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

48 of 114 Posters picked the Bengals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked Cincy, but not due to the doom and gloom articles, but due to these facts.

One, a great passing offense vs a defense missing two starters in thier secondary.

Two, Cincy beat the defending champs last week, last week we looked lethargic on offense. I did not think we would all of a sudden find one of the sickest running days in Pats history, nor would Doug Gabriel finally play a full game and show why we traded for him.

Historically during our great run the last 5 years, these have been the games we have won. Games when we have been counted out, games when the pundits would be ready to drop the last dirt on our dynasty and ready to give the next contender our throne, and we just show just how bad we want to win more than any other team out there. I am glad I was wrong, as yesterday was my favorite regular season win since probably Pittsburgh last year or the famous Wille stuff vs Indy on 4th and goal.

Inspite of the Denver game I think there were good reasons to pick the PATs.

1. Cincy LB core was hit badly and they were having a hard time stopping
the run. and
2. PATs had shown a great run offense aginst two teams that have
problems stopping the run.
3. PATs new WRs were getting better
4. Every one knows how Tom reacts after a loss.
5. The Oline was ticked off at themselves for the Denver game.
6. PATs had shown a good run defense in precious games.
7. Several of the past passing D bloopers were just great throws with a little
luck thrown in. It wasn't that PATs defense was out of place.
8. Steelers were getting to Palmer and why not believe PATs would get to
him also.

I don't think many PATs fans will underestimate this team again this year.
..... but then again...:confused: ... who knows.

Last edited:
PatsFanSince74 said:
I had a little time after lunch today and went throught the Official Week 4 "Predict the Score" thread for last weeks game.

I found infromally that the tally was 56 for a Pats win vs. 48 for a Bengals win (I'm sure I missed a few, but I don't think I'm off by much. That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys. (BTW:you can check my own prediction at Post #88--Pats to win by 24--17).

And, one poster had the score exactly right but predicted that the Bengals would be the winners and that the score wouldn't really be "THAT close" because it was a game of "men vs. boys," with the Patriots obvioiusly on the junior side of that equation...

No wonder Gillette goes quiet at the first sign of trouble.

This is an unfair post and I think shows a lack of class on your part. We all root for the Patriots every Sunday but just because some of us thought they were going to lose to what looked like a very good team doesn't mean we aren't diehard fans. I'll be the first to admit that I was dead wrong about the game and very happy that I was. However, playing the Bengals with three starters not making the trip didn't look good for the Pats. They did their usual great job of overcoming obstacles and proving people wrong once again. For you to post an "I told you so" thread after the fact, tells a lot about you in my opinion. Let me ask you something: How many people picked the Pats against the Broncos last week? How come you didn't point out that too many people were drinking the Kool Aid? In my opinion, this post is a joke and so are you. I would rather talk football with objective people than someone who picks the Patriots every single week and then makes sure to tell you that he was right after the game. Great job buddy.

Make that 49/115 because, although I didn't post to that thread, I definitely expected a Bengal win. Not because I'd given up on the season - not close. But we clearly didn't seem to be clicking on all cycliders and @ Cin with two starting DBs out seemed like a horrible matchup.

I'm very pleased with my prediction but Cincy actually scored on more field goal than I predicted, and I definitely didn't give our offense enough credit! I'm super impressed by Britt, and Kaczur coming back was also very re-assuring. Enough's been said about Maroney and the improvement among the receivers

I'm Ron Borges? said:
This is an unfair post and I think shows a lack of class on your part. We all root for the Patriots every Sunday but just because some of us thought they were going to lose to what looked like a very good team doesn't mean we aren't diehard fans. I'll be the first to admit that I was dead wrong about the game and very happy that I was. However, playing the Bengals with three starters not making the trip didn't look good for the Pats. They did their usual great job of overcoming obstacles and proving people wrong once again. For you to post an "I told you so" thread after the fact, tells a lot about you in my opinion. Let me ask you something: How many people picked the Pats against the Broncos last week? How come you didn't point out that too many people were drinking the Kool Aid? In my opinion, this post is a joke and so are you. I would rather talk football with objective people than someone who picks the Patriots every single week and then makes sure to tell you that he was right after the game. Great job buddy.

" the lady doth protest too much, methinks" ...:D

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
T......... However, playing the Bengals with three starters not making the trip didn't look good for the Pats. ........

Hey BTW, Ron .... did you see "his coverage suks" Scott miss all those cover assignments? :D

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
This is an unfair post and I think shows a lack of class on your part.

How is it unfair? The number of fans on this board who picked the Bengals to win is newsworthy, especially after the Patriots pulled off a classic "don't write us off just yet" game. The guys who believed in the team just happen to look much smarter than you do today.

*edit* and about calling the guy classless, you do read your own posts right?

Last edited:
I`ts easy to pick the pats to win every week.
I`ts harder to pick them to lose.
The question was who will you think will win not who are you rooting
for.It would be a boring post if everyone had pats winning 21-17.

PatsFanSince74 said:
That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys.

Interesting take. Not one I agree with. These type of posts are exactly why I stopped predicting Patriots games on this board.

Miguel said:
Interesting take. Not one I agree with. These type of posts are exactly why I stopped predicting Patriots games on this board.

Miguel - you are RIGHT in stopping your predictions but no way should you have been forced to do so for fear of being harassed.

It just so happens I picked the Pats 27-13 and said it would be a Patriots game all the way and a win for us much easier than most believe.

Big deal - I was right, so what. If I was wrong I would hope I would not be chastised in any way.

This is supposed to be FUN people. It's OK to be wrong. It's OK to pick the way you feel. This is a Patsfans group, as such, I hope it is for fun and amusement only.

Some people go crazy in here sometimes. Please everybody, show your brother & Sister patriot fans some love and respect. Let's have fun, there is enough crap in the real world for me - when I come here, i am looking to escape all of that BS.

PatsFanSince74 said:
I had a little time after lunch today and went throught the Official Week 4 "Predict the Score" thread for last weeks game.

I found infromally that the tally was 56 for a Pats win vs. 48 for a Bengals win (I'm sure I missed a few, but I don't think I'm off by much. That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys. (BTW:you can check my own prediction at Post #88--Pats to win by 24--17).

And, one poster had the score exactly right but predicted that the Bengals would be the winners and that the score wouldn't really be "THAT close" because it was a game of "men vs. boys," with the Patriots obvioiusly on the junior side of that equation...

No wonder Gillette goes quiet at the first sign of trouble.

I didn't make any predictions, but I felt this was a game the Pats would probably and (because the season is still young and the team is still developing) could afford to lose as long as they beat Miami next week.

I guess PSF1974 is just a better fan than some of us. (Dripping sarcasm).

I picked the Bengals and am glad to answer to the charge of "lack of homerism". You're right, I call 'em as I see 'em not as I dream them to be. I'm estatic that I was wrong; the Patriots game made my day.

The pick had nothing to do with Brady's "body language" which was an overblown story that I didn't believe when the comment was first made. Give me a break. Brady was unhappy that he and the team weren't doing well against the Broncos and now the team is falling to pieces? The story was garbage. So is your accusation that people who picked the Bengals were doing so based on silly little things like that as opposed to the facts of the Patriots playing a team with a (IMO) great QB and an overall solid team at home. There's a reason why they were 7 point favorites! If the Patriots play them 10 times, the Patriots are not going to win all 10 of them; in fact they may not even win half. The Patriots have a good team, but there are a number of good teams out there (including the Bengals) that don't need luck, just solid play to take the Patriots down. Just like the Patriots can take them down with solid play. The Patriots proved just how solidly they can play; it was a great thing to watch.

I'll continue to call 'em as I see 'em which means that I won't be predicting a 16-0 season (or even a 15-1 season).

Miguel said:

I'm sure that, in any given week, a lot of us, myself included, question whether the Pats are going to win on a particular Sunday. What I reacted to was the unrelenting negativism and criticism out here last week about everything from the team's attitude to its performance to whether management and the coaches even knew what they were doing. I sometimes get the impression that a lot of folks jumped on the bandwagon in 2002 and either don't understand how tough it is to succeed at all in the NFL (let alone succeed in the manner that the Pats have succeeded) or don't know what to do when the road gets bumpy.

I wasn't reacting to people who think the Pats might lose on any given Sunday, but to those who were ripping them and giving up on them without knowing what they were talking about. So, I did my summary and called some people out.

PatsFanSince74 said:
So, I did my summary and called some people out.

You called everyone who picked the Bengals out as if the only reason that they picked the Bengals was that they lost faith in the Patriots.

Your words - "That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys."

The 48 posters are in a contest. If they felt that picking the Bengals would give them the best chance to win the contest, how is that a reflection on their faith in the Patriots?? Let's say that some of the 48 had picked the Broncos last week. Why would it be unreasonable for them to have picked against the Patriots for the 2nd straight week?? You have no idea who of the 48 chose the Bengals because they feel that choice was their best chance to gain bragging rights and yet you lumped them all in the same category. That is my problem with your post. Is the contest "Predict how much the Patriots will win every game by??"No, it is not.

You did not call some of the 48 out. You called all of them out with your title. As if all of them had the same motivation for their selection.

Those who picked the Bengals should get banned from the site.

Last edited:
Miguel said:
You did not call some of the 48 out. You called all of them out with your title. As if all of them had the same motivation for their selection.

Correctamundo.

I chose the Bengals in a shootout 31-30. Go read my post and decide if you want to hang me out to dry.....

The only person who NEVER EVER wanes or strays from the land of Homerville is PATSNUTme.........everyone else has their 'moments' of reality and rationale or contrarianism.

May the Mayor of Homerville forgive me and no one else.

TruthSeeker said:
I picked the Bengals and am glad to answer to the charge of "lack of homerism". ..........

It's funny how Bengal pickers are to make themselves look good ....
"Look at me ... I'm not a Homer" :D

Hey bottom line ... and it's ok to be wrong you know .... it's just that
many PATs fans didn't realize
1. the Depth of this team
2. the Potential that was there
3. the Weakness of the Bengals.

also some seem to have only short term memories:singing:

Were having fun with ya ... don't get all bent out of shape. No one is
questioning your Fan loyalty ( i don't think) :rocker:

this site really needs a filter that will kill any use of the word homer. Now you're a homer if you pick the Pats to win after a bad loss when they're playing a team that just played an emotional game against a division rival. The game screamed bounce-back game for the Pats and letdown game for the Bungles.

Thinks homer = "doesn't agree with me" the way people here toss it around

It was perfectly reasonable for those who picked the Bengals. When I did my season predictions I had the Bengals game as a loss. I picked the Patiots to finish 12-4. That's four losses.

However, when it comes to the contest I will never pick against the Patriots unless I think it totally hopeless. I don't care where I stand in the contest. It's too close to the game and I, being a Homer, would not pick againts my team.

But, I have no problem with those who do care about standing in the contest, and will pick againts the Patriots, scum that they are.:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News